Music when riding

DrunkenBiker said:
Typing error. Spelling error.

Either way you're a boor

Coming from you, that means very little. Now, run along, little one.

alienator said:
Coming from you, that means very little. Now, run along, little one.
Even better.

Have you ever had sex where the woman didn't demand that music be played ??

Last word from me kiddo.

DrunkenBiker said:
Even better.

Have you ever had sex where the woman didn't demand that music be played ??

Last word from me kiddo.

Ohhhhhh, golly.

dvnjhn said:
What do you listen to if you do? Myself I like something heavy like Trivium or Machine head.

Do you go for chill out music to relax or pumped music to drive you on?
Don't listen to music when riding. Love the sounds around me - wind in my ears, my tires on the road, the click of shifting. I do tend to get a song in my head at times that might pump me up and then thinking of that tune or the rhythm or lyrics will motivate me. I must admit I do love the sound of my Vredestein tires - they tend to sing in a way my Conti's never did.

I'm aware of the hearing dangers, please save the (well intended) lectures, thanks.

Anyway, Back in the late 80s & early 90s I used to take a Walkman along on my LSD rides in the country backroads that were littered with dairies, peach orchards and not much else.
Hammer:Too Legit To Quit was the joint back then, and the perfect riding rekkid...To me anyway.
I don't bring music along anymore, the earbuds get all sweaty.

I understand the many who believe that listening to music while riding is dangerous, but I personally think that you are overrating the danger. There is a good article at http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/hearing.htm on the subject.

I personally used to commute with one ear piece in and the other out because that was the law in my area. I now use a set of bone conduction headphones that allow me to listen to my music without affecting my hearing.

dvnjhn said:
What do you listen to if you do? Myself I like something heavy like Trivium or Machine head.

im with you, i listen to metal (thedevilwearsprada, dropdeadgeorgous, etc)
... you know, the stuff that makes people think you're the devil when you roll up to starbucks with it playing

Tool, Rush, and lately some REM, Blondie, Police, Phil Collins and Genisis.

Oh yeah, and some Cracker. I love that song they do called "Lonesome Johnny Blues". "Let's go for a ride" is good too, even if he is talking about a motorcycle.
It goes kinda like this: I ride my bike, I drive my car. Take me back to you. I ride my bike, I drive my car. Take me back ta you. Take me ta you.

They're best known for their hit "Low".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywZEjSiCBM :cool:

I listen to music on most of my training rides. I don't have the music too loud that I can't hear traffic. I live in the country, I could go out on a 160km ride and only see 5 or 6 houses and 5 or 6 cars the whole ride.
I listen to mainly metal, everything from Judas priest and Maiden, Manowar, Bathory, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, old Slayer and 80s speed metal.
Favourite band is Virgin Steele.
Haven't tried listening to music whilst competing in a time trial yet, I've got one coming up in a few weeks, good prize money, fairly big race. Think I'll crank up the Sadistik exekution for that one. Might give me a few seconds ;)

Bikelux said:
I listen to music on most of my training rides. I don't have the music too loud that I can't hear traffic. I live in the country, I could go out on a 160km ride and only see 5 or 6 houses and 5 or 6 cars the whole ride.
I listen to mainly metal, everything from Judas priest and Maiden, Manowar, Bathory, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, old Slayer and 80s speed metal.
Favourite band is Virgin Steele.
Haven't tried listening to music whilst competing in a time trial yet, I've got one coming up in a few weeks, good prize money, fairly big race. Think I'll crank up the Sadistik exekution for that one. Might give me a few seconds ;)
ought to be good for at least a few seconds. Good Luck dude!!

dvnjhn said:

