Music and riding

Buckeyes

Dec 17, 2009
I bought my first road bike a year ago and have been putting around 1000 miles every two months on it. I am comfortable with the roads and traffic patterns and have recently been wearing myself out doing the same old routes before and after work. I only listen to music while riding paths but it makes a huge difference. I was wondering if anyone rides roads with there Ipod and is it safe or frowned upon?

There are a few threads already on this but I can answer that I do not because my ears a vital tool when it comes to safety, traffic, dogs etc can create situations. Music is nice but not smart where I ride.

jhuskey said:
There are a few threads already on this but I can answer that I do not because my ears a vital tool when it comes to safety, traffic, dogs etc can create situations. Music is nice but not smart where I ride.

Same for me and the places that I ride where it might be safe to listen to music, I prefer listening to the sounds of nature. I find that very relaxing.

I wouldn't be comfortable listening to music in the city, but I would do it on a bike path where one's surroundings are a lot more predictable and calm.

I never listen to music out on the road. Too dangerous to remove one half of your usefull senses, and besides that, earbuds make my ears hurt. On the trainer it's a good tool to help pass time.

i listen to programes on radio rather than music at low volume and on the open road specialy on long rides i think it would be very dangerous in built up areas where you need all your sences

Thanks for all the input, I think I'll leave my Ipod at home and save it for a stormy day on the trainer.

My self daily do the cycling for the 12 Km and I listen the songs with My Mobile's headphone.and I feel more comfortable and I think music gives me the strength to do the cycling in the hot - hot weather.

I have 40GB of Brittany Spears loaded onto my iPod to prevent me from riding with music blocking out important aural information. Works a treat, you should try it.

Also useful for getting rid of unwanted guests when parties at your mum's house go viral and heaps of police have to get involved.

Buckeyes said:
I bought my first road bike a year ago and have been putting around 1000 miles every two months on it. I am comfortable with the roads and traffic patterns and have recently been wearing myself out doing the same old routes before and after work. I only listen to music while riding paths but it makes a huge difference. I was wondering if anyone rides roads with there Ipod and is it safe or frowned upon?

Hi there

I know it is frowned upon but I rarely cycle without music my iPod. I consider myself an experienced road cyclist and am cautious. Cycling with music is energizing motivating and gives a deep sense of freedom. I would be lost without it. I mostly ride under 2 hours or less. I've never felt my safety has been compromised but its not for everyone!

For musics....I myself bought an Ipod a year ago.But so far,I still don't dare to try riding with it.In my opinion(no offence),in between listening music when driving and cycling....it's a big difference.:D

I ride with my iPod. Both ear buds in when on a path/trial. Left one out when on the road. That lets me have the tunes in one ear and still hear traffic with the other. Works well for me at least. As others have stated, the music can be motivational, help with pacing, etc.

:eek:
rawhite1969 said:
I ride with my iPod. Both ear buds in when on a path/trial. Left one out when on the road. That lets me have the tunes in one ear and still hear traffic with the other. Works well for me at least. As others have stated, the music can be motivational, help with pacing, etc.

I feel like I am in the minority when it comes to riding with music. it really takes me away to listen to great tunes. i love music as much as I like to ride. It seems i can't ride without music. It does wonders for my soul! me too I ride with one when I feel it's necessary. On country roads and highways less often but maybe not as loud! thanks for your reply. Happy cycling dude or dude- ess!

Actually music is also my hobby but some time they are very risky while we are driving car bikes on the road so we should do enjoy but with aware .

I'm only speaking for myself but I have never understood why some feel that having music is a prerequisite to participating in certain activities. I could not ride wearing ear buds or headphones any more than wearing a blindfold. And no, I don't hate music as it would really be at odds with one of my cold weather hobbies of playing piano. But when I'm riding, I ride.....and when I play piano, I play piano. No need to mix the two.

In my opinion I feel that as long as you don't impair yourself riding with music is fine. On really busy roads I don't wear any headphones, on less traveled roads I'll wear 1 earbud, and on bike trails I'll be comfortable wearing both earbuds. As long as you feel comfortable and you're safe Ride Your Own Ride!