my butt hurts.....help!

pedalpushin

Feb 12, 2006
I just started riding to have fun and lose weight. I was encouraged by some friends at a local bike shop...."biking is a great way to drop weight and meet people" they said.....so i went out and bought my Del Sol LXI 6.2 comfort bike (that I love), well the weight loss part may be true, but due to bad weather, i have had to buy an idoor trainer, and i'm riding inside, so no people meeting as of yet....problem is, i'm not yet used to my bike seat and it is killing my sitting bones....i don't want to miss a ride because of a sore butt....any suggestions on how i can make my indoor riding easier on my butt?:eek:

pedalpushin said:
..problem is, i'm not yet used to my bike seat and it is killing my sitting bones....i don't want to miss a ride because of a sore butt....any suggestions on how i can make my indoor riding easier on my butt?:eek:

Is the seat height right?

Also, riding inside you tend not to shift around much. (There isn't much reason to.) Make a point to change your angles and how much you're leaning on your arms vs. your butt vs. your legs. Sometimes you can shift back a little and change angles a lot.

Geonz said:
Is the seat height right?

Also, riding inside you tend not to shift around much. (There isn't much reason to.) Make a point to change your angles and how much you're leaning on your arms vs. your butt vs. your legs. Sometimes you can shift back a little and change angles a lot.
thanks for your reply...the seat is at a perfect height, we worked really hard at the shop to make sure everything fit me well....i do feel however that my seat may be tilted forward just a tad.....i may make that adjustment and see what happens...i have been trying to keep all of my weight evenly distributed between my arms legs and butt.....and have been shifting a lil......the seat adjustment may be just the thing to do...thanks:D

Do you wear Bike Shorts? If not, go out and buy some good quality ones...

There are also lots of other things you can do, but shorts are a good start...

It takes time to harden a Butt up too!!

pedalpushin said:
I just started riding to have fun and lose weight. I was encouraged by some friends at a local bike shop...."biking is a great way to drop weight and meet people" they said.....so i went out and bought my Del Sol LXI 6.2 comfort bike (that I love), well the weight loss part may be true, but due to bad weather, i have had to buy an idoor trainer, and i'm riding inside, so no people meeting as of yet....problem is, i'm not yet used to my bike seat and it is killing my sitting bones....i don't want to miss a ride because of a sore butt....any suggestions on how i can make my indoor riding easier on my butt?:eek:

Well, if you just started riding, your body is not accustomed to riding, like you said. I know that when I took a few weeks off from riding and got back on, my back side was hurting after the first ride. Just adapting.

Just give it some time. If it doesn't better itself soon then something is not fitted properly.

TrekDedicated said:
Well, if you just started riding, your body is not accustomed to riding, like you said. I know that when I took a few weeks off from riding and got back on, my back side was hurting after the first ride. Just adapting.

Just give it some time. If it doesn't better itself soon then something is not fitted properly.

but in the meantime while my backside is toughening up is there anything i can do to make it more comfy......or should i take days off?.....it sems to me that days off may make it worse....thanks for the reply!:)

The more you ride the stronger your legs get which helps take the weight off the saddle. So time off for a strong rider won't hurt as much as time off for some one just starting out. When I started out on a MTB the butt pain almost made me buy another saddle but that went away after a couple of weeks of steady riding and I have never had pain as severe since then when hitting the road after the snow melts. I noticed you said you ride a comfort bike you might want to try a road bike I think position on a road bike might get some of the weight off your back and saddle and still be fairly comfortable on your neck as long as you don't get an undersized competition type fit.

pedalpushin said:
but in the meantime while my backside is toughening up is there anything i can do to make it more comfy......or should i take days off?.....it sems to me that days off may make it worse....thanks for the reply!:)

You can buy a Gel Seat, my mate's mum's bike has one of those and they are really nice to sit on!
biggrin.gif

wiredued said:
The more you ride the stronger your legs get which helps take the weight off the saddle. So time off for a strong rider won't hurt as much as time off for some one just starting out. When I started out on a MTB the butt pain almost made me buy another saddle but that went away after a couple of weeks of steady riding and I have never had pain as severe since then when hitting the road after the snow melts. I noticed you said you ride a comfort bike you might want to try a road bike I think position on a road bike might get some of the weight off your back and saddle and still be fairly comfortable on your neck as long as you don't get an undersized competition type fit.
thanks...the reason for the comfort bike was to be able to ride on the road and some light off road...like bike paths and such....mainly just for fun and to get fit....a road bike is not really what my lifestle needs...maybe one day when i get stronger and more into biking, which i can see happening...its addictive!!!!!

Tripped said:
You can buy a Gel Seat, my mate's mum's bike has one of those and they are really nice to sit on!
biggrin.gif
hmmmm thats sounds like a good idea...i was thinking of a hemeroid doughnut...hahaha kidding.....but it sorta made sense!...i just need to get a tougher butt!

you haven't answered the question that's been asked a few times now ... do you wear bike shorts?

Mike10 said:
you haven't answered the question that's been asked a few times now ... do you wear bike shorts?

sorry, no i dont....i cant afford a good pair right now.....plus with being overweight i feel uncomfortable.........i dont understand (being new to this) the benefits of wearing them......i mean are they THAT padded?....no sarcasm intended at all.....i just really want to know...

pedalpushin said:
sorry, no i dont....i cant afford a good pair right now.....plus with being overweight i feel uncomfortable.........i dont understand (being new to this) the benefits of wearing them......i mean are they THAT padded?....no sarcasm intended at all.....i just really want to know...
That's your problem. They're very padded, just look at a pair and see how padded they are. You can get padded shorts that aren't lycra, look like normal shorts, and keep your butt from getting hurt.

You can also get padded undergarmets that you can wear that will help. These are available from bike shops.

pedalpushin said:
lol. yep. there's a reason every single cyclist (pretty much) wears them. you absolutely need to get a pair. either a pair of lycra shorts and you can wear some of your normal shorts over. or a pair that is both inner and outer shorts.

if your butt is sore then there is absolutely no question that you need to do this. seriously. for a cheap pair just go to performancebike.com and snag a simple pair.

oh....and you do NOT wear underwear under them. let them do the job they were designed to do.

pedalpushin said:
I, too, am considerably overweight and did not want to be seen in public in lycra. My first pair of cycling shorts were the baggy type. They are padded, but not nearly as well as the Performance gel shorts. This winter, I broke down and bought a pair of of gel shorts to use indoors on the trainer and discovered two things - 1) they are much more comfortable than the baggy shorts I was wearing, and 2) I do not look any worse in those than I did in the baggy shorts. Mind you, I do not look any better, but I do not look any worse. The good news is that I have lost 27 pounds since December, and I will wear the lycra gel shorts outside when spring comes.

The other things I noticed is that I can ride twice as long on the road before my butt gets too sore than I can on a trainer, and I can ride on the trainer twice as long now than I could in December.

You want more comfort? Ride more, ride faster as it takes weight off your ****, buy some bike tights & get a road bike with a more aggressive geometry as comfort bikes aren't comfy if you want to ride hard and long! another reason you should by a road bike is because of the different positions and you can distibute more weight on your arms.

A sore **** is just normal for a newby cyclist so dont worry about it...take my advice coz i am right! :p

General cleanliness is also important. I don't shower after every commute, but I still tend to wash up. Sometimes hemmorhoids can result simply from a lack of cleanliness.