muscle soreness creams/rubs?

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
What creams/rubs do you guys use for regular muscle soreness? mostly my quads, glutes, and sometimes calves. I've tried A535 and Bengay. They seem to work a little - nothing like they advertise though! Wondering what others here have had success with.

thanks.

The application of the creams do far more for soreness than the creams themselves. Analgesics really just hide it.
They key to recovery from soreness is circulation.

Massage your legs with oil (olive, grapeseed, coconut, etc...) using broad, flushing strokes (effleurage) with moderate pressure. NOT DEEP! That adds insult to injury.

Follow that with some contrast bathing in the shower.

I've found regular use of Traumeel sub-lingual to be fairly effective in relieving some of the discomfort.

As a professional I feel strongly that every serious athlete should own a Thumper for post-training tapotement. It's high speed tapotement no human can duplicate.
www.thumpermassager.com

I'm a big fan of 'the stick'. It takes care of my quads and calves quite well. Here's the info: the stick

I use the original, but I've used the travel and it is almost as good.

There's really not much you can do to get over the soreness aside from waiting it out. It's caused by a number of things:

-Lactic Acid that hasn't been flushed out
-Microtears in your muscles
-The repair process causing hypertrophy. The muscles are getting larger, so they're pushing up against nerve endings, signalling pain.

Things you can do to make the soreness a bit more bearable:
-Gentle Stretching
-Gentle Massaging
-Alternating Hot and Cold cycles in the shower
-Keeping your protein intake high*

*Keeping your protein intake fairly high is important. Protein is what helps to repair your muscles. If you're not getting enough protein, then it takes longer to recover. Usually 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight is more than enough if you're on a very strict and intense training regimen.

Also, some active recovery is helpful. Short easy rides (20 minutes or so) or a walk around the neighborhood is good as well.

Beta-Alanine really does work well for muscle soreness. It has some build up in the system, so take it regularly for a week or two before you really start to feel the positive effects.

Other than some supplements, a super cold, filled with ice, ice bath really does the trick. Stay in the ice bath for 10+ minutes, numbing the muscles. Emerge legs.

Cameron Hoffman
Pure Endurance