Music on the ride to work...

Edudbor

Aug 19, 2007
I'm wondering if anyone listens to music while riding? I'm thinking of putting headphones over my right ear so I can still hear traffic with the left.

I actually have done this on few occassions. I actually dont mind it. I don't hae any trouble hearing traffic, but I do have a small issue of my damn head phone fallinf off and I lost an iPod once but that's mainly because I am a cheap ass and didn't buy better headphones, and a sleeve to hold the iPod in.

I really hesitated to do this but I've started listening with one ear and I find I can hear just fine. The bigger problem is being distracted. But I have a ride that is mainly along a bike path so I do it.

I used to ride with headphones on with one ear piece in and one out. I did not want both ear pieces in because there is a law in Virginia against operating a vehicle wearing headphones covering both ears, but I found it aggrivating to only be able to hear half of the stereo music. A couple of months ago I bought a set of bone conduction headphones. Bone conduction headphones do not cover the ear and do not interfere with your ability to hear traffic sounds. The ones I bought didn't work out perfectly, but I bought a small battery powered amplifier to boost the volume and the combination works pretty well. If I come up with a set up that wili hold them against my skull a little more firmly it will be perfect.

Edudbor said:
I'm wondering if anyone listens to music while riding? I'm thinking of putting headphones over my right ear so I can still hear traffic with the left.
I like to listen to radio on my commute so I use a little radio walkman and ear buds with hangers so they stay put. Most of my ride is on a MUP so I'm not worried about traffic surprises. Also I keep the volume reasonable.

what i do is turn my volume down so as to still here the traffic around me. maybe its just me, but as i start riding for a little while, the sound gets amplified a little, and the sound of the traffic seems to sound crisper and more defined, or maybe im just crazy?

I also use one ear bud and as long as the volume is down, there's no problems with hearing the traffic. Yet again, YMMV.

To keep it in, especially on bumpy road or fast rides, those foam covers help.

Never tried it. In my case it would take away from my focus on traffic during daytime riding....sure would be great for an energy boost though. Also, I kinda like getting away from noise which is a big reason why I cycle in the first place.

grimlock said:
what i do is turn my volume down so as to still here the traffic around me. maybe its just me, but as i start riding for a little while, the sound gets amplified a little, and the sound of the traffic seems to sound crisper and more defined, or maybe im just crazy?

I noticed that amplification as well. But I have stopped riding while listening to music. It just distracts me too much from the task at hand. But I do bring the iPod along so I can listen while reading at a cafe...

Edudbor said:
I work in a machine shop, so my ride to work is the only quiet time I get. No music here except the music of God's creation waking up.:)
http://greg.wyglewideweb.com/

Sometimes I sing songs from memory as I ride along. Generally songs by the 'Wombles'. Something with a good beat to match the cadence. Quite good for warning the slower traffic on the cycle paths that I am approaching, too.

I wouldn't use headphones or them little in ear things. Although I do see a few with them iPod things it does look quite dangerous, they just don't hear the cars. I feel being able to react to a cars engine sound is a very good way of staying alive.

And were stayin alive, stayin alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin alive, stayin alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin alive.

Darn just got to my desk and you've set me off again. :D