Must use 10-Speed chain with Ultegra 6603 crank?

RS

Guest
I think the bottom bracket is going on my bike, Truvativ giga sl isis and
I'm thinking of upgrading to a better crank then the Truvativ Elita on the
bike. Rest of the drive is 9-speed which I would keep, but must I go to a
10 speed chain or will the 9-speed chain I'm using (currently Connex
9x1) work ok?

thanks to all . .

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:19:44 -0700, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think the bottom bracket is going on my bike, Truvativ giga sl isis and
>I'm thinking of upgrading to a better crank then the Truvativ Elita on the
>bike. Rest of the drive is 9-speed which I would keep, but must I go to a
>10 speed chain or will the 9-speed chain I'm using (currently Connex
>9x1) work ok?
>
>thanks to all . .

9-speed chain should be fine. The experts say, match the chain to the
cassette.

Life is Good!
Jeff

RS wrote:
> I think the bottom bracket is going on my bike, Truvativ giga sl isis and
> I'm thinking of upgrading to a better crank then the Truvativ Elita on the
> bike. Rest of the drive is 9-speed which I would keep, but must I go to a
> 10 speed chain or will the 9-speed chain I'm using (currently Connex
> 9x1) work ok?
>
> thanks to all . .

No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola..I have
installed 8s chains(Sram PC-48) onto so called '10s' cranks w/o
problerm or need for any modifications.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> RS wrote:
>> I think the bottom bracket is going on my bike, Truvativ giga sl isis and
>> I'm thinking of upgrading to a better crank then the Truvativ Elita on the
>> bike. Rest of the drive is 9-speed which I would keep, but must I go to a
>> 10 speed chain or will the 9-speed chain I'm using (currently Connex
>> 9x1) work ok?
>>
>> thanks to all . .

> No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
> that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola..I have
> installed 8s chains(Sram PC-48) onto so called '10s' cranks w/o
> problerm or need for any modifications.

Of course, we could deny the reports that sometimes a narrow chain on an
older crank will result in "skating chain" syndrome. That is, the chain
will slip over the small ring due to it falling mostly in between the
rings and the chain plates riding over the teeth.

That's not "w/o problerm".

This occasionally occurs on one of my setups.

Robin Hubert

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:19:44 -0700, RS <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think the bottom bracket is going on my bike, Truvativ giga sl isis and
>I'm thinking of upgrading to a better crank then the Truvativ Elita on the
>bike. Rest of the drive is 9-speed which I would keep, but must I go to a
>10 speed chain or will the 9-speed chain I'm using (currently Connex
>9x1) work ok?

The chain must match the rear custer to some extent (10sp chain on a
10sp cluster, 9 or 10 on a 9sp cluster, 8 or better on an 8-speed,
etc) but the front sprockets will happily use whatever der chain you
throw on.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
> that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola

"Only online places", Gracie? I'd wager there are some brick & mortar
joints that can foist with the best of 'em.

Bill "been in a few, even" S.

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:48:19 GMT, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>> No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
>> that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola

>"Only online places", Gracie? I'd wager there are some brick & mortar
>joints that can foist with the best of 'em.

And not just on the right or left coast, either; there are a couple of
them around here with that problem.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:48:19 GMT, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>> No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
>> that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola

>"Only online places", Gracie? I'd wager there are some brick & mortar
>joints that can foist with the best of 'em.

There's one that sits directly between where I live and where I usually ride.
They can foist like nobody's business.
They foist without me now.

Ron

Robin Hubert wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > RS wrote:
> >> I think the bottom bracket is going on my bike, Truvativ giga sl isis and
> >> I'm thinking of upgrading to a better crank then the Truvativ Elita on the
> >> bike. Rest of the drive is 9-speed which I would keep, but must I go to a
> >> 10 speed chain or will the 9-speed chain I'm using (currently Connex
> >> 9x1) work ok?
> >>
> >> thanks to all . .

> > No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
> > that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola..I have
> > installed 8s chains(Sram PC-48) onto so called '10s' cranks w/o
> > problerm or need for any modifications.
> >

> Of course, we could deny the reports that sometimes a narrow chain on an
> older crank will result in "skating chain" syndrome. That is, the chain
> will slip over the small ring due to it falling mostly in between the
> rings and the chain plates riding over the teeth.
>
> That's not "w/o problerm".
>
> This occasionally occurs on one of my setups.
>

> Robin Hubert

Well Robin, maybe you are comfy selling a '10s' crank, when mentioning
this 'problem', but in my experience, a new crank to match the chain
isn't necessary...

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > No crank, even the '10s' ones, "need" a 10s chain. Only online places
> > that want to sell ya something will foist this crappola

> "Only online places", Gracie? I'd wager there are some brick & mortar
> joints that can foist with the best of 'em.
>
> Bill "been in a few, even" S.

Yep, you are right, of course...even in the republic here, we give
'second' opinions that are much less expensive and much more accurate,
as to what is needed or not.