music while you ride

Originally Posted by alienator .

Your tests don't seem like they were really objective. After all, a human being isn't a very good sensor, and as a sensor a human is vulnerable to all manor of bias from other factors: fatigue, hydration, mental state, state of rest,.......... Also, it's not solely a matter of hearing the traffic coming, it's a matter also of the decrease in attention caused by the mental engagement of the listener with whatever is playing in their ears. There is a very good reason why riding with headphones or ear pieces is illegal in a number of states, and that reason is that the results of objective tests don't back up the results from your tests and the beliefs of some riders.
It's time to get off the bike if someone doesn't have the attention span to ride a bike without listening to music.
I never would suggest my tests were scientific. I merely checked the time that I could hear a car versus how long it took to get to me and every time was over a minute (with the current levels of fatigue, hydration, mental state, etc) -- at least a mile behind me. If I felt especially fatigued or unable to concentrate, I wouldn't have listened to music or audio books. I also know that I don't pay attention to music and other things that I listen to. My primary focus was riding my bicycle and I payed attention to the road and listening for cars. I can't listen to podcasts unless I give them my full attention or I get nothing out of them. I can accidentally listen to a song on single repeat for over an hour before I notice if I am doing something else. So with the time between when I'd hear a car and my ability to tune out things on the radio taken together, I felt comfortable wearing a single earbud. I would never wear dual earbuds.

I would never listen to music or other things while riding in traffic like in a city or heavily driven road. But in Kansas where I could see the cars coming for miles and could hear them for over a minute, and they were only coming by about 5-10 cars/trucks per hour, often with a decent sized shoulder, I felt comfortable. On the GAP and C&O which is a bike path and I didn't see any other people most days, I felt comfortable listening to audio books. When I got near Washington DC and there were loads of other runners and cyclists to contend with, I didn't listen to music.

I would say that listening to music while biking under certain conditions is no worse than people listening to their radio while driving a car as a simple distraction from monotony.

I have a small Sony phone that I use for gps tracking with Micoach. It also has a playlist setting for music. I carry it on the strap of my camelback on my shoulder and so I can pretty much hear the music playing from the speaker without needing to be too loud. I like it especially when I'm alone on long rides with nothing but landscape.

I have pretty much stopped riding in the suburban area where I live as it has gotten extremely dangerous with the idiot drivers around here. Now I transport my bike out to the fairly rural areas and trails. I would not even think of listening to music out there as I go there to get away from all of the noise for awhile. However, in inclement weather I will pedal on the trainer and I do listen to music because my basement is uber boring. The music I favor is a little off-beat for a white Anglo-Saxon person. I have developed a passion for J-pop and Mando Pop music with my favorite being Alan Dawa Dolma. I understand enough Japanese and Mandarin to understand what the songs are about but not quite enough to pick up on every nuance in the them. But I tend to ignore the words and just consider the voice to be just another instrument. To each their own and this works for me.

I'm a fan of some of these Christian metal bands like Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Krutch, Red, and maybe a bit of rock/rap like KJ-5*2. However I listen mostly at work and very little on the bike. It makes cars hard to hear.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Count me in. I am always listening to music when going for a ride. I listen to relaxed and acoustic music when I am biking outdoors on a nature trail or just outside our house. When exercising through cycling I listen to songs that have a fast tempo to intensify the pace and set the mood for exercising. I listen on my Ipod and pre-download songs and categorize them depending on what type of cycling I will do. [/SIZE]

I always wear my headphones during my ride, and I usually listen to the radio or some powerful music that gives me energy for cycling. :p

On an easy day, I tend to listen to some Indie music, which calms me down. Usually, I go onto Pandora and create stations to my liking. On workout days, I listen to Hip Hop and Rap. This pumps me up and makes me go faster or keep pushing when I am tired. Music definitely helps me get through my rides. Also, I am investing in some quality headphones to listen to while riding.

Music is one of the most integral part of one's living. I do believe that music can be really useful while biking. It can make you feel very cheerful and happy. I think it is quite important.

I usually play rap and old hip hop music. I don't usually play music on the roads with cars, but I'd only play music on bike paths and areas where cars don't travel in or are abandoned.

I believe using is really great while you are on your bike. It can help you enjoy your ride very much. I definitely like riding with music.

I believe using is really great while you are on your bike. It can help you enjoy your ride very much. I definitely like riding with music.

I must have music at all times the only problem is my earphones coming on loose and getting stuck in my wheel that tyrannize me 24 hours a day. If that ever was to happen I think I would be incredibly upset. It happened to me one time when I was younger and I still haven't gotten over it so I usually don't wear my earphones when I ride.

I used to listen to music on my phone, but I got a new phone and can no longer upload music because my computer is too old for my new phone. The type of music depends on what kind of ride I am going on. If I am going for speed, more uptempo music, and the opposite for enjoyable, leisurely rides. One of my favorite bands, Papadosio, is always a good choice.

I like listening to music while I ride my bike as well except I only wear one headphone so that I can hear cars and sirens out of my other ear incase something is going on.

I don't really like listening to music while riding. I just can't hear cars and I don't feel good. Even at low volume or one ear it still doesn't feel right. Music = compromising your safety unless you're not on the road.

I've done that before and it's nice, but have to be careful with extra mirrors implemented on it to see who's behind you and all.

I find listening to music really dangerous, from experience. I was riding one evening with my favorite trance music on and I failed to hear a trailer coming up from behind. The trailer was being overtaken by another vehicle and needed all the space that it could on the road. Luckily my instinct saved me as I swerved away a second before the trailer almost knocked me down. Whew!

I'm with those who don't listen to music while riding. I do it occasionally but pretty rarely. I need my full attention on the road and everything that's going on around me. And if I'm cycling in the countryside or in the park it's always nice to listen to the sounds of nature in my opinion.

I ride through more secluded spots where it's rare to find a person with classical music. It's just an overall nice experience to have really. Seeing nature and hearing classical music is a joy in itself.