my butt hurts! (need seat advice)

Margaret

Mar 19, 2004
I could use everyone's advice on a saddle problem. I have a fairly new Novara Randonee with a Selle Royal Lookin Gel touring seat (unisex). After going on a twenty-mile ride this weekend, my sit bones are totally bruised and sore. I am pretty new to longer rides, although I've had this same problem in the past when I've gone on longer rides on vacation and so on, but since that was always on rented bikes, I didn't think much of it. Now that I have my own bike that is not just for quick rides around town and errands, etc. (and am starting to train for a week-long ride in Canada this summer and a cross-country trip next spring), I really want to get this saddle thing right.

I've done some research on the various posts on this forum and in other places, and looked at the Terry site and Hamoc site. I've never really experienced the major "girl parts" problems that other women seem to have (just some mild soreness that goes away quickly), and most of the posts and advice seem to deal with that. Does anyone else have this sit-bones problem? Any recommendations on which saddle fixed it for you? If it helps, I'm 5'6", @145 lbs., with relatively wider hips/pelvis, and most (if not all!) of my weight unfortunately around the butt and thigh.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

Saddles...oh jebus but they can ruin your entire day. My otherwise sweet mechanic moved mine during a tune up and 2 weeks later, I've finally got it back into the right place, so I sympathize.

Okay, what exactly is the problem with yours....Where is the support hitting your sit bones? Is the seat too wide? Too narrow? Is it too soft...gel seats can cause more hassle than they cure if they're compressing soft tissues.

Unfortunately, your hip measurement isn't going to tell you much about the sit bone measurements and body weight isn't going to be much of a factor in it.

Once you've figured out **what** the nature of the problem (too narrow, nose too long, etc etc) then you can take your old seat into the local bike shop and telling the staff what you need. They should be willing to let you try a few models.

Get a big fat seat and it should solve your problem but don't take it on a long ride cos you will feel fatique.

Most (all?) of my lady Tri bike friends use the Selle Italia Lady seat, I find it ok for a half hour at a time, but I prefer one with a "slot". Unisex seats may be ok for transvestites or those with gender confusion.

cheers
Mr G

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate
Saddles...oh jebus but they can ruin your entire day. My otherwise sweet mechanic moved mine during a tune up and 2 weeks later, I've finally got it back into the right place, so I sympathize.

Okay, what exactly is the problem with yours....Where is the support hitting your sit bones? Is the seat too wide? Too narrow? Is it too soft...gel seats can cause more hassle than they cure if they're compressing soft tissues.

Unfortunately, your hip measurement isn't going to tell you much about the sit bone measurements and body weight isn't going to be much of a factor in it.

Once you've figured out **what** the nature of the problem (too narrow, nose too long, etc etc) then you can take your old seat into the local bike shop and telling the staff what you need. They should be willing to let you try a few models.

Thanks, Kate -- the problem is that I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I mean, I know what the end result is -- specific little bruises (not visible on the skin, internal) under each sit bone in my butt (a little worse on the right side), that hurt when I sit down for a couple of days after a long ride and really hurt if I get back on the bike within a day or two. So I'm guessing that the problem is that the back of the seat is too narrow or not cushioned enough or something. But I just don't know what aspect of the seat causes this problem, so I thought that if others had a similar problem and had solved it in a certain way, that might be a good beginning for me.

I am gonna monitor this subject. I just bought a Royal Sel by Lookin. It is more narrow than the Comus Gel I just got rid of. I am hoping this narrow seat will solve some of my soreness problems.
I wanted to try the Italia Lady seat but it was just too pricey for me. The idea of the cut-out sounds good but I also have the sits bone soreness problem too. After a 6 day, 500 kilometer ride down the Mosel and Sarr Rivers 2 weeks ago, I want to have a seat that is going to be comfortable. I am going on a 400 kilometer ride through Holland this next week.

I suspect, but obviously can't tell via computer, that the seat is too narrow and that your sit bones are not being properly supported.

Have you given any try on adjusting seat height, how far forward, level etc. I just re-adjusted mine last week and it got rid of a bit of discomfort. The nose of the seat had started tipping down and it was bugging me.

I'll throw in my 2cents. I have a simple Cannondale R400 and recently switched to a terry fly ti (mens). I rode a little over 100 miles in that seat and hated it. My right sit bone developed a nice bruse. The stock selle whatever seat, called viper, was much better for my sit bones. I have a theory that the stock seat felt better becasue it was more narrow and fit my slim sit bones better.
To test this I've put the more narrow seat back on tonight and I'm letting a buddy at work use the terry ti as he has a much wider bum than I!! I'll get to ride at least 70 miles over the weekend and I'll make a judgement then.
Does that make sense that sit bone bruise can come from too wide of a seat?

Cheers,

Perth (Aust) readers, there is a Selle Italia Lady Seat for sale on TRIWA forum this afternoon.

cheers
g

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate
I suspect, but obviously can't tell via computer, that the seat is too narrow and that your sit bones are not being properly supported.

Have you given any try on adjusting seat height, how far forward, level etc. I just re-adjusted mine last week and it got rid of a bit of discomfort. The nose of the seat had started tipping down and it was bugging me.