It depends on which power zone I am concentrating on for that workout. For slow/endurance and or recovery I'll listen to news podcasts and any music that I can get into and that maybe anything from Carly Simon to Verdi. For my tempo and sweet spot, lately I have been getting into medieval battle music and highland bagpipes, which really helps me get into a primitive/zen experience which elevates my experience to the sublime. For me, anything higher than sweet spot takes too much concentration to really hear anything. Although during a particularly memorable Vo2 climb in AR, Public Enemy's SON OF A BUSH was memorable.
Underworld
Agen Orange
Amusement Parks
Aretha
Autechre
Beasitie Boys
Black Crowes
Black Flag
Sabbath!!!
U2
Tricky
A Sunny Day In Glasgow
Silversun Pickups
Sparklehorse
Steely Dan
Clash
Deerhunter
Marley
The Congos!!!
Deerhoof
Galaxie 500
Keoki
King Crimson
Keoki
Massive Attack
Neil Young Paul McCartney
The Floyd!!!
Radiohead
Stones
Rush
DJ Krush
Clinic
Chicago Tansit Authority
Song Of The French Foreign Legion
Scottish Bagpipes
Gordon Lightfoot
Music Of The Crusades
The Edinburgh Military Tatto(Massea Scottish Highland Bagpipes)
Teenage Fanclub and some other stuff.

am I the only one that makes up songs while I ride? sometimes about how my equipment isn't working right, or sometimes when theres problems with the lady...

kdelong said:
The only music that I listen to is the hum of the tires, and an occasional click from my bottom bracket. I do "hear" music in my head (which I guess is better than voices), but I like to have my ears available to hear someone getting ready to pass me on trails, or the occasional freindly(?) honk of a motorist that is getting ready to go around me. When I'm working out on rollers, I chill out for just straight spinning, but I pump it up for interval training:p .
That's odd. I listen to the sound of the air rushing past my head, which is usally louder than the tires humming. I also will often softly hum a tune.

reub2000 said:
That's odd. I listen to the sound of the air rushing past my head, which is usally louder than the tires humming. I also will often softly hum a tune.
I have been known to sing once in awhile if there is no one around. It is not something anyone would want to hear:eek: . Most of the time though, I don't have enough breath left to hum or sing!

dvnjhn said:

I do my riding on bike trails not urban roads so not a lot of traffic issues. Plus my experience matches pretty well with the "Bicyclist's sense of hearing: How important" site mentioned earlier. It's not like I have music cranked so hard I can't hear anything, in fact often when I get up to speed, the wind tends to drown it out. It just provides me with something to focus on.

Personally I like to listen to music because it sets a tone and helps me keep a rhythm going even when I'm getting tired. I tell myself , "keep cranking to the music it is a great tune! Don't let it down. Do it Justice!". With the right rhythm I can crank well past my otherwise weak consitution and willingness to give up :D.

As to the actual tunes I've been in search of the perfect mix. Currently I trying some hard house, dance, electronica. I've tried syth pop like The Grid, Aqua and N-Trance etc. but believe it or not.... too cerebral for me:confused:. I'm planning on trying some party folk/traditional celtic music next (like Ashley McIssac and Ranking Family type stuff). Any thing to help me turn off my life and get into myself, my bike and the ride.

Fatherzen said:
I now use a set of bone conduction headphones that allow me to listen to my music without affecting my hearing.
My crazy uncle told me about these several years back and I figured he was full of ****.
How much do they run, generally? I'm less worried about not being able to hear traffic than preserving my hearing as much as possible (earbuds are bad for you in that sense).

Chavez said:
My crazy uncle told me about these several years back and I figured he was full of ****.
How much do they run, generally? I'm less worried about not being able to hear traffic than preserving my hearing as much as possible (earbuds are bad for you in that sense).

It's too bad that the argument made here is so scientifically untenable as to be ridiculous.

alienator said:
It's too bad that the argument made here is so scientifically untenable as to be ridiculous.
Not everyone is a scientist so scientific tenablilty is not always one of the avenues that they explore when they form their opinions. I think that ear buds are bad for your hearing IF the volume is too high and if they are positioned in your ear the way they are intended to be.

alienator said:
Not to be too picky but research into hearing via bone conduction has been around since at least 1938 (A contribution to the physiology of bone conduction[size=-1]
E Bárány - 1938) and there is continued development of it today as an alternative type of hearing aid for those with middle ear problems (check out this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12138786&dopt=Citation)

that's not to say the "consumer" version is all that great but it IS scientifically tenable.

[/size]