Muscles cramps

Evilbofh

Nov 26, 2009
After a heavy ride I sometimes get bad muscle cramps in my legs after the ride even thought I stretch and fill up with water after. What is the best way to avoid these?

Evilbofh said:
After a heavy ride I sometimes get bad muscle cramps in my legs after the ride even thought I stretch and fill up with water after. What is the best way to avoid these?
It's mainly a result of muscle fatigue, i.e., of doing a ride that's harder than your muscles can handle at that point. Eating/drinking/etc can help a little, but mainly you just have to work on your fitness.

Some folks claim cramps can be related to body pH as well. I'm a bad cramper and have tried electrolytes, supplements, and excessive hydration but I think it all comes back to training. I'm going to give the body pH thing a try this year with no real expectations, but I'll pretty much try anything to eliminate stupid cramping!

I chug on Gu CHOMPS and water. That keeps the salt levels in my body level. I don't just do that on long rides. I do that on my regular daily rides. So yay! for Gu! It does help me a LOT.

Another thing you might try that is cheaper than Gu is NUUN. It's also a salt supplement to maintain body properly hydrated. All of the above are available at REI and your LBS and online. Try one at a time in smaller amounts, follow instructions on packaging and see if it helps. If it does then order whatever suits you in bulk online. Usually AMAZON has good prices online, though REI has good BULK prices in the store too.

When I first started riding, I would get charlie horses in my legs after long rides after stretching as well. I asked my Dr. about it & he said it was likely a potassium deficiency. He told me to eat bananas, peanut butter or anything high in potassium & I haven't had a cramp since.

blackandred said:
When I first started riding, I would get charlie horses in my legs after long rides after stretching as well. I asked my Dr. about it & he said it was likely a potassium deficiency. He told me to eat bananas, peanut butter or anything high in potassium & I haven't had a cramp since.

A PB (and also J) sandwich is great for long rides. There's really no problem taking a banana along, either.

alienator said:
A PB (and also J) sandwich is great for long rides. There's really no problem taking a banana along, either.

op, if you ever get out on group rides you'll see just how many riders actually ride with one or more bananas stuck into the pockets of there jerseys. and when the group stops, usually at a convenience store, you'll see them purchasing bananas then so yes, since the dawn of time or bicycles, whichever came first as i can't honestly recall and history books have it all wrong anywho ;), bananas is the only way to ride...:eek:

Proper stretching I think. before you go for a long ride or something that that you need to push your self to the limit, you should do some stretching. Your muscles is not yet ready for the heavy ride specially after a long days or resting.

Treating muscle cramps comes down to a number of things.

Firstly comes staying properly hydrated. The average adult should be drinking somewhere between 2.5-3 liters of liquid a day, mostly from water.

Second, is properly fueling with electrolytes. Sodium is essential for sending nerve signals throughout our body, and many low-sodium diets can result in severe muscle cramping.

Other minerals such as magnesium and potassium play important roles in alleviating muscle cramping, so I'd recommend eating plenty of leafy greens and fruits like bananas.

Take time stretching and warming up before you start your bike ride, make sure you are always properly hydrated, and eating bananas will definitely help.

Even I sometimes get muscle cramps whenever I ride during a light drizzle of rain without changing my clothes. Also when a sudden change in temperature occur when I'm cycling then afterwards, when I'm resting I'll be having painful cramps in my leg.

What I do if I feel that I'm getting cramps often is I drink a lot of vitamin B complex and vitamin E also when sleeping at home I don't direct the fan towards me.

Your muscles are getting tired an affected by lactic acid, which is generated by muscular action. The best way to avoid those are by doing some warming before riding, have plenty of water/electrolytes while cycling, drink some base solution after exercising (the best one is plain club soda, the base will fight the acid), and do some stretching when you finish your ride. Use these tips and let me know if they work as well as they do for me.

Hey there! Thanks for the helpful tips on avoiding muscle fatigue and lactic acid buildup. I'll definitely try warming up before my rides and stay hydrated. The base solution suggestion with club soda sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot. Appreciate the advice, I'll let you know how it goes! Ride safe! ‍♂️