My 1st LC Christmas Eve dinner

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ernst Primer, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    .... I felt I should mention it in light of the media's relatively
    recent (although currently subsided) drumbeat of the demise of low
    carbing in the US. Traditional Christmas Eve dinner was at my cousin
    Sheila's house. Her husband, Mike, fortunately enough, had discovered
    low-carbing himself about a year ago.

    Although I've apparently lost over 50 pounds thus far in the past 8
    months or so, he's dropped nearly twice as much over the last year (and
    he's about a foot shorter than I am). Although my cousin was never that
    chunky, even she's gotten on board, joined her husband, and dropped
    some weight herself. They both look incredible.

    Coincidentally enough, my father-in-law, who is Christmasing in
    Chicago right now, has also been low-carbing for the past year, and has
    lost at least 30-40 pounds himself. In short, although Atkins has gone
    into bankruptcy and the diet fad industry has largely moved on, a large
    portion of the men in my family have been LC-ing over the past year,
    and have been damn successful at it. Funny that.

    Oh, and yes, Christmas dinner was great. Started with appetizers,
    which emphasized aged cheeses (bread optional), fresh veggies and ranch
    dip, and bacon-wrapped dates (I only had three). The appetizer was a
    mushroom-stuffed tomato with mozarella cheese baked on top. Dinner was
    several huge racks of barbecued lamb, two kinds of sausage, and a
    spinach-feta stew of some kind that was to **die** for.

    The best part was dessert. There were cookies for the non LC-ers in
    my family, but the piece de resistance was a gigantic mountain of
    berries... blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries,
    with a huge bowl of lightly sweetened whipped cream for those who
    desired it.

    Absolutely fabulous Christmas Eve dinner. Hope everyone else's
    weekend was wonderful as well.
     
    Tags:


  2. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    Oh, and officially, as of yesterday:

    260/204.5/200

    started 4/27/05

    Ernst Primer wrote:
    > ... I felt I should mention it in light of the media's relatively
    > recent (although currently subsided) drumbeat of the demise of low
    > carbing in the US. Traditional Christmas Eve dinner was at my cousin
    > Sheila's house. Her husband, Mike, fortunately enough, had discovered
    > low-carbing himself about a year ago.
    >
    > Although I've apparently lost over 50 pounds thus far in the past 8
    > months or so, he's dropped nearly twice as much over the last year (and
    > he's about a foot shorter than I am). Although my cousin was never that
    > chunky, even she's gotten on board, joined her husband, and dropped
    > some weight herself. They both look incredible.
    >
    > Coincidentally enough, my father-in-law, who is Christmasing in
    > Chicago right now, has also been low-carbing for the past year, and has
    > lost at least 30-40 pounds himself. In short, although Atkins has gone
    > into bankruptcy and the diet fad industry has largely moved on, a large
    > portion of the men in my family have been LC-ing over the past year,
    > and have been damn successful at it. Funny that.
    >
    > Oh, and yes, Christmas dinner was great. Started with appetizers,
    > which emphasized aged cheeses (bread optional), fresh veggies and ranch
    > dip, and bacon-wrapped dates (I only had three). The appetizer was a
    > mushroom-stuffed tomato with mozarella cheese baked on top. Dinner was
    > several huge racks of barbecued lamb, two kinds of sausage, and a
    > spinach-feta stew of some kind that was to **die** for.
    >
    > The best part was dessert. There were cookies for the non LC-ers in
    > my family, but the piece de resistance was a gigantic mountain of
    > berries... blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries,
    > with a huge bowl of lightly sweetened whipped cream for those who
    > desired it.
    >
    > Absolutely fabulous Christmas Eve dinner. Hope everyone else's
    > weekend was wonderful as well.
     
  3. Ernst Primer wrote:
    >
    > Oh, and officially, as of yesterday:
    > 260/204.5/200
    > started 4/27/05


    My psychic just called. Napoleon is jealous. You rule
    What with Napoleon being dead and all, he doesn't any more.
    ;^)

    We had lamb roast with garlic slivers, brussels sprouts sauteed
    in olive oil, carrots in a sauce that was too sweet so it went to
    the carb eaters, a salad of mixed greens, baked potato with
    sour cream and stuff (I had half making it a carby meal for me).
    Dessert was fresh berries with heavy cream. I was planning on
    having red wine but there was Diet Rite and it was good and I
    just didn't feel like opening a bottle of wine for just a sip.

    I was going to get a sweet potato to have baked instead of
    the white one, but I forgot while I was out shopping. Baked
    sweet potato is less carby than white spuds but carbier than
    many veggies, a maintenance food not early plan food.
     
  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Doug Freyburger <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> Ernst Primer wrote:
    :>>
    :>> Oh, and officially, as of yesterday:
    :>> 260/204.5/200
    :>> started 4/27/05
    :>
    :> My psychic just called. Napoleon is jealous. You rule
    :> What with Napoleon being dead and all, he doesn't any more.
    :> ;^)
    :>
    :> We had lamb roast with garlic slivers, brussels sprouts sauteed
    :> in olive oil, carrots in a sauce that was too sweet so it went to
    :> the carb eaters, a salad of mixed greens, baked potato with
    :> sour cream and stuff (I had half making it a carby meal for me).
    :> Dessert was fresh berries with heavy cream. I was planning on
    :> having red wine but there was Diet Rite and it was good and I
    :> just didn't feel like opening a bottle of wine for just a sip.
    :>
    :> I was going to get a sweet potato to have baked instead of
    :> the white one, but I forgot while I was out shopping. Baked
    :> sweet potato is less carby than white spuds but carbier than
    :> many veggies, a maintenance food not early plan food.

    Have you tried baked rutabaga? Or, rutabaga cooked like sweet potatoes,
    except
    using liquid splenda? I can't tell the difference between the last two.
     
  5. Roger Zoul wrote:
    >
    > Have you tried baked rutabaga? Or, rutabaga cooked like sweet potatoes,
    > except using liquid splenda? I can't tell the difference between the last two.


    I love swedes/rooties so thanx for the ideas. So far I've only made
    them mashed or in stews and soups. They are too hard to do well
    deep fried, but then again julliened they should do fine. Smaller
    than pommes frites more like potato sticks. Rootie sticks. Mmmm.
     
Loading...