Music on the move.

Benji

Oct 31, 2003
Am knew to this forum but have been trying a few searches to try and find the answer to my question. Alas I could not so I turn to this thread for answers.

Anways, enough gibbering.

What are people thoughts on listening to music on the move? I can't imagine its safe?

What are peoples solutions?

Has anyone mounted speakers (and a sub :D ) to a bike with an MP3 player or something? That would be ideal and least dangerous but most difficult to set up.

TIA

Benji

I don't want anything that's going to take my attention away from my environment -- though I coudl be tempted by speakers. I have seen (heard) it done on group rides.

I'm sorry Benji but I could never do that. It'd be like trying to read the newspaper while having sex - and someone's bound to get frustrated!

Tim

why is listening to music whilst riding unsafe? I never ride without my mp3 player.

Originally posted by Benji

Has anyone mounted speakers (and a sub :D ) to a bike with an MP3 player or something? That would be ideal and least dangerous but most difficult to set up.

I've considered getting something like this for my commute. Then I could be bump'n when the H2 with vibrating windows pull up next to me at the light!

I always ride with my little MP3 player. Its lotsa fun listerning to your favourite music while crusing along. Remember, you dont have to have it blasting in your ears.

Oh and speakers?? Your kidding right? Ever heard of earphones and a portable MP3 player?? Picked mine up on eBay for AUD $180 and it plays around 2 hours worth of songs. Batterys last about 12 hours.

I'm sure we've all heard of headphones, but I depend alot on being able to hear cars while I'm riding... I can tell if a car is coming up behind me by the sound of their tires, so I'd wouldn't want to eliminate that by wearing headphones. Even if I did have speakers I wouldn't play the music really loud.

Another idea occured to me to just get a small speaker that will plug into a headphone jack and put that and my mp3 player in my saddle bag. This would work well as background music and wouldn't cost much.

The only music I have right now is whatever gets stuck in my head right before I go ride!

i keep my ipod in a resealable plastic bag to keep the perspiration out - my strategy is to have one ear bud in and the other hanging loose, it gives a very good mix between being able to hear all the traffic, and the music too. If anything i find myself concentrating on the ride so much that im not hearing the music, not the other way around!

Has anyone mounted speakers (and a sub ) to a bike with an MP3 player or something? That would be ideal and least dangerous but most difficult to set up.

next step - mount your laptop on the bars, and then an air conditioner under the seat. another proposals: a sattelite dish, a vcr, a little refrigerator and an umbrella. prepare your bike for halloween!

Originally posted by robkit
If anything i find myself concentrating on the ride so much that im not hearing the music, not the other way around!
I also find that to be the case; the music goes more to the background much of the time.

I have one of iRiver's small MP3 players that hangs around my neck - works great and has good sound. I use a pair of Sony "Fontopia" earbuds with it that also features good sound, but doesn't close my ears off completely as to what's going on around me - a definite plus for safety!

As for my "rules of listening:" if I'm riding in heavy traffic, I leave the buds in my ears but turn off the music. At this point, I'd much rather be able to hear a car coming up on me. I also turn off the music and listen to my bike if it feels strange or when I'm riding a very technical section of trail. Again, I'd rather hear what my bike is telling me in that case. Otherwise, I enjoy having music along most of the other times - especially when I'm cranking up a big hill. Still, on some rides, there's something to be said for hearing nothing but the sound of your own breathing and the mechanics of your bike...

Originally posted by mmpc001

As for my "rules of listening:" if I'm riding in heavy traffic, I leave the buds in my ears but turn off the music. At this point, I'd much rather be able to hear a car coming up on me. I also turn off the music and listen to my bike if it feels strange or when I'm riding a very technical section of trail. Again, I'd rather hear what my bike is telling me in that case. Otherwise, I enjoy having music along most of the other times - especially when I'm cranking up a big hill. Still, on some rides, there's something to be said for hearing nothing but the sound of your own breathing and the mechanics of your bike... [/B]

"As for my 'rules of listening' ", - there is nothing sweeter than the sound of a well tuned / oiled bike cruising down the tarmac. The purr of the rear cogs is the sweetest sound I know when I'm riding, and I still find I look around when as a pedestrian, I am passed by a solo or group ride (choir). Sounds stupid maybe, but I don't need any other distraction when I'm out enjoying myself, either commuting, or just riding.

Besides, riding in Sydney - Australia, you need to keep your wits about you to avoid the idiots who are driving while talking on their mobiles / cellphones, and then there are the pedestrians on the bikepaths who amble along like brown's cows with their ears full of headphones, and their heads full of cotton wool, and who are the sole inhabitants of the earth!

Anyway, each to their own. If you're going to listen to music, do it quietly, and don't get distracted. Always be aware that your attitude and behaviour on the road, reflects on all of us on two wheels, and it maybe one of us who cops the flak for something you did to p*ss a driver off!

"I work to ride - keep on rolling"

SteveD

the funniest thing I ever saw was this old Jamaican fella who rode the most beaten up bike I have ever seen. However this guy had managed to have music whilst on the move. How did he do it you may ask? On the rear rack he had an old car battery, in the front rack he had one car style speaker and in the bottle rack was another similar speaker. He taped a car tape player thingy to his handlebars. Absolute genius :D