muscle pain

xdream

Sep 15, 2007
hello im new to cycling and just started maybe 4 months ago.

when i first started riding it was the most fun experience if had in a long time. im 21 years old and i would ride almost everyday. then one day i was riding a flat course and tried to as fast as i could. well that turned out to be a bad idea and i felt my muscle in my right leg hurting. i just slowed down and kept going because i was far from home.

here is where it hurts. my right knee but not the center ( patella) but just left to the side of my knee. the ligaments or between the 2 big leg bones. there are a few ligaments there and i can pinpoint it out but u can see a picture here http://www.innerbody.com/image/skelfov.html . also my muscle hurt on my right leg just above my knee and again to the side, i believe its called vastus medialis u can see a picture here http://www.innerbody.com/image/musfov.html

well ever since then the pain has never went away and ive take breaks up to a week long. its really starting to bother me because i could easily go 65 mile rides no problem but now i dont even wanna try because i know it will give me problems.

my approach has been to just relax then build up really slow but it doesnt seem to work. what can i do before riding to make it better, never really streatched before longer then 30 seconds, and now if i stretch for like 2 min it still will end up hurting if i go on a 15 mile ride which is the least i ever do.

When just getting back into cycling, it is normal to be sore. However, your pain persists despite time off. Go see your doctor.

Have you tried raising your saddle a bit?

xdream said:
hello im new to cycling and just started maybe 4 months ago.

when i first started riding it was the most fun experience if had in a long time. im 21 years old and i would ride almost everyday. then one day i was riding a flat course and tried to as fast as i could. well that turned out to be a bad idea and i felt my muscle in my right leg hurting. i just slowed down and kept going because i was far from home.

here is where it hurts. my right knee but not the center ( patella) but just left to the side of my knee. the ligaments or between the 2 big leg bones. there are a few ligaments there and i can pinpoint it out but u can see a picture here http://www.innerbody.com/image/skelfov.html . also my muscle hurt on my right leg just above my knee and again to the side, i believe its called vastus medialis u can see a picture here http://www.innerbody.com/image/musfov.html

well ever since then the pain has never went away and ive take breaks up to a week long. its really starting to bother me because i could easily go 65 mile rides no problem but now i dont even wanna try because i know it will give me problems.

my approach has been to just relax then build up really slow but it doesnt seem to work. what can i do before riding to make it better, never really streatched before longer then 30 seconds, and now if i stretch for like 2 min it still will end up hurting if i go on a 15 mile ride which is the least i ever do.

yea that was the first thing i did. it helped a little but came back again. it might be that it went down again!

after a week long break i did 20 miles and then it started showing signs that i was gonna start hurting soon. so yesterday i went for like a 5 mile ride and it stopped hurting.

i believe that iam just not stretching before i go properly and on top of that go on 2 tough of a ride without building up for it.

FWIW if I do an L6 or L7 effort without warming up (bad idea with my knees) and hurt my knee I just stay away from L5, L6 and L7 for about 6 weeks take more vitamin C and it eventually does get better. I just ride while keeping breathing under control even on hills.... it seems to keep me under the knee pain radar. If I didn't feel better after six weeks I would stay at L2 natural all day pace when riding just for therapy allowing some detraining to occur:( hoping to see improvement.

xdream said:
yea that was the first thing i did. it helped a little but came back again. it might be that it went down again!

after a week long break i did 20 miles and then it started showing signs that i was gonna start hurting soon. so yesterday i went for like a 5 mile ride and it stopped hurting.

i believe that iam just not stretching before i go properly and on top of that go on 2 tough of a ride without building up for it.

It might be a pinch nerve or something because as you said it doesn't go away. I think you should have that checked before it worsens.

I am sorry about your leg. Some years back when I was feeling some pain on my right leg, I had ignored it and continued with my biking. Take note that I was only riding leisurely inside our village. But there came a time when the pain was getting stronger until I noticed there was a bulge on my right calf. It was like a mouse that persisted for a few days. Whenever my leg experiences abuse like when I go jogging or riding, the bulge would always appear. Now I cannot ride anymore because of the warning of the physician.

If I were you, I would consult a doctor about your leg problem before it gets worse.

As a rule of thumb, any physical pain which you haven't felt before should be rested appropriately (if you don't have time to consult a doctor and you're sure it's not a fracture). If it's about 3 days and the pain is still there occasionally, then you should really consult a doctor so that you won't have to endure the suffering and to prevent further injury.

Don't overuse your ligaments, that will only get worse. Try to put some ice/hot pads and rest your knee for about a week, take some pain killer pills like Ibuprofen every 8 hours for 5 days, and use some support for your knee (like an elastic bandage). When you go back to biking, go slow pace and for short time. If you feel pain again, you should go check it up with a doctor.

Hey there! Sorry to hear about your knee pain. Rest, ice/hot pads, and pain killers can help, but do see a doctor if pain persists. Happy biking! :)