My avg. mph... is it any good?

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
Hi guys... I had a question:
If I am doing 20 mile rides and I consistently spin at 20 mph (from computer), is this fast? I've been road cycling for about 5 months. Any suggestions for getting faster? Thanks--

AmpedCycle said:
If I am doing 20 mile rides and I consistently spin at 20 mph (from computer), is this fast? I've been road cycling for about 5 months. Any suggestions for getting faster? Thanks--
Sounds pretty good but it really depends on what your route is like. Hills, wind, traffic all comes in to play.

AmpedCycle said:

Depends on your time, your route and your goals as well as the factors mentioned by LowCel. You're riding in a TT distance range where its kind of hard to judge an average speed. Some folks could average a lot higher on that distance. After 5 months I'd probably double that distance for starters, but again, its really what you want out of it. Sounds like you're doing good, so just use how you feel as a guide at the end of those rides. A couple times a week, if your aim is to improve, you should be getting yourself a bit winded, as well as going a distance where you find it a slight challenge to get a 20 mph average.