Musette and the Jan Ullrich fans website

Mexted

Jun 7, 2005
Hi,

I would like to take this opportunity to put on record Musette's participation on the Jan Ullrich fans website in 2002/2003.

I created that website for Jan Ullrich fans everywhere to share their thoughts about Jan Ullrich's cycling results, personal life and Jan Ullrich trivia.

A supporters website includes people who support the subject of that website.

I am happy to confirm that Musette posted messages which were very
anti-Jan Ullrich.

Musettes postings caused a lot of offence to members of the website.

Many posters requested her to stop posting derogatory comments about Jan Ullrich.
Many posters asked her to stop posting Lance Armstrong information in the site too.

Musette undertook to cease posting offensive remarks but only did so for a
short time.
This led to several active older members ceasing to post and I took the decision to terminate the website because membership numbers.

Mex.

I don't think musette's posts here are particularly interesting.

However, I do think that you should handle your own website problems on your own terms and on your own site and not whine on a public message board. Musette, as far as I know, has never been abusive or crude.

Being rah-rah cheerleader to a cyclist i(or accusing that cyclist's competitors without support of doping) is not the only way to support the cyclist. Just like things in real life, sometimes consructive comments are helpful to someone. Sometimes people don't like to listen to those types of comments. It is sometimes, however, consistent with wanting a cyclist to do better to point out his deficiencies and inadequacy of preparation, and how things have to change for that cyclist to be able to win the GC against LA.

I made many comments that pointed to the weaknesses in JU, and ways to improve those problems (including, notably, kicking Zabel off the TdF team and mimicking some of USPS' strategies for retention, training, tour preparation, etc.)

People leave sites for all sorts of reasons. The numbers were never that large to begin with, and sort of fluctuated depending on the time of the year (i.e., declined dramatically after the TdF).

musette said:
Just like things in real life, sometimes consructive comments are helpful to someone.

Eh, slagging off a cyclist to his fans isn't constructive - that's what you did on that fan site.

musette said:
It is sometimes, however, consistent with wanting a cyclist to do better to point out his deficiencies and inadequacy of preparation, and how things have to change for that cyclist to be able to win the GC against LA.

You posted stuff - on a JU fan site - telling the members how great a cyclist LA was and you slagged off JU throughout that site !
You were never interested in JU doing well - you're only interested in DC/USPS/LA doing well.
A subtle but important difference as noted on that site and noted on this site also !

musette said:
I made many comments that pointed to the weaknesses in JU, and ways to improve those problems (including, notably, kicking Zabel off the TdF team and mimicking some of USPS' strategies for retention, training, tour preparation, etc.)

That's correct - you can't help it.

Perhaps you could start your own fan site for those with the love of French roundabouts ?

I'd join and take the p*ss out of you.....

musette said:
Being rah-rah cheerleader to a cyclist i(or accusing that cyclist's competitors without support of doping) is not the only way to support the cyclist. Just like things in real life, sometimes consructive comments are helpful to someone. Sometimes people don't like to listen to those types of comments. It is sometimes, however, consistent with wanting a cyclist to do better to point out his deficiencies and inadequacy of preparation, and how things have to change for that cyclist to be able to win the GC against LA.

People leave sites for all sorts of reasons. The numbers were never that large to begin with, and sort of fluctuated depending on the time of the year (i.e., declined dramatically after the TdF).

Well, as I argued on that other site, since JU had (at the time) been second since 1997 only to LA and was behind GC only on him (at the time, he had not been also overhauled by Basso and Kloden)... focusing on trying to win against LA in the TdF (which was what JU wanted) required a detailed analysis of JU's problems and LA's successful methods.

I continue to argue that now. Even though LA will retire, JU must improve his preparation and other aspects of his performance even to beat Basso next year. I continue to believe:

-- TM needs to be more involved in JU's preparation beginning no later than January. His contractual provision that JU is solely responsible for training has to give in to the ncessities of coordination.

-- Kummer needs to go, and Olaf Ludwig doesn't seem particularly good either.

-- Recruit more mountain domestiques who have decent TTT capabilities. Test people more before you recruit them, as Bruyneel does with certain technical tests (incl. VO2 max, etc.)

-- Kick people like Schreck, Steinhauser, Nardello, Kessler off the TdF team and get some better domestiques.

musette said:
Well, as I argued on that other site, since JU had (at the time) been second since 1997 only to LA and was behind GC only on him (at the time, he had not been also overhauled by Basso and Kloden)... focusing on trying to win against LA in the TdF (which was what JU wanted) required a detailed analysis of JU's problems and LA's successful methods.

