Mustard tastes like horseradish‹›

Not Available

Guest
The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.

It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my
sinuses flare up.

Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
eating before?

I had French's mustard before.

Is that fake?

Not Available wrote:

> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>
> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my sinuses
> flare up.
>
> Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
> eating before?
>
> I had French's mustard before.
>
> Is that fake?

French's is "prepared mustard". It has its place, like on
hamburgs and hot dogs, but there are a lot of different
types of mustard around, most of them having a lot more zip
than the "prepared" staff. Dijon mustard is quite tasty, but
is still relatively mild compared to some of the mustards
out there.

[email protected] (Not Available) wrote in news:16737-404B9B1A-207
@storefull-3313.bay.webtv.net:

> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>
> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my sinuses
> flare up.
>
> Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
> eating before?
>
> I had French's mustard before.
>
> Is that fake?

Mustard seeds vary in their hotness, and the hotness can
also be altered by preparation method and aging. French's is
real mustard, but their formulation is mild. I usually
prefer Colman's.

Wayne

Not Available <[email protected]> wrote:
: The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.

: It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my sinuses
: flare up.

: Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
: eating before?

: I had French's mustard before.

: Is that fake?

Was this mustard prepared from Colman's mustard
powder? If so, you can use it to prepare something
very much like French's mustard--lots of vinegar,
some turmeric,salt,spices-- or you can mix it with
only water in such proportion to make something very
nose challenging. [For me the heat of mustard comes
through the nose, of ginger through the head, of
cayenne pepper through the throat.] --thelma

"Not Available" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>
> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my sinuses
> flare up.
>
> Someone said, "That's REAL mustard."

Yes, if you want the full experience grind your own mustard
seed, mix with a little water and wait for the flavour to
develop for 15 minutes, it will lose its strength after a
few days so you have to mix it fresh each time.

> So what have I been eating before?
>
> I had French's mustard before.
>
> Is that fake?

The intense flavour agents in fresh mustard are not
chemically stable on their own. Commercial pre-prepared
mustards may or may not go to some trouble to try to
stabilise those flavours but they diminish with age
regardless.

This URL http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/
explains some of this and refers to Colman mustard.

David

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Not Available) wrote:

> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>
> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my sinuses
> flare up.
>
> Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
> eating before?
>
> I had French's mustard before.
>
> Is that fake?

There are many kinds of mustard. Some of them really mellow
out as they get older. People also tend to keep mustard a
long time because it does not spoil easily (if at all), so
sometimes the smoothing out of the taste occurs so gradually
it's not very noticeable. Buy a brand new jar of a good
dijon mustard and try that out. Then let it sit a few weeks
and try it again. Your sinuses will thank you (later). :)

sd

>sd sd55117 says:

y.webtv.net>,
> [email protected] (Not Available) wrote:
>
>> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>>
>> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my
>> sinuses flare up.
>>
>> Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
>> eating before?
>>
>> I had French's mustard before.
>>
>> Is that fake?
>
>There are many kinds of mustard. Some of them really mellow
>out as they get older.

There are also different types of mustard seed... the type
used to prepare Chinese style mustard is far more potent
than the type used for preparing typical table mustards...
and many are a blend.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

[email protected] (PENMART01) deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

>>sd sd55117 says:
>
> y.webtv.net>,
>> [email protected] (Not Available) wrote:
>>
>>> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>>>
>>> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my
>>> sinuses flare up.
>>>
>>> Someone said, "That's REAL mustard." So what have I been
>>> eating before?
>>>
>>> I had French's mustard before.
>>>
>>> Is that fake?
>>
>>There are many kinds of mustard. Some of them really
>>mellow out as they get older.
>
> There are also different types of mustard seed... the type
> used to prepare Chinese style mustard is far more potent
> than the type used for preparing typical table mustards...
> and many are a blend.

Very good info Sheldon. I'm a mustard fanatic but know very
little about
it. I love the stuff and the best mustard is the mustard I
make myself. I've also bought $9 jars of the stuff from
Dierbergs or Straub's Market.

I have a question or maybe just a remark. I used the
powdered mustard mixed with a bit of water to make the hot
mustard I find in Chinese restaurants. Is this correct? It
tastes very similar and the heat is about the same.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

On 08 Mar 2004 01:27:24 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

>Btw, Colman's mustard powder is NOT pure mustard, it's
>composed of about 15% wheat flour... so those who have
>problems ingesting wheat products beware.

Wrong, as usual. Their 'genuine' superfine product contains
1% wheat flour, but their regular, default mustard does not
contain *any* wheat flour whatsoever, just mustard and
mustard flour.

