music while you ride

I listen to the sounds of the wind, the birds and the sparse traffic around me. I consider it very dangerous to put on headphones or blast music on a bike, especially when a car can come from behind at any time, without me expecting anything.

I listen to the sounds of the wind, the birds and the sparse traffic around me. I consider it very dangerous to put on headphones or blast music on a bike, especially when a car can come from behind at any time, without me expecting anything.

Future-pro said:
Riding on the road listening to music is quite possibly the stupidist idea ever you need full use of your ears to remain safe and in my opinion its a lot more pleasant when riding through the countryside if your not listening to music just nature as it were
I myself just get big headphones and leave them wrapped around my neck so I can hear my music while hearing traffic as well, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

I listen to music while I ride around my neighborhood, no headphones of course. But once I get onto a busy road, I'm focusing all my attention on making sure I'm safe! I can't stand to see a cyclist riding down a main road with both headphones in. I'm always just waiting for them to get hit.

I do not like listening to music while cycling. Only on roads which are not busy and on low volume. I listen to my phone's mp3 player if I want. But most times I like listening to latest news broadcast and then switch the radio function off after the news.

I don't listen to music when I bike outside, because I'm too worried about my iPhone falling while I read and getting broken. My ears are small too, so ear buds are always falling out for me; not much point in them. Just the changes in scenery outside is enough to keep me from getting bored.
When I have to bike indoors on my stationary bike though, I often do listen to music. Usually I put a playlist together beforehand and then play it through my speakers because of the ear bud issue. If I don't have something else going on in the background while on a stationary bike I find myself losing motivation very quickly. Sometimes even music isn't enough to keep me going, but it does help.

When I listen to music I like to listen to upbeat songs, particularly Top 40 hits because those usually are energetic and dance-y. Rock music is the best because it sets a good vibe.

listen to music while riding is also a good idea but it is very dangerous, it makes us not concentrate while Control

listen to music while riding is also a good idea but it is very dangerous, it makes us not concentrate while Control

I love listening to music while riding my bike, usually I listen to pop music currently, or something fast that gives me motivation to keep riding fastly and making the most of it. :D

I always listen to music when I ride. I ride my bike to work everyday and from work. It is a 7 mile bike ride each way and I listen to Pandora. The genre really depends on what I am feeling that day, but mostly it is country music. I listen to rock some days tough it just depends on what I am feeling and how much motivation I need to get there.

Sometimes when I need to catch up on certain lessons or topics of interests, I bring the audiofile with me and listen to it. Most of the time I listen to music to keep me going. I love the upbeat songs to perk up my day.

The music I listen to while biking is the hip hop genre - lil wayne, eminem, logic, and Lil Dicky. Hip hop motivates me to further extend my routine, and workout more.

I think all the posts advocating for people to absolutely not listen to any music here are interesting. For me, music is an integral part of my life, and to remove the pleasure I get from listening to music while riding is tantamount to taking away the riding itself! I find that even with two headphones, it's very easy to remain safe so long as you yourself are on alert at all times. Be smart about you and your limitations and you shouldn't be any less safe listening to music than without it.

As for what I liste to specifically, I really couldn't list every genre I enjoy, because I enjoy a lot. I will say that I tend to lean towards more dynamic, instrumental music while riding as opposed to something softer and ethereal, or something lyrically dense that requires absolute focus. Like, I really old school east coast hip hop, and instrumental remixes from that era, as well as electronica and vaoprwave.

Listening to hip hop and rap makes biking quite enjoyable. Any type makes the ride easier.

I don't really listen to music like songs when I ride. I like listening to the chirps of the birds, the trees and all that nature stuff. Do they count as music as well? I think so! They are very calming and soothing in their own way! I understand what others are saying about the dangers of using an earphone while riding though. If you must listen to an iPod with an earphone, it's better to do it in a place where cars are not always traveling in.

I listen to music whilst I am riding in the road although I don't listen in the city since it is illegal in my country and it is at the same time distracting.

I really like to listen to some relaxing music while I'm cycling it gets me in the mood. But if I'm commuting then something more upbeat, indie pop or rock and I will ride faster :)