I continue to argue that now. Even though LA will retire, JU must improve his preparation and other aspects of his performance even to beat Basso next year.

Mexted told us what you posted on the other site Musette and I agree with Mexted.

Oh dear…..its horrible to see someone down and out but still claiming innocence.... wait there and I'll get OJ Simpson and Richard Virenque to have a chat with you... they were really good at it........

musette said:

I continue to argue that now. Even though LA will retire, JU must improve his preparation and other aspects of his performance even to beat Basso next year. I continue to believe:

-- TM needs to be more involved in JU's preparation beginning no later than January. His contractual provision that JU is solely responsible for training has to give in to the ncessities of coordination.

-- Kummer needs to go, and Olaf Ludwig doesn't seem particularly good either.

-- Recruit more mountain domestiques who have decent TTT capabilities. Test people more before you recruit them, as Bruyneel does with certain technical tests (incl. VO2 max, etc.)

-- Kick people like Schreck, Steinhauser, Nardello, Kessler off the TdF team and get some better domestiques.

nonameboy said:
im talking about the ullrich fan site.

I used to have a link to it but when the site closed I deleted the address from my address book in early 2004.

Mexted said:
Hi,

I would like to take this opportunity to put on record Musette's participation on the Jan Ullrich fans website in 2002/2003.

I created that website for Jan Ullrich fans everywhere to share their thoughts about Jan Ullrich's cycling results, personal life and Jan Ullrich trivia.

A supporters website includes people who support the subject of that website.

I am happy to confirm that Musette posted messages which were very
anti-Jan Ullrich.

Musettes postings caused a lot of offence to members of the website.

Many posters requested her to stop posting derogatory comments about Jan Ullrich.
Many posters asked her to stop posting Lance Armstrong information in the site too.

Musette undertook to cease posting offensive remarks but only did so for a
short time.
This led to several active older members ceasing to post and I took the decision to terminate the website because membership numbers.

Mex.
Seriously? This is a serious post?! You are not making some sort of sarcastic "inside" joke, or exagerratedly mock someone else who posted similar "requests"?!!

Crankster said:
Seriously? This is a serious post?! You are not making some sort of sarcastic "inside" joke, or exagerratedly mock someone else who posted similar "requests"?!!

Its a pity the sites not still going, Crank. Sounds like you and Musette could have done a tag team attack on it.

Any thoughts about D N A?

quote from Musete
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I continue to argue that now. Even though LA will retire, JU must improve his preparation and other aspects of his performance even to beat Basso next year."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may be right about Jan having to improve his preparation, especially during the off season, when he tends to let his fitness training slide a bit, but for someone who experienced two bad crashes early on, he certainly looked very good during the latter half of the Tour. He only came in 1 minute and 41 seconds behind Basso.

I am looking forward to the battle next year between Basso and Ullrich and I am hoping Ullrich wins. I am also looking forward to seeing Erik Zabel back in the hunt for the green as he is my favourite rider and Ullrich is my second favourite.

Sadly, I had to say that, even though JU's two crashes could partially be attributed to accidental circumstances, there could also have been a small part of the crashes that was within JU's control. In the first crash, he could have paid attention to the slowing/stopping car in front of him. In the second crash, he claimed he was hit by a sudden gust of wind. Well, when one is a top-tier professional cyclist, one better be careful about reacting to that if one hopes to win the TdF, doesn't one? Or one should position oneself so that one doesn't tumble off the side of the road, shouldn't one? ;)

...or riding into a small child carrying a bag on Luz Ardiden.

musette said:
Sadly, I had to say that, even though JU's two crashes could partially be attributed to accidental circumstances, there could also have been a small part of the crashes that was within JU's control. In the first crash, he could have paid attention to the slowing/stopping car in front of him. In the second crash, he claimed he was hit by a sudden gust of wind. Well, when one is a top-tier professional cyclist, one better be careful about reacting to that if one hopes to win the TdF, doesn't one? Or one should position oneself so that one doesn't tumble off the side of the road, shouldn't one? ;)

whiteboytrash said:
...or riding into a small child carrying a bag on Luz Ardiden.

Is there any pro cyclist that has been in any signifigant number of races that hasn't had a crash or mishap of some kind?
I seriously doubt it. To win takes skill,conditioning and a measure of luck whether you name is Jan,Lance, Eddie or whatever.