My 4 year old son has blood in urine

Brianewilliams

Guest
Yesterday, my son called for me to come into to him while he
was sitting on the toilet. He said, "Daddy, look my pee pee
is red!" Needless to say I freaked out a bit, but since he
is feeling fine, we decided to wait until Monday to see his
pediatrician.

He is two months shy of his 4th birthday and, other than
this, very healthy and seems to feel fine. He says that
wasn't the first time he had blood in his urine, but getting
an exact onset out of him is impossible.

At first, the urine comes out nice and yellow, and then at
the end, it becomes pinkish-red and a few more cc's comes
out that way. The first time I asked to see it, he actually
squeezed his penis rather hard to get the blood out, and I
asked him to stop that, but like many young boys, the
attraction is strong!

Anyway, this morning at 6:30, I heard him go into the
bathroom, and by the time I rushed in, I saw the last bits
of red urine come out, not sure if he squeezed it this time.
He hasn't urinated since.

He frequently holds and squeezes his penis during the day.
Sometimes he says it hurts when be urinates, but sometimes
says it doesn't. I think he is afraid to go to the doctor
about this, so is trying to cover up a bit. He also urinates
pretty infrequently, and we had never worried about it until
now since he never wets his pants, knock on wood.

Trying to get some info before we see his doctor tomorrow.
Any thoughts on what this could be? What are the possible
tests our doctor might order? Thanks.

On 2004-04-11 09:28:57 -0400, [email protected] (BrianEWilliams) said:

> Trying to get some info before we see his doctor tomorrow.
> Any thoughts on what this could be? What are the possible
> tests our doctor might order? Thanks.

Probably a urethral stricture, common in boys your son's
age, and easily fixable by a pediatric urologist. A workup
to rule out other causes (e.g., infection, tumors, etc.) is,
of course, in order. Your child's doctor will provide
details, I'm sure.

anon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004041111250575249%anon@anoncom>...
> On 2004-04-11 09:28:57 -0400, [email protected]
> (BrianEWilliams) said:
>
> > Trying to get some info before we see his doctor
> > tomorrow. Any thoughts on what this could be? What are
> > the possible tests our doctor might order? Thanks.
>
> Probably a urethral stricture, common in boys your son's
> age, and easily fixable by a pediatric urologist. A workup
> to rule out other causes (e.g., infection, tumors, etc.)
> is, of course, in order. Your child's doctor will provide
> details, I'm sure.

Hmmm, probably seems like a strong word. Very strong and
consistent urine flow seems to contraindicate a urethral
stricture, but what do I know?

Took him to see the doctor, initial signs point to a bladder
infection. Doctor prescribed Augmentin ($80, ouch!), and we
will wait on the culture results in a couple of days.

On 2004-04-13 12:33:44 -0400, [email protected] (BrianEWilliams) said:

> anon <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On 2004-04-11 09:28:57 -0400, [email protected]
>> (BrianEWilliams) said:
>>
>>> Trying to get some info before we see his doctor
>>> tomorrow. Any thoughts on what this could be? What are
>>> the possible tests our doctor might order? Thanks.
>>
>> Probably a urethral stricture, common in boys your son's
>> age, and easily fixable by a pediatric urologist. A
>> workup to rule out other causes (e.g., infection, tumors,
>> etc.) is, of course, in order. Your child's doctor will
>> provide details, I'm sure.
>
> Hmmm, probably seems like a strong word. Very strong and
> consistent urine flow seems to contraindicate a urethral
> stricture, but what do I know?

Well, you asked.

> Took him to see the doctor, initial signs point to a
> bladder infection. Doctor prescribed Augmentin ($80,
> ouch!), and we will wait on the culture results in a
> couple of days.

Gee, a doctor who actually saw your son and performed
appropriate diagnostic testing came up with a different
diagnosis than a stranger on the Internet. Who'd a thunk it?

anon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004041318543150073%anon@anoncom>...
> On 2004-04-13 12:33:44 -0400, [email protected]
> (BrianEWilliams) said:
>
> > anon <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Probably a urethral stricture, common in boys your
> >> son's age, and easily fixable by a pediatric urologist.
> >> A workup to rule out other causes (e.g., infection,
> >> tumors, etc.) is, of course, in order. Your child's
> >> doctor will provide details, I'm sure.
> >
> > Hmmm, probably seems like a strong word. Very strong and
> > consistent urine flow seems to contraindicate a urethral
> > stricture, but what do I know?
>
> Well, you asked.
>
> > Took him to see the doctor, initial signs point to a
> > bladder infection. Doctor prescribed Augmentin ($80,
> > ouch!), and we will wait on the culture results in a
> > couple of days.
>
> Gee, a doctor who actually saw your son and performed
> appropriate diagnostic testing came up with a different
> diagnosis than a stranger on the Internet. Who'd a
> thunk it?

Sorry. Didn't mean to be ungrateful for your helpful
suggestion, and if my tone was snippy, it was unintentional.
Just thought a simple explanation such as a UTI might be in
the *probably* camp, a urinary stricture would be in the
*perhaps* category, and then kidney disease would be out
there in *remote* land.

On 2004-04-13 22:24:11 -0400, [email protected] (BrianEWilliams) said:

> Sorry. Didn't mean to be ungrateful for your helpful
> suggestion, and if my tone was snippy, it was
> unintentional. Just thought a simple explanation such as a
> UTI might be in the *probably* camp, a urinary stricture
> would be in the *perhaps* category, and then kidney
> disease would be out there in *remote* land.

Urethral strictures/posterior urethral valves are *very*
common in boys your son's age; urinary tract infections,
while not unheard of, are not as common in boys as in girls.
It's also quite possible that he has *both*, as posterior
urethral valves can cause some urinary retention, leading to
a urinary tract infection. Time will tell.

On 13 Apr 2004 09:33:44 -0700, [email protected]
(BrianEWilliams) wrote:

>anon <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On 2004-04-11 09:28:57 -0400, [email protected]
>> (BrianEWilliams) said:
>>
>> > Trying to get some info before we see his doctor
>> > tomorrow. Any thoughts on what this could be? What are
>> > the possible tests our doctor might order? Thanks.
>>
>> Probably a urethral stricture, common in boys your son's
>> age, and easily fixable by a pediatric urologist. A
>> workup to rule out other causes (e.g., infection, tumors,
>> etc.) is, of course, in order. Your child's doctor will
>> provide details, I'm sure.
>
>Hmmm, probably seems like a strong word. Very strong and
>consistent urine flow seems to contraindicate a urethral
>stricture, but what do I know?
>
>Took him to see the doctor, initial signs point to a
>bladder infection. Doctor prescribed Augmentin ($80,
>ouch!), and we will wait on the culture results in a
>couple of days.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the culture is negative.
Urinary tract infection in a boy presenting as terminal
hematuria is highly unlikely. It's more likely to be a
lesion of the bladder neck or urethra. If the culture is
negative and the hematuria persists, he should have an
ultrasound next and perhaps see a urologist to consider
cystoscopy.

PF

On 2004-04-14 01:02:56 -0400, [email protected] (PF Riley) said:

> I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the culture is negative.
> Urinary tract infection in a boy presenting as terminal
> hematuria is highly unlikely. It's more likely to be a
> lesion of the bladder neck or urethra. If the culture is
> negative and the hematuria persists, he should have an
> ultrasound next and perhaps see a urologist to consider
> cystoscopy.

Sounds even stronger than my "probably." ;-) And I concur.