Music when riding

dvnjhn

Aug 1, 2007
What do you listen to if you do? Myself I like something heavy like Trivium or Machine head.

Do you go for chill out music to relax or pumped music to drive you on?

dvnjhn said:
What do you listen to if you do? Myself I like something heavy like Trivium or Machine head.

Do you go for chill out music to relax or pumped music to drive you on?
The only music that I listen to is the hum of the tires, and an occasional click from my bottom bracket. I do "hear" music in my head (which I guess is better than voices), but I like to have my ears available to hear someone getting ready to pass me on trails, or the occasional freindly(?) honk of a motorist that is getting ready to go around me. When I'm working out on rollers, I chill out for just straight spinning, but I pump it up for interval training:p .

I don't listen to music while riding, its actually dangerous, you can't hear the road, but when I get my pro trainer, I'll listen to Moby, Dread Zeppelin, Talking Heads, B52's, just a bunch of alternative and 80's (not led zeppelin, or guns and roses 80's, geek rock 80's, like divo)

Your right, never thought about how risky it is. I dont have it blasting and can still hear cars and stuff.

My advice is... DON'T listen to music when riding. You "see" with your ears, especially on roads, when cars are coming up behind you. I learned this when I first started cycling about 30 years ago at college and I resisted the temptation when the Sony Walkmans (remember them - cassette tapes?) first came in.

In some countries, I believe that you can be prosecuted for doing so, under "not riding with due care and attention". If you are a car driver, you could also have this endorsed - normally this is reserved for riding a bike while being drunk.

Is it better to be without music for the duration of a bike ride and be able to listen to it later, or have to listen to it when you are recovering in hospital?

I totally agree with everything that's been said about safety - when I started cycling I always took an iPod; I still do, but I'm kind of weaning off it. I usually head out really early in the morning but after awhile I've discovered I enjoy the quiet as much as or more than the music. Still...on my long weekend rides sometimes I'll put on some music about half or three fourths the way through.

I put the right earclip on and hook the left into my helmet to keep it out of the way...volume is just loud enough to hear it...I have no problem hearing everything else around me...As for music its usually hard rock, heavy metal, pop...

I've listen to mostly classic rock with my own music mixed in there. I actually like to listen to my own music. It rocks.

But about a month ago, I got my first flat. Actually, I got three flats that week. When I got that first flat, I kept hearing a faint squeaking noise but ignored it because of the music.

Now I don't listen to music. I feel I need to hear the bike so I can hopefully detect any problems. This is my only road bike and I sacrificed a vintage 1985 Kramer Baretta (first guitar designed by Eddie Van Halen) to buy this thing. I can't afford to replace a bunch of parts that I could have avoided destroying.

But that’s just me!

I use a mirror anytime I ride. I love to use a MP3 player when riding routes that are pretty boring in and of themselves. I have myself trained to glance into the mirror routinely so the only thing I can think of for danger would be falling airplanes or surrounding vultures. It's hard to hear cars anyway when the wind is whipping by unless you turn your head sideways, so music works for me.

KittyHawk1 said:
I use a mirror anytime I ride. I love to use a MP3 player when riding routes that are pretty boring in and of themselves. I have myself trained to glance into the mirror routinely so the only thing I can think of for danger would be falling airplanes or surrounding vultures. It's hard to hear cars anyway when the wind is whipping by unless you turn your head sideways, so music works for me.
I don't listen to music and don't recommend it, but I can sympathize with you about riding in Iowa. It is just slightly more interesting than Kansas where the only interesting thing is wondering what's on the other side of all this corn or wheat or oats or whatever!

I'd say if you're bored riding, get another hobby. Being so bored on a bike that you need music is, well, pathetic. Same with needing music to get motivated. Sad, really. I mean, why not forego all the bother and just buy an indoor trainer so you can blast tunes and be bored in your home?

alienator said:
I'd say if you're bored riding, get another hobby. Being so bored on a bike that you need music is, well, pathetic. Same with needing music to get motivated. Sad, really. I mean, why not forego all the bother and just buy an indoor trainer so you can blast tunes and be bored in your home?
Uhmmm......how the flock is listening to music an indication of being bored ??

I like a sound-track when I'm driving, riding, working, studying, screwing, etc.

DrunkenBiker said:
Uhmmm......how the flock is listening to music an indication of being bored ??

I like a sound-track when I'm driving, riding, working, studying, screwing, etc.

Easy: it's an indication that you're not engaged enough by the activity at hand. Life's a video game, I guess

I'm surprised you're allowed to listen to music at work. Doesn't Burger King have a rule against that?

alienator said:
Easy: it's an indication that you're not engaged enough by the activity at hand. Life's a video game, I guess

I'm surprised you're allowed to listen to music at work. Doesn't Burger King have a rule against that?
Man. You really need to get laided don't you ??

And it's KFC. Get it right.

DrunkenBiker said:
Man. You really need to get laided don't you ??

And it's KFC. Get it right.

So what would "laided" mean, eh? Oh, do you mean "laid?" Dude, you rock! I hope errors like that don't keep you from being promoted out of that special needs class you're in.

alienator said:
So what would "laided" mean, eh? Oh, do you mean "laid?" Dude, you rock! I hope errors like that don't keep you from being promoted out of that special needs class you're in.
ha ha

And your the one who was crying the other day when CampyBob pointed out a spelling error. Time to crack open a PBR you ****ing hypocrite.

alienator said:
Dang! Yer good. Like, you caught a typing error and all! Dagnabit, I guess I'm owned again.

Well, pat yourself on the back, CampyBob, toss back a PBR or two, and go do a celebratory donut or two in your driveway with your internal combustion penis extension. Now I know why all the guys down at your local beer and wine drive-thru think you're such a stud.

DrunkenBiker said:
ha ha

And your the one who was crying the other day when CampyBob pointed out a spelling error. Time to crack open a PBR you ****ing hypocrite.

Wow, Cupcake. Laided isn't a spelling error: it's a sign of terminal ignorance. Sound it out like they've been teaching you in class this year:

Layd.....
Lay' ded.....

alienator said:
Wow, Cupcake. Laided isn't a spelling error: it's a sign of terminal ignorance. Sound it out like they've been teaching you in class this year:

Layd.....
Lay' ded.....
alienator said:
Dang! Yer good. Like, you caught a typing error and all! Dagnabit, I guess I'm owned again.
Typing error. Spelling error.

Either way you're a boor