My Big Fat Studded Ice Tires

Max

Guest
Riding on ice is Not. Fun. At. All.

At least, the falling over part isn't, and those spiffy Kenda inverted
tread 1.9" tires that let me blast down the river trail like a fat,
bearded anime hero, well, they don't work on ice.

Last year i made some sheet metal screw studded tires, but... well, they
sucked, and they flatted-out a _lot_.

This year is going to be Different! I went to my LBS and shelled out
waaaay too much $$$ for those wacky Finnish Nokian Extreme 294 tires.

<http://www.suomityres.fi/bike/images/extreme294.jpg>
<http://www.suomityres.fi/bike/winterspecs/index.htm>

They're supposed to be here friday.

..max
looking forward to running down those effete speed skaters on our
reflecting pond later this year... stupid sexy spandex unitards...

--
the part of <[email protected]>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

"Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Riding on ice is Not. Fun. At. All.
>
> At least, the falling over part isn't, and those spiffy Kenda inverted
> tread 1.9" tires that let me blast down the river trail like a fat,
> bearded anime hero, well, they don't work on ice.
>
> Last year i made some sheet metal screw studded tires, but... well, they
> sucked, and they flatted-out a _lot_.
>
> This year is going to be Different! I went to my LBS and shelled out
> waaaay too much $$$ for those wacky Finnish Nokian Extreme 294 tires.
>
> <http://www.suomityres.fi/bike/images/extreme294.jpg>
> <http://www.suomityres.fi/bike/winterspecs/index.htm>
>
> They're supposed to be here friday.
>
> .max
> looking forward to running down those effete speed skaters on our
> reflecting pond later this year... stupid sexy spandex unitards...

A few of caveats -- beware of crumbly ice, beware of too much lean, beware
of thin snow cover on ice (it'll float the studs & leave you with 0
traction).

I've had them for 6-7 years, both on road & MTB, they're a blast, but they
have their limitations.