Must have brands -- accept no substitutes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tara, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Tara

    Tara Guest

    I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    for which I must have a particular brand.

    Heinz ketchup
    Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    Pace salsa
    Tabasco hot sauce

    Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

    Tara

    Tags:

  2. dee

    dee Guest

    Tara wrote:
    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
    >
    > Tara

    Yes, Tabasco!
    Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

  3. On Tue 07 Feb 2006 05:41:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

    > Tara wrote:
    >> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    >> for which I must have a particular brand.
    >>
    >> Heinz ketchup
    >> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    >> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    >> Pace salsa
    >> Tabasco hot sauce
    >>
    >> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
    >>
    >> Tara

    > Yes, Tabasco!
    > Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

    Yes, Tabasco!
    Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
    Heinz 57 Sauce
    Coleman's Dry Mustard

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  4. Tara wrote:

    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

    Oreos
    Ben & Jerry's
    Hershey for cocoa

    Bob

  5. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    Tara wrote:

    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
    >
    > Tara

    I have a lot of *must have* brands. Here's a sampling but there are a
    lot more: Lea Perrins Worchestershire Sauce, Crosse & Blackwell Old
    English Fish & Chip Vinegar, Heinz vinegars especially pickling vinegar,
    Diana Sauce, Tobasco Hot Sauce, Frank's Hot Sauce, Maggi Seasoning
    (sauce). This doesn't even begin to touch on my preferences for spices,
    sugars, salts, or oils.

  6. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Tara wrote:

    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

    I used to like Peek Frean biscuits. Recently they started packaging them
    in boxes rather than bags. I expected that to mean fewer broken cookies.
    I was wrong on that one. I found more broken than I had with the bags. I
    also noticed that some of the varieties of cookies had changed. I was
    going to write the company to let them know that I thought the change
    was bad. It turns out that Peak Freans is now part of the Kraft
    conglomerate.

  7. Teri

    Teri Guest

    "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
    >
    > Tara

    Reynold's wrap
    Bounty towels
    boar's head cold cuts
    Teri

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    Tara wrote:
    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce

    I can see maintaining brand loyalty to a few things like ketchup and
    mayo. But a lot of foods and condiments lend themselves to great
    variety in their making, and by sticking to just one brand you miss out
    on that variety. Salsas and hot sauces, for example, can range far
    from what Pace and Tabasco offer. -aem

  9. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Yes, Tabasco!

    Yep

    > Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

    Yep

    > Heinz 57 Sauce

    I have been living quite happily without that.

    > Coleman's Dry Mustard

    Kean's Dry Mustard

    Agnostura bitters

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
    >
    > Tara

    Best Foods mayo - I get complaints when I buy something different so
    there is a difference in flavor from store brands.
    C&H sugar - that sugar beet stuff smells vile
    Niman Ranch bacon

    marcella

  11. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Tara wrote:

    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.

    I don't understand the Duke's thing. When I moved to VA, I was told
    that Duke's is a true southerner's mayo, whereas Helman's/Best Foods is
    for northerners and west coast gals. I bought a small jar of Duke's and
    found that I coulnd't taste a difference. I but Hellman's?best Foods
    becaue they have a decent tasting lowfat mayo. It used to be called
    Just2Good, but now it's just lowfat mayo. So that's my brand loyalty.

    Annies or Ken's for bottled salad dressings. Mostly I make my own. Blue
    Bonnet for margarine, used sometimes for baking. It's what my mother
    used, that's why i use it.

    Daisy or Breakstone's Sour Cream, definitely. They actually taste sour.
    (And the lowfat versions are prtty good too.) And they're natural
    style, so they don't use gelatin as thickeners.

    Tropicana O.J.

    Realemon over store brand, never seen any other choice.

    Contadina tomato paste. I think it's got less sugar than many brands.

    OT pet peeve: I HATE the fact that they've started using plastic jars
    instead of glass for their mayo. I love the size of the jars and I
    would wash them, then re-use them to freeze spaghetti sauce or soups.
    And I don't believe the new plastic ones are taken by my city for
    recycling.

  12. bob

    bob Guest

    "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup
    > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    > Pace salsa
    > Tabasco hot sauce

    montreal-fish seasoning.

    bob

  13. bob

    bob Guest

  14. Tara <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    > for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    > Heinz ketchup

    Del Monte ketchup, heinz is too watery

    > Tabasco hot sauce

    Tapatio, tobasco adds a vinegar flavor, while tapatio uses no vinegar. So
    you can add as much as you like to get a lot of heat with no major
    flavor/acidity change.

    --
    ---
    Charles Quinn

    "Choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil" - Jerry Garcia

  15. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:36:19 GMT, Tara <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    >for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    >Heinz ketchup

    I grew up in Pittsburgh and have never bought anything other than
    Heinz ketchup. It was as you say - accept no substitutes. I used
    to boycott places that didn't serve Heinz.

    Until yesterday when I bought "Parade" ketchup (an IGA store
    brand). I could swear this is just Heinz in different packaging.
    And at half the price.

    >Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    >Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    >Pace salsa
    >Tabasco hot sauce

    Here I can't agree with you. Dukes tasted old to me, Tabasco has
    way too much vinegar (much better brands out there). And Pace,
    well...

    -sw

  16. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 8 Feb 2006 02:01:28 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

    Yes, definitely. No substitutes.

    >Heinz 57 Sauce

    Both Krogers and Walmart have a store-brand knock-off of H57 that
    you can't tell isn't the real stuff. You can either spend $3.99
    or $1.69.

    -sw

  17. modom

    modom Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:36:19 GMT, Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
    >for which I must have a particular brand.
    >
    >Heinz ketchup
    >Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
    >Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
    >Pace salsa
    >Tabasco hot sauce
    >
    >Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

    Bufalo chipotle sauce.

    modom

  18. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:50:20 -0600, modom <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Bufalo chipotle sauce.

    Now that the Tabasco((R) version has been discontinued, I don't
    think Bufalo has any competition ;-)

    -sw

  19. WHAT?????????????????????
    Tabasco Chipotle is no more??
    Just because it took me a year to use a bottle (I live alone) . . .
    I use canned chipotles for most things in quantity, but it was sure
    nice to have quick & easy Tabasco around!

    As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates, real butter
    (no margerine)

    Gotta think some more

    Lynn in Fargo

  20. "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > WHAT?????????????????????
    > Tabasco Chipotle is no more??
    > Just because it took me a year to use a bottle (I live alone) . . .
    > I use canned chipotles for most things in quantity, but it was sure
    > nice to have quick & easy Tabasco around!
    >
    > As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates, real butter
    > (no margerine)
    >
    > Gotta think some more
    >
    > Lynn in Fargo

    Real butter is a given. Home made stock is a given also. Margarine ~~~~ ;(
    pathoui....

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise