My Bike Sucks....

I would say that you should stay simple and you should stay cheap if you're first starting off. Honestly, I have a Walmart bike that I still use regularly. That's a cheap, relatively reliable option if you wanted that.

Well I got my bike and am very happy with it, I've rode 80 miles in the first week. lol I'm glad I didn't get a rode bike, around 30% of my riding is on dirt and I'm not comfortable having 100's of cars flying by me while I ride.

AndersonG17 said:
Thanks for the response and you're right, I should spend more but I'd rather not spend much since I don't know what I want yet...
I actually agree with Bob Cochran. You did say you enjoy cycling and want to stick to it, the problem is if you are becoming an avid cyclist a $400 bike will frustrate you in short order and then you'll want a better bike but wasted $400 on a bike you don't like. I suggest taking the old bike to an LBS and see if they can fix it, ride it more and save more money up, you can get pretty nice bikes for around $800 to $1,200.

A mountain bike is for someone who does mostly off road riding which you don't, a hybrid is for someone who does some off road and some on road, a road bike is for someone who does all road riding. You have to decide which you want to do. If you plan to continue doing the 30% off road and the rest on road then get a hybrid unless you like road bars instead of flat bars then get a cross bike. Either way I would save more money.

Of course this is just my opinion,

I agree with others, find what fits best for you since it will make your experience overall more enjoyable, but make sure you cap your budget/be realistic. Just try out a bunch of stuff and see what sticks. Also, if you are really committed, spend a little more and get what you want. Otherwise, I would not buy something middle of the road, go cheap because in a year you might realize that something simple was all you needed.