My base vs. my abs.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Grant Burke, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Grant Burke

    Grant Burke Guest

    Greetings all,

    I just started training for the next season. For the next two months or 1500km, whichever
    first, I'm trying to adhere to a strict, 70% max heart rate, low resistance program. My
    question is this, can I incorporate weights into this? If so, how? Light weight/high reps is
    what I presume is the correct course, but I'd like to get some feedback from all of you, and
    if possible some ideas for workouts that are bike-specific.

    Thanks in advance, Grant.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Grant
    Burke) wrote:

    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I just started training for the next season. For the next two months or 1500km, whichever
    > first, I'm trying to adhere to a strict, 70% max heart rate, low resistance program. My
    > question is this, can I incorporate weights into this? If so, how? Light weight/high reps
    > is what I presume is the correct course, but I'd like to get some feedback from all of
    > you, and if possible some ideas for workouts that are bike-specific.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Grant.

    Cyclist's Training Bible, by Joe Friel. This book covers all of this, in extreme detail. Worth
    picking up.

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Grant Burke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I just started training for the next season. For the next two months or 1500km, whichever first,
    > I'm trying to adhere to a strict, 70% max heart rate, low resistance program.

    Why? 70% of maximum heart rate is only about 60% of VO2max, which is a marginal intensity for
    eliciting any training adaptations at all, esp. in a fitter-than-average endurance athlete.

    > My question is this, can I incorporate weights into this?

    Why not? If your aerobic training is that easy, recovery will clearly not be a problem.

    > If so, how? Light weight/high reps is what I presume is the correct course, but I'd like to get
    > some feedback from all of you,

    My feedback would be to not waste your time attempting to do endurance training using weights, but
    instead use them what they are best for, which is increasing strength (not really needed on the
    bike) and muscle mass (possibly useful, depending on the individual/situation in question).

    > and if possible some ideas for workouts that are bike-specific.

    Specificity, specificity, specificity: if you want to do "bike specific" workouts, the best way to
    do them is on the bike itself. What better way to mimic the appropriate muscle actions/range of
    motion/speed of movement?

    Andy Coggan

  4. Rob Campbell

    Rob Campbell Guest

    70% does sound a little easy for base training. Last year I did all my long rides at 75% of max
    heart rate. Try that for 4 hours, it's hard. One day a week I also did a 1 - 2 hour ride at 80% of
    max heart rate. Worked for me.

    Rob

  5. Canuck

    Canuck Guest

    news:[email protected]t...

    > Specificity, specificity, specificity: if you want to do "bike specific" workouts, the best way to
    > do them is on the bike itself. What better way
    > mimic the appropriate muscle actions/range of motion/speed of movement?

    Lifting weights makes a bike racer faster than anything else.

    That's why Mr. Olympia types make the fastest bike racers, especially compared to those skinny
    girlymen in the Europeloton.

    happy new year,

    Arnold Schwarzenegger