Muscle Twitching

David_Lawton

Jul 17, 2004
This may sound funny but when I'm sitting around I can feel my muscles in my quad twitching (like there's something crawling around). It doesn't seem to do it all that much but it started about 2 or 3 months after I started cycling. I have been doing higher intensity work outs though. It doesn't bother me all to me much, but I'm curious about what the heck my body is doing. :p

Odds are it's due to muscle weakness. The muscle gets weak and cannot do its job, so it spasms.

Another (less common) cause is the buildup of metabolic junk in the area - do those recovery rides!

I'm pretty sure it's not due to 'metoblic junk'. If it is muscle weakness, though, then is that really bad? Meaning am I probably doing something wrong? I get them about maybe once or twice a day (usually on a rest day) that last for a couple of seconds.

Your muscle is weakened due to lactic acid attacking it while you're working out. It's weak but still trying to get you around all day so it's going to spasm - this should be pretty common while building muscles (is for me).

I have that problem also sometimes, and many people including doctors said its low potassium. So I started eating more bananas and bam, it did the trick no more muscle twitching for me.

jjiam said:
I have that problem also sometimes, and many people including doctors said its low potassium. So I started eating more bananas and bam, it did the trick no more muscle twitching for me.
try deoralite sachette once or twice a week, thats pretty great for replacing lost electrolytes, i used it throughout the summer just to keep everything balanced, worked a treat also especially during a ride, since electrolite and fluid imbalances i find are a major factor in muscle weekness on longer rides.