music while you ride

I sometimes ride with music. I bring my CD player. Very rarely do though. I listen to hard rock, Papa Roach, Nickelback, etc.

I am tired of hearing about this saftey garbage. I ride to music, with my behind the head earphones, on my Dell DJ. I can't just listen to wind and the sound of cars, bores the hell out of me.

Once I litsend to the Nutcracker complete(classical) and I had my iPod volume turned up all the way on so I whould deaf the enviroment sound. And after the ride I barely could hear a thing, never ride with music ever again!

I agree with some of the posts above...that it is pretty stupid to ride with headphones on the road...cause atleast where I live, the motorists are real a$$holes...if you don't give it full attention, you have a high risk of getting hit.

On the other hand, when I ride my trainer, I listen mainly to Eurodance (and sometimes trance/techno) to keep me going!

Derek

there are some people i've passed who have their music up really loud and have both earpieces in... it drives me nuts when i know they can't hear me cause you don't know what they're gonna do when you pass.... if i ride solo i'll take my music along but only wear the right earpiece... it's on loud enough so i can hear with the wind, but soft enough i can hear the cars and the people... i find myself paying more attention to the road anyway and that the music just becomes a relaxing background noise or something to listen to at the lights. sometimes it's just better company than myself...

Personally I just enjoy the abience while I ride. The sounds of the bike, the wind, etc. Besides I ride on pretty busy roads so its safer anyway.

I listen to my iPod, but keep the volume low enough so that I can hear ambient noise.

I usually listen to anything but country(except for good country, ie Johnny Cash, Neil Young, etc...), but especially music with a good beat that I can match a good cadence to.

cyclingcarve31 said:
Not a good idea, Only if you are on an abannoded road or something. You have to hear the cars and not worth getting hit
I agree. I would love to listen to music whilst riding but i find it just to risky.

My MP3 player is very unreliable, so I don't listen to it much. When I do though, I really enjoy riding with some music. If I had the time, I'd probably fill it with Reel Big Fish and SKA-P. Maybe some Van Halen too. I wouldn't want to listen to anything too slow. :p

ralph13 said:
My MP3 player is very unreliable, so I don't listen to it much. When I do though, I really enjoy riding with some music. If I had the time, I'd probably fill it with Reel Big Fish and SKA-P. Maybe some Van Halen too. I wouldn't want to listen to anything too slow. :p
when i had my mountain bike what i would do is get my back pack & put some portable speakers in it. so hearing everything at the same time. i find riding with headphones distracting so the only way i would do it would be if it was external

roadbikeman said:
Not a wise thing to do, you need your ears when cycling on the road to hear car engines, hazards and people.

But it is good for removing those idiots from the gene pool. :)
You can still listen to music and be aware of whats around you. You either get used to hearing for both things or you turn it down a bit. I ride only on the roads here.. and i can't ride without music. I use all my senses to tell me when there are cars about etc. And because i now live in a small country city, there's cars everywhere all the time and they're used to cyclists.. so it's just being aware of things and not zoning out with your eyes.
I mean road rules are the same on a bike, you gotta give way to those in front and if you're turning or whatever you indicate and look around before you pull out. It's not different to being in the car and listening to music.

And music wise, i gotta listen to things that make my heart race, heavy rock, metal, good dance music.. something with a lot of bass and noise. I love all music but for riding it's gotta be heavier. I notice i cycle to the music so if it's softer i dont ride as hard..

I absolutely hate listening to music while I am riding. I prefer to hear what is going on around me and listening to the sounds of my bike.

I usually have some kind of background noise when I am on a trainer. I either leave the TV on or put on some music, but I rarely really hear it because I am usually concentrating on something else.

J5311 said:
when i had my mountain bike what i would do is get my back pack & put some portable speakers in it. so hearing everything at the same time. i find riding with headphones distracting so the only way i would do it would be if it was external
That's a good idea! You can still enjoy music while biking and you'd be safe.

The best way to hide headphones is to keep them in your bag while you are riding. your ears can save your life, but not if they're full of music...