Muscle Recovery

chevmaro

Apr 2, 2014
I have only been riding for 2 months. I'm not in the greatest shape but I am making improvements. After a ride I always feel wiped out my legs and abs will be sore for a day or two after. My arms are also minor fatigued. I have made big improvements with my performance. When I started a 10 minute ride would kill me. Now I can go up to two hours and 30 miles and still survive. When I ride a couple days in a row I actually feel better then when I take a day off. I really thought the muscle soreness would be gone by now. I cycle 4-5 times per week minimum 1 hour rides. I haven't exercised at all in about 3 years prior to this.

I don't really diet but I don't eat junk and I count calories. I try to eat around 1800 calories or less per day. I started at 206 lbs. and I'm now down to 195. My target weight is 180 lbs. I am naturally husky.

I live close to the mountains. 3-5% gains on just about every street. It's not flat and a 1 hour ride is much harder then when I have ridden down in the valley. Some climbs are 2-3 miles long.

Is this a diet thing or is there a supplement I should take to feel better post ride? Any advice?

Although it's going to be tough with that low of a calorie limit, post-ride you need simple carbs like sugar. There's a window after physical activity during which your body will readily accept glucose. Giving it glucose during this time can make a significant impact on recovery.

However, muscle soreness just kind of is what it is. For most people it's worse two days after the activity rather than the day after. If you ride or workout 3-4 days per week, that means you're always going to be sore. During the winter I'm at the gym four days a week. My muscles are never NOT sore. If you're pushing it each workout, you're going to be sore. You don't ever hit a point at which you're immune to muscle soreness. You just get used to it and eventually even come to enjoy it. I've had a busy week this week and missed a few days riding and lifting. The fact that I'm not sore today makes me feel like I'm lazy. Eat healthy, get sufficient protein, and get plenty of sleep. That's all you can do.

If you're sore immediately upon finishing the ride, you might want to look at your riding position. If your quads are sore immediately following the ride, your seat might be too low. Your muscles should be fatigued after the ride, not sore. Sore comes at least 12-24 hrs later. If you're sore during or after the ride, your position is most likely off and you're actually hurting yourself.

Cycling doesn't get easier. You just get faster Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by doss

Cycling doesn't get easier. You just get faster

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have totally noticed this. I thought at some point it would be easy but then I find myself pushing harder and harder going further and faster. I do have more tolerance for high intensity training then i did before.

I just got home from a 22 mile ride and 1.5 hours. I'm not sore, tired but feel ok.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

Double check your riding form while riding. Your upper body should stay fairly silent. You don't want to be muscling a gear all day long. It builds bad habits. Stay as smooth on the bike as possible. It builds good habits and makes your body more efficient.

Number one thing is drink a lot of water and stay hydrated. Get a lot of rest and make sure you get a lot of protein and complex carbs. Your body needs the extra fuel.

The fact that you've only been riding actively for the last two months can explain your muscle soreness. I think you're pushing yourself too hard and you need to take things a little bit slower.

I'm not an expert on biking in particular, but especially starting out with any fitness program there will be some soreness and the regular remedies apply. Drinking water and making sure you have decent protein intake are the things that have helped me the most.

jeremy2 said:
The fact that you've only been riding actively for the last two months can explain your muscle soreness. I think you're pushing yourself too hard and you need to take things a little bit slower.
This is a double edge sword. We are always told to push pass the pain in our workouts and then we also get the "you need to rest". So it can go either way. Sore muscles are apart of the athletes life to become better. But there is a difference between sore muscles and an injury. If it is an injury then you need to rest and recuperate. If it's sore muscles, then hell, get a good stretch, warm up a bit and keep on pushing.

This reminds me of gym class. The trainer is pushing you beyond the pain and then another says to take it easy and go get a sip of water. There is a fine line between hard work and crazy. If you are hurting yourself, then stop. If its just a burn from the acid that's building up on your body, then push on.