Mutano Raptor Race "2.4" - up to 80 psi???

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by x, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. x

    x Guest

    Doesn't sound right for such a big tire.

    WTB's site doesn't say anything about pressures, but Performance claims "35-80
    psi" (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=14783).

    They're also about 30 grams heavier in their weight figure than WTB, but that's still the biggest
    casing of that series.

    Anybody have a set? I've got a set of older ones that are up for replacement, but they're only rated
    to 60 psi - not that I run them much over 40...but it would be nice to have the 80 psi option for
    road rides.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Doesn't sound right for such a big tire.
    >
    > WTB's site doesn't say anything about pressures, but Performance claims
    "35-80
    > psi" (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=14783).
    >
    > They're also about 30 grams heavier in their weight figure than WTB, but
    that's
    > still the biggest casing of that series.
    >
    > Anybody have a set? I've got a set of older ones that are up for
    replacement,
    > but they're only rated to 60 psi - not that I run them much over 40...but
    it
    > would be nice to have the 80 psi option for road rides.

    You think too much :)

  3. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Doesn't sound right for such a big tire.
    > >
    > > WTB's site doesn't say anything about pressures, but Performance claims
    > "35-80
    > > psi" (http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=14783).
    > >
    > > They're also about 30 grams heavier in their weight figure than WTB, but
    > that's
    > > still the biggest casing of that series.
    > >
    > > Anybody have a set? I've got a set of older ones that are up for
    > replacement,
    > > but they're only rated to 60 psi - not that I run them much over
    40...but
    > it
    > > would be nice to have the 80 psi option for road rides.
    >
    > You think too much :)

    Or not enough.

    Think about it... What's the most obvious reason why Performance would list it as 35-80 when it says
    different on the tire itself? (Hint: They've been known to be off in their product descriptions.)

    My Mutano 2.4 tires, along with my 2.24 Mutano and Motoraptors, all bought within the last year,
    list 35-65 psi on the sidewalls. Why you would need to run any MTB tire that large at 80 psi is
    beyond me. Even with smaller tires like the 1.95 Specialized Crossroads III, which are designed for
    mixed dirt/pavement use and rated up to 80 psi, I really don't see any advantage of going much
    beyond 65 psi on the road. I've been through several sets of these tires over the last several and
    running them at max. pressure just made the ride harsher with no noticeable increase in efficiency.

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 00:46:59 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anybody have a set? I've got a set of older ones that are up for replacement, but they're only
    >rated to 60 psi - not that I run them much over 40...but it would be nice to have the 80 psi option
    >for road rides.

    You'll need at least 125psi for road rides ;-)

    :-]

  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I just got some from Cambria Bike. These are rated 35-65 psi.

    Be sure your rim can handle the high pressure.

    - Frank