Music or no music?

FloydLandis

Jun 13, 2006
Just curious to see how many of you listen to music while training. They say that most people last longer without music. I usually listen to something it helps drown out the wind noises and keeps me motivated to push hard.Just want to hear your thoughts.

FloydLandis said:
Just curious to see how many of you listen to music while training. They say that most people last longer without music. I usually listen to something it helps drown out the wind noises and keeps me motivated to push hard.Just want to hear your thoughts.
I would not bike outside with headphones, as I feel that it is too dangerous around cars.

-a

I am not sure what is worse on a trail: a biker with headphones or a roller-blader with headphones, or a roller-blader with headphones and a dog.

I always ride with music. at least always when I ride alone.

I do however ride on roads I know very well, and at volumes which allow for outside sounds to be heard.

I'll only wear headphones in a very controlled environment, such as at the local park or around my own neighborhood. If I'm out dodging cars I'll do without. I just don't trust some of these nutheads that are driving today.

I don't do it but I generally don't have any problems with others who do. But if you choose to listen to music, make sure you're not in high-traffic bike routes. The other day, I was repeatedly trying to signal this one guy that I was trying to pass him but he was listening to music and couldn't hear me. I ended up just sprinting down his left side and he got ****** at me.

This topic has been brought up a few times. I have and do still on occasion ride on the road with music. I find that the right tune is a good motivator, if that's what I need. I do not do it as much now as when I first started. Usually, it's with only one ear bud in an the volume on more like 3 or 5 than 10 or 11. It works much better for me during the winter months on a trainer. It's good for VO2 max intervals. Set the MP3 player to 1 hard tune and 1 more mellow tune. Good for a 3 to 5 min burn and then a 3 to 5 min recovery....

Here are a couple of classic threads.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t129746.html

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t173224.html

When I ride on the road by myself I always have my ipod on in my right ear, with the left still open to hear traffic from behind. I'll never ride with headphones in a group setting or in both ears. Got to have that motivational music for the hard training rides, and audio books for long rides. Plus that damn wind constantly whistling :mad: .

I tried is once, riding with my MP3 player, but I had to turn the volume up to hear the music properly, due to wind noise...later on, at work, I played it at the identical volume and realised it was a bit too loud :eek: ...so in order to avoid permanent damage, decided 'twas a bad idea...

Lonnie Utah said:
This topic has been brought up a few times. I have and do still on occasion ride on the road with music. I find that the right tune is a good motivator, if that's what I need. I do not do it as much now as when I first started. Usually, it's with only one ear bud in an the volume on more like 3 or 5 than 10 or 11. It works much better for me during the winter months on a trainer. It's good for VO2 max intervals. Set the MP3 player to 1 hard tune and 1 more mellow tune. Good for a 3 to 5 min burn and then a 3 to 5 min recovery....

Here are a couple of classic threads.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t129746.html

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t173224.html
LMAO. In the first link Glorified G wrote:

used to ride with my ipod in my chest pocket and just set it to shuffle or create a playlist. Usually early to mid 90s rock/grunge/and all the good stuff that came out back then.
How the hell can you shuffle or create a playlist with 1 track?:D

I used to do it occasionally on shorter rides when I knew I wouldn't lose a station or reception, but with the advent of portable satellite radio and high quality noise-reduction earbuds I rarely leave home without them. With over a 100+ stations of music, sports, and talk to choose from I doubt I could ever be talked out of riding without them. I also enjoy not having to listen to vehicular traffic. After more than 6000 miles of riding with no incidents no one is going to convince me its more dangerous. The few times in the past I got brushed and planted(all without listening to a radio) was either done on purpose by a motorist or my own poor judgement. Exceptions are congested riding areas and group rides in which I never listen to a raido. I also would not recommend them for riders who don't ride 110% defensively and respect the motorist. Being able to hear a motorist that your pissing off by your erratic or "I own the road ridng" may save your life. The very fact that I'm shutting off the external environment forces me to be a safer and more conscientious rider. As far as the rare rider who think's I'm hindering their ability to organize themselves for the last 1000 m of sprint that only exists in their head, I could really care less.