music while you ride

Future-pro said:
Riding on the road listening to music is quite possibly the stupidist idea ever you need full use of your ears to remain safe and in my opinion its a lot more pleasant when riding through the countryside if your not listening to music just nature as it were
I agree... i have an mp3 player n i always use it at the gym while running etc, but i never take it out on the road. Today i almost got hit by a bus simply coz it was slightly over in the cycling lane and it scared the **** outta me. If i couldn't hear cars coming i simply wouldn't feel safe.

i always listen to my ipod on training rides but dont have the prob u guys have of riding on the roads alot (live in western australia= top bike paths). Usually the volume is up enough to get into the music but i can still hear traffic noise. Stereophonics and the Chili Peppers on long rides for me.

I've started riding with mine on. Only when mtbing or on the way middle of f'ing nowhere roads (did a 4 hr ride today. Saw no cars for the middle 3 hours) many of which are dirt. I've never listened to much rap, but "stay positive" by the streets is the sweetest song to listen to on long solo rides. Also rocking the Bosstones, Garbage, some random poppish punk like the offspring, greenday and sum 41, and some other good punk stuff.

Oh, yeah, even when theres no cars in miles, I ride with 1 earphone (cuz the others broke) and turned down pretty low so I can hear the bike, road noise, animals, grass rustling, etc.

I do it all the time while training. Zeppelin, The Stones, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, any ting that kicks ass (while riding). Some times I like to hear Pink Floyd or Miles Davis or something of the sort wile riding.

Got to get me some of that San Andreas Beat hip-hop. It's bad for my riding position coz occasionally i catch myself sitting up and just boucin a bit.:D If its got a sik beat, then theres probably a good chance im crackin it:cool:

Great movie soundtracks:
Top Gun
Rocky (any)
Chariots of Fire
Highlander
Braveheart (in the mornings, on a sunrise ride)

If I had to make a Mix for riding, this is it: (in no particular order, really)

1. Theme from Top Gun
2. Smooth Criminal (cover)- Alien Ant Farm
3. Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
4. Final Countdown - Europe
5. I am Immortal - Queen
6. Sandstorm - Darude
7. Life is a Highway - Tom Cochrane
8. The Kill - 30 Seconds To Mars
9. Help! - The Beatles
10. Boys of Summer (cover) - The Ataris
11. Leaving Town - Dexter Freebish
12. One Last Breath - Creed
13. Fighting Like Hell - Emberghost
14. my personal favorite: "Fell in Love With the Game" by Blindside (www.myspace.com/blindside)
and last but not least, #15. Halelujah by Rufus Wainwright

Personally I sometimes ride with headphones on. I don't know how slow some of you ride, but I usually don't hear a car until it's right behind me. The sound of the air rushing past my ears tends to be louder than a car (unless the vehicle is loud like a truck or tuner). There are days I just don't want music as well. If bicyclist aren't supposed to ride with headphones, why aren't motorcycles quiet enough so the rider can hear? Or why are car systems loud enough to drown outside sounds (or even in luxury cars that effectively block outside noise?) This article is pretty interesting:http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/hearing.htm
I'm not trying to say that people who don't wear headphones are weak or overly cautious, and that people who do are flaming idiots, but I do wonder about why such laws are passed when other operators of vehicles aren't required to do so. This must mean I have way too much time on my hands thinking about such things:p.

not a good idea to listen to music unless you're on a bike trail...

If I did listen to music while riding, I would probably listen to hard rock

serendipity said:
I have an MP3 player that I ride with...a lot of country songs, but also Pennywise, Offspring, AFI, Blink 182, ATB, Garbage, Green Day (i love their new CD). However, I normally play it so quiet anyway because I like to hear the cars around me when I ride on the road. Does anyone else get concerned about hearing the cars pass them on the road?
I just have one speaker in on the side of my head not facing the road, I can listen and hear traffic. I like listening to heavy rock and rap while I ride, keeps a tempo going. Another thing, does anyone else notice that their cadence changes according to the beat, or is that just me, it happens to me all the time, I'll have my cadence drop all the way to 80 or 90, it really annoys me.

I don't ride with music. I want to but I've heard about too many people getting clipped because they weren't focused on what was around them. And for that reason I don't let myself and good thing too. If I'd had music on I would have been road kill a couple of times now.

When on the old trainer i love listening to Gabba. 200bpm techno is great for staying at 100 rpm all day long. :)

Stream of Unconsciousness Attack!! there's this band that I can't stop listening to: the raveups doing "Smokestack." i saw them live and it was fantastic, just like teh Yard Birds but better! i'm totally digging in google - theraveups - all one word

One question for mp3 litseners on the bike:

Which headset doesn't go crawling to your brain??(Then I mean the standard iPod headset goes inside me ear while wearing a cap, well not thad)

If I'm riding solo I'll ride w/ my mp3 player... I have it down low enough that I can still hear the cars approaching and other cyclists who are passing...I tend to forget my music is even on cause I concentrate so hard on the road, but on those nice flat straight aways... or quiet roads, it's nice to have the radio accompany you, or at stop lights you can jam away and make the drivers laugh at you cause you're dancing with your bike!

I read an article in Bicycling Magazine that says that your hearing can tell when something is there, but not when something isn't there.

I have found that when riding without earphones I only know when a car is passing about 25% of the time, I ride with both earphones in because I also read that it confuses your brain and makes it harder to focus when you only have one earphone in because you are hearing two diffrent sounds at once ( The road and your music) I keep the volume low enough so that I can hear the music and still hear when a car is alongside me. I don't have any trouble getting carried away or distracted listening to my music.

Like some of you said earlier, I often wonder why it is legal for car drivers to sit in an enclosed box and play music so loud they can't here anything at all.

Finally, it's not smart to wear earphones on a group ride because it's rude, and obviously not in a race. ( unless it's a race radio that your manager talks to you through)

I always listen to music while i ride.
im not concerned about the safety question because there usually isnt a whole lotta cars because i live in a town where the population is around 1000.
yes thats one thousand. I like listening to three days grace, seether and our lady peace on my ipod nano. both earphones and pretty loud. I try to keep an eye peeled for traffic.

(FIRST POST! WOOO):)

My cycling playlist includes Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Suburban Legends and Say Anything. Just a bunch of upbeat Ska songs about having fun (just like every other ska song).

Cyclist14 said:
I read an article in Bicycling Magazine that says that your hearing can tell when something is there, but not when something isn't there.

I have found that when riding without earphones I only know when a car is passing about 25% of the time, I ride with both earphones in because I also read that it confuses your brain and makes it harder to focus when you only have one earphone in because you are hearing two diffrent sounds at once ( The road and your music) I keep the volume low enough so that I can hear the music and still hear when a car is alongside me. I don't have any trouble getting carried away or distracted listening to my music.

Like some of you said earlier, I often wonder why it is legal for car drivers to sit in an enclosed box and play music so loud they can't here anything at all.

Finally, it's not smart to wear earphones on a group ride because it's rude, and obviously not in a race. ( unless it's a race radio that your manager talks to you through)
And only then if you are a two. I love to listen to music. I listen to w/e is in my library (have a shuffle) but that is mostly rock/rap/alternitive