Music when you ride?

Mansmind

Aug 3, 2004
Historically I haven't. As much as I love hearing the birds and bees, there are also times a little music would be enjoyable. Things have changed some since I first began riding however. Safety and being able to hear the cars coming down the road kept me from it.

Technology has changed just a bit since I began riding however. A blue tooth ear bud in one ear allows you to hear the traffic and other sounds easily. Also there are mini wireless speakers that can be mounted on your bars, which allow the same thing assuming you are blasting the music. My ears don't agree with ear buds, but the small mini speakers intrigue me.

I'm currently looking at a wireless speaker made by sound matters called a dash 7. It's about 7" long, 2" wide, and 3/4" thick and can easily be mounted. Any of you use something similar? I'd love to hear the various methods of "getting music".

iPod Shuffle is da bomb. I use mine for indoor training. I wear open air headphones or mid-line in-earbuds. Both deliver acceptable sound quality to sweat to. Both are probably contributing more to progressive deafness than my firearms (mostly shot with ear pro).

As far as road going tunes, I do not listen to music while outdoors. However, I have a friend that's spent a lifetime cycling with Sony Walkmans and iPods of various styles. He, and another friend that is almost stone deaf (removes his expensive in-ear hearing aids while riding so he doesn't ruin them with sweat) have no more or less difficulty on the road than a cyclist with two good ears/no tunes.

One bud, speakers...I think volume level matters if you are going to try and listen to traffic and where you cycle and the type of cycling done also play a part in the safety factor.

BTW, I think some of the new Bluetooth wireless speakers sound pretty good for their size and power.

I'll just use my phone since I like to carry it anyway. As far as the speaker...

http://store.soundmatters.com/dash-intro.html

It's reportedly got a great sound, but we'll see. I don't need (or want) it loud... it should be fine.

My system in the house on the other hand...lol