Music on the trail?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tacomaboy, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have music while riding. I really
    dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear that has external small
    speakers? I imagine it would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear
    something coming from the bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    Tags:

  2. David L

    David L Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have
    music
    > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear
    > that has external small speakers? I imagine
    it
    > would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear something coming from the
    > bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    I wouldn't recommend using any type of audio player on the trails, you need all of your senses wile
    riding. With some portable audio products there is a warning not to use them while operating a list
    of things, including bicycles.

    Keep it real, and safe.

    Dave

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have
    music
    > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear
    > that has external small speakers? I imagine
    it
    > would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear something coming from the
    > bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    Much debated around these parts. I think the standard setup is humming to yourself.

    I imgaine you could rig up some battery powered travel speakers (Sony and Creative both have these)
    to your portable music player and somehow mount the speakers on your 'Bak. If you come up with
    something, let us know. I'd be curious to see it. I don't imagine such a setup would sound all that
    good, but maybe you'll prove me wrong.

    Matt

  4. John G

    John G Guest

    TacomaBoy wrote:
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have music while riding. I
    > really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear

    Yeah, It's called "an imagination".

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:14:17 -0500, TacomaBoy wrote:

    > Is there any special head gear that has external small speakers?

    That'd just be irritating to other trail users. There really isn't any good solution. I recognize
    your delimma - when I can't get to any singletrack I ride the local fireroads, which is pretty damn
    dull. I've tried music a few times, but I've never been comfortable with it. Its particularly
    annoying when I meet other trail users; I'd end up replying to their greetings with just a puzzled
    look (cause I had no idea what they were saying!).

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:14:17 -0500, TacomaBoy wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any special head gear that has external small speakers?

    you could put a basket on the front of the bike with a boom box.

    penny

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have music while riding. I
    > really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear that has
    > external small speakers? I imagine it would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you
    > wouldn't hear something coming from the bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    Picture this:

    You're riding along a ridge above 13,000 ft in Colorado when you see a rider coming the other
    direction. As they near you, the magnificent silence of your chosen route is interrupted by the ever
    increasing volume of Slim Whitman's voice, belting out one of his most obnoxious ditties.

    I'm not sure about you, but I would be very tempted to find a wire on it and strangle the selfish
    sonofabitch with it.

    JD

  8. David L

    David L Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have
    music
    > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear
    > that has external small speakers? I imagine
    it
    > would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear something coming from the
    > bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    I actually saw advertised today, a helmet with built in speakers. you plug in your audio player. I
    call first dibs on a class action lawsuit.

    Dave

  9. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have
    music
    > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear
    > that has external small speakers? I imagine
    it
    > would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear something coming from the
    > bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    You just need to flip up your drop bars and carry a boom-box and your can of Pabst in one hand.

    Chris

  10. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have
    music
    > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear
    > that has external small speakers? I imagine
    it
    > would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear something coming from the
    > bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    Sorry if this came off wrong. I am not talking about blaring music or boom boxes. And I wouldn't do
    this on a dangerous trail. But for those days when I don't have time to hit a trail, or am on a flat
    paved trail with no traffic, it can get boring. I guess the answer is to not ride boring trails any
    more hehe.

  11. TacomaBoy wrote:

    > As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have music while riding. I
    > really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear that has
    > external small speakers? I imagine it would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you
    > wouldn't hear something coming from the bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    If you need music to make cycling interesting, you're not doing it right.

  12. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is

    Maybe I'm missing the obviousness of it... what's so dangerous about using these while riding? Get
    some of those ear-buds that couldn't possibly harm you in the event of a crash, then hook them up to
    a portable MP3 player (Walkman, or what have you).

    Having said that, I don't listen to music on the trail. Tried it, didn't like it... seemed to
    distract me.

    -John Morgan

  13. I think the distraction is what people are saying is dangerous.Sometimes when rounding a blind
    switchback, you can only hear other trailusers

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is
    >
    > Maybe I'm missing the obviousness of it... what's so dangerous about using these while riding? Get
    > some of those ear-buds that couldn't possibly
    harm
    > you in the event of a crash, then hook them up to a portable MP3 player (Walkman, or what
    > have you).
    >
    > Having said that, I don't listen to music on the trail. Tried it, didn't like it... seemed to
    > distract me.
    >
    > -John Morgan

  14. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is
    >
    > Maybe I'm missing the obviousness of it... what's so dangerous about using these while riding? Get
    > some of those ear-buds that couldn't possibly harm you in the event of a crash, then hook them up
    > to a portable MP3 player (Walkman, or what have you).
    >
    > Having said that, I don't listen to music on the trail. Tried it, didn't like it... seemed to
    > distract me.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    There's this little thing called communication which some of us like to use when we encounter
    others. Phrases which I like to use include "On Your Left", "Rider Back", "Watch out for the fallen
    tree up ahead", and sometimes just "Hello". When you are wearing headphones the only thing you hear
    is me shouting "GET THE F#CK OFF THE TRAIL" or "HEY MORON GET OUT OF THE WAY".

    Often if I am coming fast around a blind corner at speed I will ring my bell to give you a heads up.
    Which if you are wearing headphones you probably won't hear. New trail rules allow throwing
    headphone wearing trail users off of cliffs in the event of a collision.

    That said I don't encounter mountain bikers wearing headphones often, usually it's hikers
    or joggers.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  15. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 14 Apr 2003 17:55:16 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >"TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have music while riding. I
    >> really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear that has
    >> external small speakers? I imagine it would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you
    >> wouldn't hear something coming from the bike... whats the standard setup for this?
    >
    >Picture this:
    >
    >You're riding along a ridge above 13,000 ft in Colorado when you see a rider coming the other
    >direction. As they near you, the magnificent silence of your chosen route is interrupted by the
    >ever increasing volume of Slim Whitman's voice, belting out one of his most obnoxious ditties.
    >
    >I'm not sure about you, but I would be very tempted to find a wire on it and strangle the selfish
    >sonofabitch with it.
    >
    >JD

    but instead you'd just wait till you could post your bitch here, huh?

    Dave (Tunes B-4 & after, but NOT during rides!!)

  16. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:14:17 -0500, TacomaBoy wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is there any special head gear that has external small speakers?
    >

    > you could put a basket on the front of the bike with a boom box.
    >
    > penny

    Or you could hire penny to follow you around and serenade you. I would volunteer but they would call
    it an environmental disaster and ban you from the trails.

    -- The Ogre

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:14:17 -0500, "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have music while riding. I really
    >dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head gear that has external small
    >speakers? I imagine it would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear
    >something coming from the bike... whats the standard setup for this?

    The music is already in your head, you just need to fine out how to release it.

    :-]

  18. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:14:17 -0500, "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >As a fair newbie, I find myself wondering what is the best way to have
    music
    > >while riding. I really dont want head phones - obviously dangerous. Is there any special head
    > >gear that has external small speakers? I imagine
    it
    > >would have to ride in a camelpack or a helmet, since you wouldn't hear something coming from the
    > >bike... whats the standard setup for this?
    > >

    > The music is already in your head, you just need to fine out how to release it.
    >
    > Peace, Bill

    http://www.graphicszone.net/monty_python/scripts/Series_1/57.htm

    Hehehe...ririirririrriririri...Hehehe...

    Mike

  19. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest