Must have brands -- accept no substitutes

"Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tabasco hot sauce

Yes...Tabasco is the Holy of Holies; thou shalt not use
any substitute. ( I do keep a bottle of Frank's around as well,
but that's only for authentic Buffalo wings...it does NOT go
in anything as a substitute for the One True Tabasco, ever!)

Kraft Mac & Cheese - when you're doing mac from a box,
there's no other way.

There also doesn't appear to be anything, really, that competes
with Velveeta in terms of "brick of cheeselike gunk in a box,"
but then I can't really say I'm a big Velveeta user. It's just that
I've noticed that there ISN'T anything else like this.

Nothing, IMHO, seems to compete with Celestial Seasonings
tea, either. And THAT stuff I keep on hand in huge quantities!

Not a food, but Elmer's glue is the only thing I would accept
for...well....for Elmer's glue! Ditto Scotch brand tape - the
competition just isn't the same.

Bob M.

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > On 7 Feb 2006 20:33:48 -0800, "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>WHAT?????????????????????
> >>Tabasco Chipotle is no more??

> > None of the stores in my area have had it for at least a year. The
> > "Tabasco Locator" on their site says it's available, but it lies.

I know I've seen it recently in several stores here in CO.
Maybe the Tabasco people just figured that there was no
point in selling this stuff in those parts of the country where
y'all couldn't say "chipotle" correctly....;-)

Bob M.

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Kellogg's Rice Krispies: The other brands don't seem to be as toasty.
Old El Paso chili seasoning mix: It's the only chili powder I know
that has cocoa in it.

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I find the store brands of sour cream just fine. I'll buy Daisy when it's
> on sale. Same with cream cheese and Philadelphia. Sometimes there is a huge
> price difference. I'm not a cheap person, I'm just thrifty sometimes.

ooh! that reminds me. I prefer Breakstone's sour cream over any other
brand or store brand, but I only buy it when it is on sale. The rest of
the time I'll use whatever.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

serene wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:11:25 GMT, sarah bennett
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

> Your "Greek" meatballs look so yummy!
>
> serene

thanks! I had to come up with something to use up some yogurt :)

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Nancy Young wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates

> Redi-Base beat out Better than in the beef category
> in Cook's Illustrated, as a matter of fact, the Better than
> was not recommended.
>
> Just FYI.
>
> nancy

I like redi base...but I haven't seen or tried better than so I can't say
for sure. I use Redi's chicken and their turkey pastes a fair bit. Redi
base's clam stock makes good chowder as well.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>> Redi-Base beat out Better than in the beef category
>> in Cook's Illustrated, as a matter of fact, the Better than
>> was not recommended.
>>
>> Just FYI.

> I like redi base...but I haven't seen or tried better than so I can't say
> for sure. I use Redi's chicken and their turkey pastes a fair bit. Redi
> base's clam stock makes good chowder as well.

I bet. I haven't tried the other stuff, either, only the redi-base,
and even then only the beef and chicken. If I liked clams I would
for sure get that (smile).

nancy

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup

The local supermarket here (Schnucks) makes a pretty well perfect knock
off, but the other name brands, Hunt's, Brook's, DelMonte, etc. are
nowhere as good as Heinz.

> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.

Have you ever tasted freshly made mayo. Jarred mayo is nasty, no
matter the brand.

> Pace salsa

Jarred Salsa is a poor substitute for real salsa.

> Tabasco hot sauce

All that vinegarry **** is good for is trying to cover up the taste of
bad food.

> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

--Bryan

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 09:03:34 -0500, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

> Read the label.... they usually say "packaged by "...." for "......"

Yep - I know. Heinz packages some 15 other brands of ketchup
under different labels. I'd bet this is one of them.

-sw

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates

> Redi-Base beat out Better than in the beef category
> in Cook's Illustrated, as a matter of fact, the Better than
> was not recommended.

Wasn't their main complaint the salt content?

I use BtB in my chili, and it's hard not to just eat the stock...

--Blair

"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Redi-Base beat out Better than in the beef category
>> in Cook's Illustrated, as a matter of fact, the Better than
>> was not recommended.

> Wasn't their main complaint the salt content?
>
> I use BtB in my chili, and it's hard not to just eat the stock...

Yes. I buy their Supreme beef (and chicken) which is lower salt.

nancy

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Hunt's ketchup
Spam
Cabot sharp cheddar cheese
Herdez canned chipotles

Used to be Pace picante sauce, until they changed it and ruined it.

Best regards,
Bob

Heinz ketchup
Hellman's mayo (full octane only - 'lite' sux)
Huy Fong sriracha
Smith's natural casing hot dogs (it's a Great Lakes thang)

Bob Myers wrote:

> I know I've seen it recently in several stores here in CO.
> Maybe the Tabasco people just figured that there was no
> point in selling this stuff in those parts of the country where
> y'all couldn't say "chipotle" correctly....;-)

Rhymes with "bottle", doesn't it? ;)

We can get it here in Michigan, BTW. Bought a botle last Friday.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Rhymes with "bottle", doesn't it? ;)

i've never heard that

i think it ryhmes with nolte, as in Nick nolte

chipolte

last call wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Rhymes with "bottle", doesn't it? ;)

> i've never heard that
>
> i think it ryhmes with nolte, as in Nick nolte
>
> chipolte

Chi po tleee not chipolte

biig wrote:

> Chi po tleee not chipolte

well, being too lazy to lookit up
im just going by the taco bell commercial

i just know they don't say
chi-pottle sauce (as in bottle)

maybe I will get some for lunch

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Must have brands for me:

Rumford baking powder
King Arthur flour