my bikes chain broke help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Suleman Yasin, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me today and I went and
    bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now I think the chain is too long so my
    neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to remove the pins without buyin
    that chain tool?

    Tags:

  2. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me
    today
    > and I went and bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now
    > think the chain is too long so my neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to
    > remove the pins without buyin that chain tool?

    You could use a hammer and a nail punch, but I wouldn't recommend it!

    Dashii

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me today and I went and
    > bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now I think the chain is too long so my
    > neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to remove the pins without buyin
    > that chain tool?

    Borrow one?

    --
    Dave...

  4. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    take it to a bike shop?

    "Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me
    today
    > and I went and bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now
    > think the chain is too long so my neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to
    > remove the pins without buyin that chain tool?

  5. "Suleman Yasin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am a newbie and I guess my chain was all rusted and it snapped on me today and I went and
    > bought a chain a 1/2" X 3/8" or something like that and now I think the chain is too long so my
    > neighbour said i need a chain tool but isnt there another way to remove the pins without buyin
    > that chain tool?

    www.sheldonbrown.com has many informative articles on riding, repairing, and adjusting bicycles.
    And a pointer to the faq, which describes how to determine correct chain length.

    You may want to read articles about chain lubrication and cleaning, and even learn about
    adjusting things so your bike is safe and reliable.

    The bike store which sold you the chain would probably remove a few links if it's too long. Chain
    tools aren't incredibly expensive - under $10.

    hth

  6. A chian toll will set you back less than a ten spot. The salesman will even show you how to use it
    and how to correctly measure your chain to the right length.

    Ther is no way to "break" a chain without a chain tool. BUT, after you have it the right length, you
    can invest in a "quick release" chain link (I strongly recommend the Craig "Super Link 3"
    http://www.theramp.net/craig/ ) that will let you remove and reinstall it with out any tools.