Musical Pitches for Shamal Spokes?

BianchiJock

Oct 4, 2003
I want to use John Allen's Musical Pitch Method, not only to balance relative tension, but to check absolute tension on my Shamal wheels

Does anyone know the appropriate musical pitches that would correspond to these tensions on these wheels?

The spokes are all bladed and all the same length (283mm) but those on the rear drive side are somewhat heavier (can't find mass/length for either type).

I'm supposed to have 47kg tension on the rear non-drive side, 62kg on the front and 110kg on the rear drive side.

Much obliged!
Roger

{PS: Yes, I know I can only set tension on the drive side and that the non-drive side tension will ultimately result from proper dishing}

Help me out here... surely there's a physics major of a math guru out there. Or if you ride Shamals, how about posting the pitches that your own wheels play...?

Originally posted by BianchiJock
Help me out here... surely there's a physics major of a math guru out there. Or if you ride Shamals, how about posting the pitches that your own wheels play...?

Wow, I don't know how'd you do that without knowing the properties of the metal. It would be much easier to find the tune of a properly tensioned one rather than try to calculate the pitch based on the metal and tension.

True, and you would probably need an osciliscope to do it right anyway. The best way to find the actual tension of a spoke is with a tensiometer, available from Wheelsmith, DT, and the like..

Anytime the tension is changed on a given spoke, and thus so the pitch, the tension on other spokes in the wheel will change as well. A well built wheel will have simular pitched spokes as you spin the wheel, but not perfect, as the rim run out, spoke length differences, erd differences around the rim, and hub drillings would have to be absolutely perfect to have perfect pitch across the wheel.