My Burley Canto & Questions



Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derek Swift

Guest
I searched the archives for my answers but couldn't find it.

I am buying a Burley Canto. My LBS is supposed to receive it in 1.5 to 2 weeks. The drivetrain is
going to be changed. I am a fan of SRAM
9. so it will be that. I am also having it converted to 9 speed. Very excited. It should be much
better than my BikeE CT.

My questions are:

What do you Burley riders use for a seat bag? I have a Radical BikeE bage but I do not think it will
work. Also, is there a mid-ship rack available?

Derek
 
D

Dom

Guest
I've had my Canto for a year and love it. I started with the LWB but then switched to a SWB and
don't forsee going back (the brake cable routing is pretty stratight forward once you know how it
goes. I think I posted something about it in this NG). I think the upgrade to the
9. is a good idea and one I will consider as a future investment. As for a seat pack I also use a
***** pack wrapped around the seat bars. It holds eveything I need for most of my riding and if I
need more then I add a backpack.

I would highly recommed getting the speed struts. It makes a big difference in the ride and feel.
The Primos on the front seem to last but the rear one received a lot of small cuts. I changed it to
a Specialized Fat Boy smoothy and like it. I also added the ATB Freddy fenders from Planet Bike. Had
to modify the front and rear them to fit in the SWB config (this is pre there latest recumbent
version). I also replaced the seat for an Evolution one and like it a lot. Extended the wires on my
Echo Well computer to fit the LWB (I like it casue it has current and avg cadance). Thinking about
upgrading to a Vett 100 which has wireless cadance (Performance has this version available).I was
able to get my LBS to give me a flag from one of the trailers they sell which I mounted to the braze
on on the seat stay. I had to cut the flag from the holder and then do a little bend to mke it work.
But the flag goes in/out easily. I route the flag down behind the upper seat bar and used a strip of
velcro as add fastner around the the bar. Work fine. The only other draw back I see is the weight.
At 34+ lbs out of the box it is a heavy bike.

Waiting for the snow to melt here so I can get back on the road. In the meantime been doing some
great cross country skiing.

Well more information than you asked for as you can tell, the passion is there. Enjoy.

[email protected] (Derek Swift) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]> I searched the archives for my answers but couldn't find it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I am buying a Burley Canto. My LBS is supposed to receive it in 1.5 to 2 weeks. The drivetrain is[/q1]
[q1]> going to be changed. I am a fan of SRAM[/q1]
[q1]> 9. so it will be that. I am also having it converted to 9 speed. Very excited. It should be much[/q1]
[q1]> better than my BikeE CT.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My questions are:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What do you Burley riders use for a seat bag? I have a Radical BikeE bage but I do not think it[/q1]
[q1]> will work. Also, is there a mid-ship rack available?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Derek[/q1]
 
P

Paul Jordan

Guest
You'll love the Canto. I've had a Taiko for just about a year now and have almost 2500 miles on.
I've used a ***** pack looped through the bar the runs across the back of the seat. It works really
well. Burley also makes a nice rack and mounting kit for their recumbents, but with a pack and some
gear it gets pretty heavy.

Good Luck with the new bike.

Paul Jordan "Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I searched the archives for my answers but couldn't find it.
>
> I am buying a Burley Canto. My LBS is supposed to receive it in 1.5 to 2 weeks. The drivetrain is
> going to be changed. I am a fan of SRAM
> 9. so it will be that. I am also having it converted to 9 speed. Very excited. It should be much
> better than my BikeE CT.
>
> My questions are:
>
> What do you Burley riders use for a seat bag? I have a Radical BikeE bage but I do not think it
> will work. Also, is there a mid-ship rack available?
>
> Derek
 
M

Mike Vore

Guest
> I am buying a Burley Canto. My LBS is supposed to receive it in 1.5 to 2 weeks. The drivetrain is
> going to be changed. I am a fan of SRAM 9.0 so it will be that. I am also having it converted to 9
> speed. Very excited. It should be much better than my BikeE CT.

Anything is better than the stock SRAM (5.?) I've had two Limbos and the rear derailer on both of
them broke - the plastic 'back' side of the cage. I upgraded to the next grade. The 9 may be better,
but one LBS said to go to a high end of an LXT - but that would mean changing the twist shift to a
SRAM Rocket?

> What do you Burley riders use for a seat bag? I have a Radical BikeE bage but I do not think it
> will work. Also, is there a mid-ship rack available?

For a seat bag I've found that one of the day-packs that Sunny Surplus carries fits the bill. The
one I found has an extra set to straps that control the 'belly' of the bag - these have buckles that
wrap around the seat post and over the horizontal bar. This keeps the bag up, and control the
sidw-sway.

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
<-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog
 
P

Paul Jordan

Guest
You'll love the Canto. I've had a Taiko for just about a year now and have almost 2500 miles on.
I've used a ***** pack looped through the bar the runs across the back of the seat. It works really
well. Burley also makes a nice rack and mounting kit for their recumbents, but with a pack and some
gear it gets pretty heavy.

Good Luck with the new bike.

Paul Jordan "Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I searched the archives for my answers but couldn't find it.
>
> I am buying a Burley Canto. My LBS is supposed to receive it in 1.5 to 2 weeks. The drivetrain is
> going to be changed. I am a fan of SRAM
> 9. so it will be that. I am also having it converted to 9 speed. Very excited. It should be much
> better than my BikeE CT.
>
> My questions are:
>
> What do you Burley riders use for a seat bag? I have a Radical BikeE bage but I do not think it
> will work. Also, is there a mid-ship rack available?
>
> Derek
 
M

Mike Vore

Guest
> I am buying a Burley Canto. My LBS is supposed to receive it in 1.5 to 2 weeks. The drivetrain is
> going to be changed. I am a fan of SRAM 9.0 so it will be that. I am also having it converted to 9
> speed. Very excited. It should be much better than my BikeE CT.