-sw

>Here is a good resource:
>http://www.ilhawaii.net/~danrubio/mustard
>

>---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
>NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
>devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [email protected] (PENMART01) deliciously posted in news:20040307200519.02968.00000955@mb-
> m15.aol.com:
>
>>>sd sd55117 says:
>>
>> y.webtv.net>,

>>>There are many kinds of mustard. Some of them really
>>>mellow out as they get older.
>>
>> There are also different types of mustard seed... the
>> type used to prepare Chinese style mustard is far more
>> potent than the type used for preparing typical table
>> mustards... and many are a blend.
>
> Very good info Sheldon. I'm a mustard fanatic but know
> very little about it. I love the stuff and the best
> mustard is the mustard I make myself. I've also bought $9
> jars of the stuff from Dierbergs or Straub's Market.
>
> I have a question or maybe just a remark. I used the
> powdered mustard mixed with a bit of water to make the hot
> mustard I find in Chinese restaurants. Is this correct? It
> tastes very similar and the heat is about the same.
>
> Michael

That's what I do, too, Michael. Authentic? I dunno, but it
tastes right. Most Chinese mustards that I am familiar with
contain no vinegar, only water.

Wayne

On 08 Mar 2004 02:41:13 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

>>sqwertz@clueless spurts:
>>
>>>(PENMART01) wrote:
>>>
>>>Btw, Colman's mustard powder is NOT pure mustard, it's
>>>composed of about 15% wheat flour... so those who have
>>>problems ingesting wheat products beware.
>>
>>Wrong, as usual. Their 'genuine' superfine product
>>contains 1% wheat flour, but their regular, default
>>mustard does not contain *any* wheat flour whatsoever,
>>just mustard and mustard flour.

>You forgot to click here, putz:
>>>Here is a good resource:
>>>http://www.ilhawaii.net/~danrubio/mustard
>
>Sqwertz is such an imbecile he can't use an URL..
>
>Q: Can you tell me the ingredients and nutritional
> information for Colman's Mustard?
>
>A: I sure can! The ingredients are: ground mustard seed
> (w/o bran), and mustard flour. Here is the rest of the
> nutritional info for one teaspoon:
>
>Calories - 60 Fat Calories - 5 Total Fat - 1/2 gram (1%
>daily value) Sodium - 200 mg (8% daily value) Total Carb. -
>6 grams Sugar - 1 gram protein - 0 ***Those of you who are
>allergic to wheat flour*** The Double Superfine(DSF)
>mustard has *18% wheat flour*. The Genuine Double
>Superfine(GDX) has 1% wheat flour.

Exactly what I said, you babbling imbecile. Their regular
mustard powder doesn't have *any* flour but their superfine
products do apparently. I have a can that does not list
wheat flour as in ingredient.

-sw

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:15:15 -0000, Dog3 wrote:

> I have a question or maybe just a remark. I used the
> powdered mustard mixed with a bit of water to make the hot
> mustard I find in Chinese restaurants. Is this correct? It
> tastes very similar and the heat is about the same.

I learned somewhere (lost in time) to go 3-2-1: three parts
mustard powder, two parts soy sauce, one part water. Let sit
for an hour and then enjoy.

-Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com

Not Available wrote:
> The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>
> It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my sinuses
> flare up.

Probably English mustard when you're used to the milder
French ( or American ) forms.

I like Hot English Mustard, but then I like the hit you get
from Wasabi too. It's why I don't try drugs :)

"lea b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Not Available wrote:
: > The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
: >
:
: Probably English mustard when you're used to the
: milder French
( or
: American ) forms.
:
: I like Hot English Mustard, but then I like the hit you
: get
from Wasabi too.
: It's why I don't try drugs :)
:
:
================

Speaking of Wasabi, I've been eating Wasabi Peas like
they're candy. Yummmmmm!!!!
--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in news:qoU2c.202495
$uV3.818600@attbi_s51:

> "lea b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>: Not Available wrote:
>: > The other day, I ate Colman's mustard.
>: >
>: > It tasted like horseradish! It was hot and made my
>: > sinuses
> flare up.
>:
>: Probably English mustard when you're used to the
>: milder French
> ( or
>: American ) forms.
>:
>: I like Hot English Mustard, but then I like the hit
>: you get
> from Wasabi too.
>: It's why I don't try drugs :)
>:
>:
> ================
>
> Speaking of Wasabi, I've been eating Wasabi Peas like
> they're candy. Yummmmmm!!!!

You mean they're NOT candy? <G

if you are using dry mustard powder to mix your own ,then
instead of using water try mixing it up with milk or a
little cream, much nicer.

if you are using dry mustard powder to mix your own ,then
instead of using water try mixing it up with milk or a
little cream, much nicer.

if you are using dry mustard powder to mix your own ,then
instead of using water try mixing it up with milk or a
little cream, much nicer.

Yeff <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:15:15 -0000, Dog3 wrote:
>
>> I have a question or maybe just a remark. I used the
>> powdered mustard mixed with a bit of water to make the
>> hot mustard I find in Chinese restaurants. Is this
>> correct? It tastes very similar and the heat is about
>> the same.
>
> I learned somewhere (lost in time) to go 3-2-1: three
> parts mustard powder, two parts soy sauce, one part water.
> Let sit for an hour and then enjoy.
>
> -Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com

That's interesting. 3-2-1. I've never used soy sauce. I
don't know what proportions I've been using but I stir the
water in until the consistency is the way I like it. I do
let it sit for a bit before using. Thanks for the tip.

Michael