My 'bent...

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Brian, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Well, I got together the two donor frames for my "No-Weld Recumbent". A his
    'n hers Raleigh Portage...but one of the frames doesn't have a fork and
    apparently I will need another fork to mount the pedal boom. Would using
    the forks off an old Gitane Apache do just as well, or would that be
    sacrilege?

    Tags:

  2. harv

    harv Guest

    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well, I got together the two donor frames for my "No-Weld Recumbent". A
    > his
    > 'n hers Raleigh Portage...but one of the frames doesn't have a fork and
    > apparently I will need another fork to mount the pedal boom. Would using
    > the forks off an old Gitane Apache do just as well, or would that be
    > sacrilege?

    You will probably need to change out the wheels and do some brkae stud
    welding. The Portage was equipped with etrto 584 (650b). I gave mine to my
    son to use as a beater/commuter. I had the wheels replaced a few years ago,
    but haven't been able to get tires that will stay on the rims...including a
    newish set of Hutchinsons I got from a bike shop in England.

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    > You will probably need to change out the wheels and do some brkae stud
    > welding. The Portage was equipped with etrto 584 (650b). I gave mine to my
    > son to use as a beater/commuter. I had the wheels replaced a few years

    ago,
    > but haven't been able to get tires that will stay on the rims...including

    > newish set of Hutchinsons I got from a bike shop in England.
    >
    > Yep, for sure I am using different wheels. (they're different sizes, so

    making up a new set of wheels is no big). I will prolly use the existing
    brake studs on the seatstays for the rear wheel, but I either have to have
    the studs on the front end moved or go with a smaller fork for the smaller
    front wheel.

    Do I want two sets of brakes? One on each wheel? Both on the rear wheel?
    I will probably purchase the "no-weld recumbent" CD sometime soon just to
    fill in the spots I'm not sure about...in the meantime, I know y'all will be
    here for me.

  4. harv

    harv Guest

    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> You will probably need to change out the wheels and do some brkae stud
    >> welding. The Portage was equipped with etrto 584 (650b). I gave mine to
    >> my
    >> son to use as a beater/commuter. I had the wheels replaced a few years

    > ago,
    >> but haven't been able to get tires that will stay on the rims...including

    >> newish set of Hutchinsons I got from a bike shop in England.
    >>
    >> Yep, for sure I am using different wheels. (they're different sizes, so

    > making up a new set of wheels is no big). I will prolly use the existing
    > brake studs on the seatstays for the rear wheel, but I either have to have
    > the studs on the front end moved or go with a smaller fork for the smaller
    > front wheel.
    >
    > Do I want two sets of brakes? One on each wheel? Both on the rear wheel?
    > I will probably purchase the "no-weld recumbent" CD sometime soon just to
    > fill in the spots I'm not sure about...in the meantime, I know y'all will
    > be
    > here for me.

    The point I tried to make about the rear brakes is that the studs are set
    for a 584mm wheel, not a 559. I don' think you'll be able to lower the
    blocks of your canti's enough to hit the rim. You might be able to mount a
    caliper brake on the seat stay bridge and use a 700c road wheel.

  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks for the clarification...I actually have a set of long-reach Dia-Compe
    centerpull calipers (came with the male frame portage as its canti posts
    BROKE OFF - sheesh - )and I also have some long armature V-brakes that I
    might be able to make do...can't use 'em both in the same place, of
    course...and I've never tried to fit either type to a short front fork.
    We'll see...I may end up with the V-brakes on the rear and the centerpull on
    the front, if it will reach...

    BTW, any suggestions concerning steering? keep it simple, please...

  6. harv

    harv Guest

    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for the clarification...I actually have a set of long-reach
    > Dia-Compe
    > centerpull calipers (came with the male frame portage as its canti posts
    > BROKE OFF - sheesh - )and I also have some long armature V-brakes that I
    > might be able to make do...can't use 'em both in the same place, of
    > course...and I've never tried to fit either type to a short front fork.
    > We'll see...I may end up with the V-brakes on the rear and the centerpull
    > on
    > the front, if it will reach...
    >
    > BTW, any suggestions concerning steering? keep it simple, please...

    Sorry, no advice. I'm not a builder, just a former owner of a Portage.

    www.bentrideronline.com and www.recumbents.com both have homebuilder fora
    where additional help may be available.