music while you ride

I'm not entirely comfortable listening to music while I ride, mostly because I don't trust the drivers around here and I've had a couple of close calls already with people not looking before pulling out of parking lots or through an advance turn. I just prefer to feel as if I've got all my senses working for me when I'm commuting alongside traffic. Also, there are other cyclists and foot pedestrians on the road, they're not always as noticeable as a car, and I feel like it's common courtesy to do your best to stay aware.

When I'm mountain biking solo, which is rare, I'll sometimes listen to music but I only keep one earbud in because there are usually a decent amount of people on the trails and if someone is coming up behind me I want to be able to hear their 'on your left' or whatever. A lot of the trails are narrow and no one wants to have to struggle to get around someone who's unaware that they're holding people up.

It can be risky too because if I can't hear and don't realize that there's another cyclist trying to pass me and I decide to turn at the wrong moment and we collide, suddenly my choice to listen to music becomes someone else's problem, which isn't cool. That goes for both the trails and the road.

I don't listen to music all that often. But when I do I listen to hymns. It's relaxing to listen to music but I don't like to do it a lot because I'd rather be more aware of my surroundings by being able to hear all that's going on. That's if I'm on the street. If I'm on a isolated trail, then I'll listen to music because there's not much around.

I see some mention of game soundtracks in here, and I totally, agree, they really get me pumped up while I'm riding. I'll also put in some house/electro music to quicken the pace, but anything that's motivating will do the trick for me. Having said this, my love for music is the reason I don't enjoy riding with anyone else, unless we have a mutual understanding where we are both going to listen to tunes and just do our thing.

I can never decide on a playlist, and make a new one from scratch on my phone before pretty much any time I go out. T

I listen to alternative rock and some of the popular music on my phone. I just use Spotify.

Well, music can really set your mood while riding your bike. But, I guess it is somehow dangerous to plug earphones on your ears and play some music, because you might not hear the honking of other vehicles that is about to overtake or for whatsoever reason they are honking.

I do listen to music while biking, or riding my motorcycle. Rock and alternative songs most of the time and I'm using my phone for that. But of course the volume is low enough to be aware about the environment.

This is not suggested when you have a run on the side of the road together with your group to avoid any unwanted accidents to happen. Listening to music while cycling is only applicable when you are just having a leisure run in a safe place. I'm not really against this kind of multitasking or habit but make sure that you won't be in trouble.

This is not suggested when you have a run on the side of the road together with your group to avoid any unwanted accidents to happen. Listening to music while cycling is only applicable when you are just having a leisure run in a safe place. I'm not really against this kind of multitasking or habit but make sure that you won't be in trouble.
Agreed, it could get quite difficult t hear your surrounding environment to warn you earlier for any potential danger. I only listen to music using a wireless headset and I just place it on one ear.

I am always careful when I am out there riding since I normally lose focus when I am riding. I don't enjoy playing music while I ride as we have been warned by the traffic authorities not to do so.

I don't listen to music all that often. But when I do I listen to hymns. It's relaxing to listen to music but I don't like to do it a lot because I'd rather be more aware of my surroundings by being able to hear all that's going on. That's if I'm on the street. If I'm on a isolated trail, then I'll listen to music because there's not much around.
You're right. In our country, there are so many accidents cause of headphones. One of the worst accident was when the bikers hits by train because he's not aware, he was using the headphones and listening to the music during that time.

I have never cycled with two headphones and the music in this headphone is quiet. I always have one ear free to hear what is happening around me. And I don't even understand those people who, when they drive a car, and listen to music very loudly, because in this case, even a hoot will not be heard