My bike is poorly.

whuppingboy

Feb 22, 2010
The other day i was riding my lovely bike, the next thing there was an almighty clank and then i was eating concrete. Luckily i was unscathed but my bike was not. The derailleur had snapped off the hanger and become lodged in my wheel snapping two spokes and wrecking the derailleur. The wheel will need trueing and the chain replacing as it was twisted. GUTTED!.
Apparently what i can make out was that the hanger was already bent and as i went through the gears the hanger got closer than it should of to my rear wheel spokes, when i shifted to the biggest gear wheel it hit the spokes and snapped off.
Is this a common occurance?
The damage to the hanger possibly occurred 2 weeks earlier in a minor tumble on the way to work. However i used the bike everyday and didn't come ascross any issues with the gears UNTIL i changed my route for a more challenging journey. In doing so i used the gears i wouldn't normally on the flat and this is what happened..
Again GUTTED and £100.00 down for the pleasure..
Hey ho.

Ouch!! For a newbie like me, I will use this as a warning to thoroughly check my gear on a regular basis. Thanks for the learning tip even if your post was not meant for that.

Hazy

I'm sorry to hear about your bike, WB....but glad to hear you weren't hurt.

Yep, we all need to remember to give our bikes a thorough inspection....especially after we've taken a tumble, even a minor tumble.

Originally Posted by whuppingboy .

The other day i was riding my lovely bike, the next thing there was an almighty clank and then i was eating concrete. Luckily i was unscathed but my bike was not. The derailleur had snapped off the hanger and become lodged in my wheel snapping two spokes and wrecking the derailleur. The wheel will need trueing and the chain replacing as it was twisted. GUTTED!.
Apparently what i can make out was that [COLOR= #ff0000]the hanger was already bent[/COLOR] and as i went through the gears the hanger got closer than it should of to my rear wheel spokes, when i shifted to the biggest gear wheel it hit the spokes and snapped off.
Sorry to hear about your bike's accident ...
FYI. The derailleur hanger on a steel frame can be aligned ... Replaceable derailleur hangers on alloy & carbon fibre frames are meant to be sacrificial -- the option would be to find a frame builder who would replace the dropout for a considerable sum OR to trash the frame ... As others have mentioned, whenever the bike suffers an unauthorized impact then an inspection is in order.

Apparently what i can make out was that [COLOR= #ff0000]the hanger was already bent[/COLOR] and as i went through the gears the hanger got closer than it should of to my rear wheel spokes, when i shifted to the biggest gear wheel it hit the spokes and snapped off.
Sorry to hear about your bike's accident ...
FYI. The derailleur hanger on a steel frame can be aligned ... Replaceable derailleur hangers on alloy & carbon fibre frames are meant to be sacrificial -- the option would be to find a frame builder who would replace the dropout for a considerable sum OR to trash the frame ... As others have mentioned, whenever the bike suffers an unauthorized impact then an inspection is in order.

Great care must be given to the derailleur when loading and unloading, or laying the bike down. I never lay the bike on the derailleur side. Even bending it a little can cause shifting issues and of course worse issues as you know can result.

Originally Posted by Phil85207 .

Great care must be given to the derailleur when loading and unloading, or laying the bike down. I never lay the bike on the derailleur side. Even bending it a little can cause shifting issues and of course worse issues as you know can result.

+1. Good advice.

Im a bit ocd about the bike and where and how i lay it down or prop it up when not riding. But it never occurred to me that the derailleur hanger could be bent in from the accident! Oh well you live and learn and my local bike shop was fantastic. They offer me good advice about anything every time i ask. Thanks for the replies....
WHUPP

Im a bit ocd about the bike and where and how i lay it down or prop it up when not riding. But it never occurred to me that the derailleur hanger could be bent in from the accident! Oh well you live and learn and my local bike shop was fantastic. They offer me good advice about anything every time i ask. Thanks for the replies....
WHUPP

At least you're alive and healthy. A friend of mine broke his neck after falling off his bike when the chain snapped. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif