my bikes chain broke help

Suleman Yasin

Guest
I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me today and I went and
bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now I think the chain is too long so my
neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to remove the pins without buyin
that chain tool?

"Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me
today
> and I went and bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now
> think the chain is too long so my neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to
> remove the pins without buyin that chain tool?

You could use a hammer and a nail punch, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Dashii

"Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me today and I went and
> bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now I think the chain is too long so my
> neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to remove the pins without buyin
> that chain tool?

Borrow one?

--
Dave...

take it to a bike shop?

"Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me
today
> and I went and bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now
> think the chain is too long so my neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to
> remove the pins without buyin that chain tool?

"Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me today and I went and
> bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now I think the chain is too long so my
> neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to remove the pins without buyin
> that chain tool?

www.sheldonbrown.com has many informative articles on riding, repairing, and adjusting bicycles.
And a pointer to the faq, which describes how to determine correct chain length.

You may want to read articles about chain lubrication and cleaning, and even learn about
adjusting things so your bike is safe and reliable.

The bike store which sold you the chain would probably remove a few links if it's too long. Chain
tools aren't incredibly expensive - under $10.

hth

A chian toll will set you back less than a ten spot. The salesman will even show you how to use it
and how to correctly measure your chain to the right length.

Ther is no way to "break" a chain without a chain tool. BUT, after you have it the right length, you
can invest in a "quick release" chain link (I strongly recommend the Craig "Super Link 3"
http://www.theramp.net/craig/ ) that will let you remove and reinstall it with out any tools.