Music while Cycling?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mseanschmidt, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mseanschmidt

mseanschmidt New Member

After watching the What It Takes movie and seeing the pros using the Oakly Thumps while training on the bike & run, I'm wondering who listens to music while cycling? I'm thinking about getting the Thumps for solo rides and using just the right earphone leaving my left ear for road noise. Not sure how that can be dangerous if you have full hearing out of the left ear?

Tags:

2. bighead_9901

bighead_9901 New Member

I usually run or cycle with my mp3 player but I only wear the right earbud and it works great. I can still hear traffic approaching from the rear and I just enjoy my solo rides/runs with some tunes. Also one thing I would reccommend is using an earbud headphone. The block out the wind noise so you don't have to crank your music as loud.

3. Piotr

Piotr New Member

I don't understand why people need music to ride a bike. I like to keep my mind occupied with riding the bike, because I like the experience of riding a bike. I listen to the wind, to my freewheel, and especially to the traffic. For a racer the best thing to think about is racing. You get the most out of training by training your body AND mind. That way you're on a bike not on stage or a dance floor. Yes, even indoors (except for the bit about wind and traffic ;)).

4. ehirsch83

ehirsch83 New Member

I use music when I ride, it keeps me on pace. I listen to songs with a good strong faster beat to do intervals, and slower songs during recovery. I find the constant beat/rhythm helps me with my cadence. I also have certain songs I like for climbs.
    I find when I don't use music(when on a solo ride, group rides I don't take it) I am a slightly slower cyclist- just because i don't have that beat to match.

5. sogood

sogood New Member

I have just started to bring along an iPod shuffle on my rides, and just use one bud in my left ear. I find it pleasant to ride with some background music and no further reasons required. And when only one bud is used with low/moderate sound volume, I find that it does not interfere with my ability to hear the traffic noises around me. Yet again, these are mostly on training rides where traffic risk is quite low or non-existent.

6. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

I don't ride with music. I never miss having a sound track. I can see how aggresive music might help with intervals, though.

7. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I trained 2 years without music and often my rides were somewhat boring. Now with an iPod Nano with 350 of my favorite songs I enjoy my 55 milers and look forward to doing even more than my mileage limits. I plug both ears in and just don't put the volume too high that I can't hear a car hoon or stuff.

8. fabiosav

fabiosav New Member

Go with the one ear-bud trick, and here is another, to save you the need for the thumpers: wrap the ear bud around your helmet strap. that way if the bud comes out (or you want to pull it out), it won't fall far. Take 'em both out in heavy traffic, or in a pack, though...

9. BtonRider

BtonRider New Member

I used to ride with music (and still do on the trainer) but I realized it's just way to dangerous on the open road. I only rode with one ear bud in at a time but I still had several occasions where I couldn’t hear the cars coming up from behind me. In heavy traffic one ear bud or two doesn’t make a difference, you know there’s going to be another car in 10 seconds. It’s out on the country road where you get into a rhythm and you’re in your own world that it gets really dangerous. I think it’s critical to have as much hearing available as possible for traffic. Plus, these new hybrid cars are even quieter, so the only thing you hear with them is the wind they’re generating. I also notice that dogs make very little noise if they’re coming after you. You need to be able to hear their tags rattle or their nails on the asphalt. That extra warning can be the difference between a successful sprint, and a dog bite to your ankle.

If you really need a distraction to keep cycling interesting, ride with a partner or try the Virtual Partner on the Garmin Edge. Don’t limit your only sense that let’s you know what’s coming up from behind.

10. K50

K50 New Member

Amen to that!

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Just on the trainer. Too many dags ,hairpins etc. Besides who can hear a damn thing with all that gasping going on.

12. skootaroo

skootaroo New Member

Music need not be a form of escapism or distraction from your ride. It can also help if you are otherwise inclined to um? "respond to motorists". I guess that would be escapism.
    I find headphones give better quality sound so I can play it softer and still hear my surrounding area.

13. G-Force101XTR

G-Force101XTR New Member

Do any of you find that riding with only one ear bud in throws off your balance? I find that happens to me every now and then on the trails, not so much on the road, but on occasion it does. I usually ride with both ear buds in at a medium volume level to hear cars and the heart rate monitor when it beeps. I too find that music helps with my cadence, especially indoors. I really like the music on longer rides up north where there are no cars to worry about, a little background music just seems to put me in my concentration zone. However, i do find myself tuning the music out when im on a hard interval or climb.

14. quickbuck

quickbuck New Member

I used to ride with music, found it great. Then my MP3 player broke (memory error!) and I have not put anything in my ears yet.
    Since read that it can be a danger.

Makes sense, you should see our drivers/ narrow roads!!!

Love the quiet of the country, and the little noise my bike makes blasting through it now days... (well, it was 4 weeks ago my MP3 player broke).

15. OoAmericanGirl

OoAmericanGirl New Member

I mounted my Ipod nano on my handle bars with some ties and part of a jogging case. I only listen to it when I'm on a bike trail and have a set of head phones with one ear bud.