Muscle twitches.

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by gman0482, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Hey everyone,

After taking almost one month off, I began my everyday indoor training again. This is my 2nd full week back, and after yesterday's workout, all day today my right quad muscle (vastus medialis, near the knee) is twitching. No pain or soarness, just this annoying twitch. Is there anything to worry about ? or is it normal. I've had some muscle twitching before, just not all day.

Thanks,
    -Greg

Tags:

2. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Wow, awesome, thanks for all the help... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

3. anonimo

anonimo New Member

Is this the first time this has happened to you? For years, I've been getting twitches all over my body -- painless, but very annoying, like yours -- whether I exercise or not . . . though it is worse after a hard workout. Apparently it is something called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. Hopefully, that's not what you're coming down with! (There is a forum at AboutBFS.com, if you're interested.)

4. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Thank you. I get these twitches very rarely, sometimes in my shoulder or forearms, and painless. I did a hard workout the day before, and since that time it went away.

5. stevesmith

stevesmith New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for posting this tip.
    Muscle twitches are fine movements of a small area of muscle.

Raymeds.com

6. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

It's possibly a mineral deficiency. Sodium, Magnesium, Potassium or Calcium--make sure you're getting enough of each of them. Each of the last two years, I've ended up with an eye twitch for about a month or more, and it turned out the first year was a potassium deficiency (I started eating 2 bananas per day, and it was gone within 3 days), and the second year, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was magnesium and sodium (the bananas didn't work, so I ate more potato chips and took magnesium supplements, and it faded away over the course of a couple weeks).

Again, just a possibility, I'm no doctor, but I'm in really good health.

Jason

7. JSWin

JSWin Member

Muscle twitches are from a lack of vitamin B1. Bananas, you can eat way more than that a day. Look it up. Bananas actually have the best nutrients in them you can live off of bananas, like you can live off of coconuts. They are the two best foods for human beings to eat. Some vegans eat 18-30 bananas a day.

8. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

In addition to upping your minerals, you can try massaging the muscle and surrounding muscles. It may help calm things down and stop the twitch. Since there is more than one possible cause, you might try more than one thing to resolve it until you find out what your body is needing.

9. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Holy necroposting Batman! :p What gives? This thread was pretty darn old and there were already answers to the OP in it. I usually don't notice but this one was years. Ah well, now I'm posting in it too and I'm off topic to boot. Shame on me. :lol:

gavinfree likes this.
  10. Dora M

Dora M Member

I also get these twitches from time to time, especially if I overdid it with cycling or exercising with weights. Usually the twitches go away after a few days. I simply rest as much as possible, drink plenty of water and also ginger tea, which helps to relax my muscles.
    Occasionally, I will also get cramps in my legs. Eating bananas works really well for that. The magnesium relieves the spasms quickly.

11. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

Shame on you and me both. Well, the short answer and reason is that JSWin has been going around and reviving pretty dead threads for whatever reason. We're talking about a couple of threads that were from almost, almost a decade ago. I find it pretty annoying, but some people don't pay attention to the age of threads that they're posting on. :rolleyes:

Jcycle likes this.
  12. Vickeree

Vickeree Member

What about twitching fingers on your right hand ? Has anyone experienced this?

13. Runnerdo

Runnerdo New Member

@Vickeree I have not experienced that yet. The only twitching I get is my eyes which I think nothing much about anyway. There are superstitions attached to it which I completely disregard altogether :D

14. Keyan

Keyan Member

I had a few of them when I used to do weight training and the body part I trained on that day is usually the one that gets to twitch. They say the muscle is recovering but it had been such a worry for me having those uncontrollable twitches. I did try vitamin B complex but could not account which helped stop the issue.

15. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

It happened to me too and got paranoid, had a checkup the next day only to be told to take my B complex vitamins. When muscles twitches it seems that it's a sign that your body is begging you for some vitamins and minerals.

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

In our culture, that involuntary twitch is called "pasma" which is translated as spasm. It is caused by immediately washing or bathing after a workout. Old folks reprimand the youth when they take a bath right after a heavy physical activity. They say that you have to wait until your body stops sweating before you take a bath. The remedy for that involuntary twitch is hot compress or rubbing it with efficascent oil.

17. treecko142

treecko142 Active Member

Almost every professional athlete take a bath, usually in ice water, right after the sport or workout, and they don't really have any problems. Maybe it's a cultural thing among old folks, but there's no scientific evidence for that.

18. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

I have to agree, I always bathe in cold water after every ride and I don't get involuntary muscle twitches, until about 5 years ago, I noticed that everytime I do something strenuous, I experience some muscle twitches or spasms and i later found out from my doctor that the cause was lack of B Vitamins, it csn be cured easily just drink some B Vitamin supplements.

19. DenisP

DenisP Member

There are a number of reasons that may cause your muscles to spasm, so it’s kind of difficult to narrow things down to just one. With relation to physical activity, muscle twitching can occur as a result of the build up of lactic acid in the muscles. It can sound intimidating at first, but lactic acid accumulation is a regular part of physical exercise.

On the other hand, muscle twitching can also be caused by more serious conditions. These include, but are not limited to, damaged peripheral nerves (peripheral neuropathy), consuming more than 400mg of caffeine (caffeine overdose), decreased blood pH (alkalosis), and having too much calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia).

As usual, a check-up with a trained medical professional is best for anyone who might be worried about recurring muscle spasms.

20. treecko142

treecko142 Active Member

Yeah, Vitamin B deficiency is usually the culprit because it's a big family of vitamins and is usually taken for granted especially with the diet today of fast food. It's best to just supplement with vitamins rather than endure muscle twitching and other manifestations of vitamin deficiency.