Mustard Fun

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by L'Espérance, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    I've been experimenting with different mustards including making my own.
    Ones we enjoy are: French's Honey, French's Bold n' Spicy Deli, Maille
    Dijon Original, Inglehoffer honey, and Jack Daniel's Stone Ground Dijon.
    I keep ground mustard on hand to mix up small batches of homemade
    mustard flavoured with whatever vinegar or wine I think will go well
    with the meal. A while ago I decided to try grinding mustard seeds to
    make mustard with more texture and was rather pleased with the results.
    While I keep French's plain yellow prepared mustard on hand, we
    seldom use it as a condiment. It's used as an ingredient mainly and
    sometimes it is mixed with mayo for a french fry dip.

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    L'Espérance wrote:
    > I've been experimenting with different mustards including making my own.
    > Ones we enjoy are: French's Honey, French's Bold n' Spicy Deli, Maille
    > Dijon Original, Inglehoffer honey, and Jack Daniel's Stone Ground Dijon.
    > I keep ground mustard on hand to mix up small batches of homemade
    > mustard flavoured with whatever vinegar or wine I think will go well
    > with the meal. A while ago I decided to try grinding mustard seeds to
    > make mustard with more texture and was rather pleased with the results.
    > While I keep French's plain yellow prepared mustard on hand, we
    > seldom use it as a condiment. It's used as an ingredient mainly and
    > sometimes it is mixed with mayo for a french fry dip.

    Penzeys has the best mustard, ground and crushed... their hot oriental
    mustard powder is to die for... I like to add a wee bit to regular
    mustard to kick it up a notch. Their prices are so low it doesn't pay
    to grind your own. Mixing mustard with beer is much better than with
    wine. The secret to making prepared mustard is to never let it come
    into contact with any metal.

    Coleman mustard powder is crap, it's not dated and could be years old
    when you buy it, plus it's not pure mustard, contains wheat flour...
    and the worst part is it's packaged in a metal container, a big no-no
    with mustard.

  3. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > L'Espérance wrote:
    >> I've been experimenting with different mustards including making my own.
    >> Ones we enjoy are: French's Honey, French's Bold n' Spicy Deli, Maille
    >> Dijon Original, Inglehoffer honey, and Jack Daniel's Stone Ground Dijon.
    >> I keep ground mustard on hand to mix up small batches of homemade
    >> mustard flavoured with whatever vinegar or wine I think will go well
    >> with the meal. A while ago I decided to try grinding mustard seeds to
    >> make mustard with more texture and was rather pleased with the results.
    >> While I keep French's plain yellow prepared mustard on hand, we
    >> seldom use it as a condiment. It's used as an ingredient mainly and
    >> sometimes it is mixed with mayo for a french fry dip.

    > Penzeys has the best mustard, ground and crushed... their hot oriental
    > mustard powder is to die for... I like to add a wee bit to regular
    > mustard to kick it up a notch. Their prices are so low it doesn't pay
    > to grind your own. Mixing mustard with beer is much better than with
    > wine. The secret to making prepared mustard is to never let it come
    > into contact with any metal.
    >
    > Coleman mustard powder is crap, it's not dated and could be years old
    > when you buy it, plus it's not pure mustard, contains wheat flour...
    > and the worst part is it's packaged in a metal container, a big no-no
    > with mustard.

    I'll agree with your assesment of Coleman's dried mustard. I still keep it
    on hand. Why I don't know. Penzey's mustard is the best IMO. I don't buy
    a lot of it and try to keep it fresh.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  4. serene

    serene Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:21:23 -0500, L'Espérance <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've been experimenting with different mustards including making my own.
    > Ones we enjoy are: French's Honey, French's Bold n' Spicy Deli, Maille
    >Dijon Original, Inglehoffer honey, and Jack Daniel's Stone Ground Dijon.

    I have rarely met a mustard I didn't like, but dijon isn't a favorite.
    Recently, I was at Sur La Table and bought Moutard a l'Ancienne from
    Boufor (they're at www.vinaigre.com ), and it's really really good.

    serene

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > L'Espérance wrote:
    > >> I've been experimenting with different mustards including making my own.
    > >> Ones we enjoy are: French's Honey, French's Bold n' Spicy Deli, Maille
    > >> Dijon Original, Inglehoffer honey, and Jack Daniel's Stone Ground Dijon.
    > >> I keep ground mustard on hand to mix up small batches of homemade
    > >> mustard flavoured with whatever vinegar or wine I think will go well
    > >> with the meal. A while ago I decided to try grinding mustard seeds to
    > >> make mustard with more texture and was rather pleased with the results.
    > >> While I keep French's plain yellow prepared mustard on hand, we
    > >> seldom use it as a condiment. It's used as an ingredient mainly and
    > >> sometimes it is mixed with mayo for a french fry dip.

    > > Penzeys has the best mustard, ground and crushed... their hot oriental
    > > mustard powder is to die for... I like to add a wee bit to regular
    > > mustard to kick it up a notch. Their prices are so low it doesn't pay
    > > to grind your own. Mixing mustard with beer is much better than with
    > > wine. The secret to making prepared mustard is to never let it come
    > > into contact with any metal.
    > >
    > > Coleman mustard powder is crap, it's not dated and could be years old
    > > when you buy it, plus it's not pure mustard, contains wheat flour...
    > > and the worst part is it's packaged in a metal container, a big no-no
    > > with mustard.

    > I'll agree with your assesment of Coleman's dried mustard. I still keep it
    > on hand. Why I don't know. Penzey's mustard is the best IMO. I don't buy
    > a lot of it and try to keep it fresh.

    In the freezer.