Anything is better than the stock SRAM (5.?) I've had two Limbos and the rear derailer on both of
them broke - the plastic 'back' side of the cage. I upgraded to the next grade. The 9 may be better,
but one LBS said to go to a high end of an LXT - but that would mean changing the twist shift to a
SRAM Rocket?

> What do you Burley riders use for a seat bag? I have a Radical BikeE bage but I do not think it
> will work. Also, is there a mid-ship rack available?

For a seat bag I've found that one of the day-packs that Sunny Surplus carries fits the bill. The
one I found has an extra set to straps that control the 'belly' of the bag - these have buckles that
wrap around the seat post and over the horizontal bar. This keeps the bag up, and control the
sidw-sway.

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
<-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog
 
D

Derek Swift

Guest
> Burley also makes a nice rack and mounting kit for their recumbents, but with a pack and some gear
> it gets pretty heavy.

I did order this option. I tour with panniers so it was a requirement for me. I just thought a bag
like the Lone Peak bag that slips over the top of the bike would be nice too. Now, I may just buy a
rack trunk.

Derek
 
D

Derek Swift

Guest
> Anything is better than the stock SRAM (5.?) I've had two Limbos and the rear derailer on both of
> them broke - the plastic 'back' side of the cage. I upgraded to the next grade. The 9 may be
> better, but one LBS said to go to a high end of an LXT - but that would mean changing the twist
> shift to a SRAM Rocket?

The 2003 Burleys use the Grip Shift MRX which is worse than the SRAM
5.. SRAM 9.0 is great stuff for me. My BikeE has been changed to use these components with
no problem.

Derek
 
D

Derek Swift

Guest
> Burley also makes a nice rack and mounting kit for their recumbents, but with a pack and some gear
> it gets pretty heavy.

I did order this option. I tour with panniers so it was a requirement for me. I just thought a bag
like the Lone Peak bag that slips over the top of the bike would be nice too. Now, I may just buy a
rack trunk.

Derek
 
D

Derek Swift

Guest
> Anything is better than the stock SRAM (5.?) I've had two Limbos and the rear derailer on both of
> them broke - the plastic 'back' side of the cage. I upgraded to the next grade. The 9 may be
> better, but one LBS said to go to a high end of an LXT - but that would mean changing the twist
> shift to a SRAM Rocket?

The 2003 Burleys use the Grip Shift MRX which is worse than the SRAM
5.. SRAM 9.0 is great stuff for me. My BikeE has been changed to use these components with
no problem.

Derek
 
K

Kent W. England

Guest
My LBSes couldn't find me a seat bag that worked, so I also took a ***** pack and looped it around
the seat bar. Just make sure it's up high enough that when you hit the bumps and your seat bends
back&down, the bag doesn't scrape the tires.

--
Kent W. England

"Paul Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You'll love the Canto. I've had a Taiko for just about a year now and have almost 2500 miles on.
> I've used a ***** pack looped through the bar the runs across the back of the seat. It works
> really well. Burley also makes a nice rack and mounting kit for their recumbents, but with a pack
> and some gear it gets pretty heavy.
 
K

Kent W. England

Guest
My LBSes couldn't find me a seat bag that worked, so I also took a ***** pack and looped it around
the seat bar. Just make sure it's up high enough that when you hit the bumps and your seat bends
back&down, the bag doesn't scrape the tires.

--
Kent W. England

"Paul Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You'll love the Canto. I've had a Taiko for just about a year now and have almost 2500 miles on.
> I've used a ***** pack looped through the bar the runs across the back of the seat. It works
> really well. Burley also makes a nice rack and mounting kit for their recumbents, but with a pack
> and some gear it gets pretty heavy.
 
B

Bentbiker

Guest
I used a Lightning seat bag from Atlantic bike shop, it worked well, nice room in it, and cleared
the rear tire easily, even with the set quite far back.
 
B

Bentbiker

Guest
I used a Lightning seat bag from Atlantic bike shop, it worked well, nice room in it, and cleared
the rear tire easily, even with the set quite far back.
 
D

Derek Swift

Guest
Would that be the one made by "Lone Peak"?

Derek

In article <[email protected]>,
bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote:

> I used a Lightning seat bag from Atlantic bike shop, it worked well, nice room in it, and cleared
> the rear tire easily, even with the set quite far back.
 
R

Robert Siegel

Guest
Also, my lightning seat bag fits the TiRush Koolback seat close to perfectly.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I used a Lightning seat bag from Atlantic bike shop, it worked well, nice room in it, and cleared
> the rear tire easily, even with the set quite far back.
 
D

Derek Swift

Guest
Would that be the one made by "Lone Peak"?

Derek

In article <[email protected]>,
bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote:

> I used a Lightning seat bag from Atlantic bike shop, it worked well, nice room in it, and cleared
> the rear tire easily, even with the set quite far back.
 
R

Robert Siegel

Guest
Also, my lightning seat bag fits the TiRush Koolback seat close to perfectly.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I used a Lightning seat bag from Atlantic bike shop, it worked well, nice room in it, and cleared
> the rear tire easily, even with the set quite far back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.