Thanks, Kate -- yes, I've played around a little, but I'll admit that I'm so grateful not to have the girl-parts problems that I'm a little nervous about doing something (e.g. nose adjustment) that fixes the butt problem but just shifts it to someplace even more delicate! I've been reading a lot about Brooks saddles on the phred touring list, and it seems like that might be the answer for me (they seem to have fixed a lot of sore butts -- although I think women with problems in the "front" area seem not to like them).

If I do get the Brooks, I'll report back on how I like it --

I have readjusted the height of my seat (from the arch of where my foot hits the pedal, the leg should be straight).
This new RoyalGel by Lookin will be tested on a 400+ Kilometer ride this week as I tour through Holland and into Belgium.
I will write my results at my return.

You may want to go back to your bike shop and ask them to help you get fit properly to your bike. If they won't help you find another bike shop. My shop will often let customers they are familiar with try out a new saddle for a few days to see if it is adequate for their needs (not just for a ride around the parking lot). Maybe you are too upright, to far forward, etc..

You may also want to try lowering your seat a touch - most people have very minor leg length discrepancies, and these can often cause minor issues when the shorter leg is trying to accomodate for a longer leg's reach. This may be why you find yourself with more tenderness on the right. Have someone ride behind you and see if your hips really rock as you pedal, or if you seem to be reaching more on the right than the left.

Another option would be to get a suspension seat post - it would add a little extra weight, but not much.

I recently got a new Terry Butterfly saddle as a nice little "extra" while purchasing a new mountain bike, and I am amazed at the level of comfort. Previously I had had the stock Specialized women's specific saddle, which I was actually pretty happy with. The Butterfly is now on my road bike, and I will probably buy another Butterfly next year though (they are pretty pricey) to put back on the mountain bike. However, I do know two women who bought one and didn't like it, so you never know - we're all built different.

Good luck, and have a great time on your trip!

FWIW, if your sit bones hurt after the first or second time on the saddle, maybe there's nothing wrong with the way the saddle fits, since you should be sitting on your sit bones. You should get used to the pressure after a few short rides. I was riding a Fizik Aliante which started out very comfortable, but got worse over time because it put pressure on the soft tissue which you'll never get used to :eek: After 2500 miles on that saddle, I've just switched to a Koobi. After 2 rides, I have no pressure on the soft tissue, but happily my sit bones are a little sore since they're not used to being sat on.
And like others have said, try changing the position of the saddle fore and aft, and tilting it up or down.

Originally posted by Margaret
I could use everyone's advice on a saddle problem. I have a fairly new Novara Randonee with a Selle Royal Lookin Gel touring seat (unisex). After going on a twenty-mile ride this weekend, my sit bones are totally bruised and sore. I am pretty new to longer rides, although I've had this same problem in the past when I've gone on longer rides on vacation and so on, but since that was always on rented bikes, I didn't think much of it. Now that I have my own bike that is not just for quick rides around town and errands, etc. (and am starting to train for a week-long ride in Canada this summer and a cross-country trip next spring), I really want to get this saddle thing right.

I've done some research on the various posts on this forum and in other places, and looked at the Terry site and Hamoc site. I've never really experienced the major "girl parts" problems that other women seem to have (just some mild soreness that goes away quickly), and most of the posts and advice seem to deal with that. Does anyone else have this sit-bones problem? Any recommendations on which saddle fixed it for you? If it helps, I'm 5'6", @145 lbs., with relatively wider hips/pelvis, and most (if not all!) of my weight unfortunately around the butt and thigh.

Margaret,
Do you have a good pair of Cycling shorts? They can make the world of difference...

Also, as others have suggested, have your Bike fitted properly by a good Bike Shop, it's well worth the money...

I find that I can go through as many as 4 Pairs of Shorts every year, the padding tends to go flat after a lot of miles, and of course washes which tend to take their toll.

Also, never wear Panties under your shorts, not even a G-String, they can irritate the heck out of you after a while.

Every Girl is different, so It's impossible to suggest a comfortable Saddle for someone else, but don't skimp on those Bike shorts, the cheap ones just don't work!

Good luck!!

Originally posted by Margaret

Hi Margaret,
I'm the same height as you but a little lighter. i borrowed a friends bike once and killed my butt on a long ride. i just got my own bike, and it has a Bontrager WSD seat and it's amazing. i've had absolutely no trouble since. it supports me right at the sit bones, so it's almost like i'm sitting in just a regular chair. I love it. But if you don't get that exact seat, what i hear is that gel seats are actually bad, they shift and bulge and create weird pressure points on your butt (i've never had a gel seat though, so this is just hearsay). and also, a generally good thing is to get a seat with the split back, regardless of whether it's men's or womens.

good luck!!
lisa

Hi Margret.

One advice on how to find out your sit bone distance: sit down with your naked butt on corrugated cardboard. Measure the distance between the centre of both imprints. Now you know how wide your saddle has to be at least. I once chose a saddle that was far wider than I needed - and had problems with chafing - so you might choose one, that is just wide enough.

Good luck,
Bikechick

my new bike came with a mens seat, I think. I good seat...but not for me, a woman. it was too narrow at the sit bones and caused soreness. I put the seat I had gotten a year ago, a specialized women's body geometry one, and it's perfect.
try different seats and get fitted at your LBS, mine does it free as all good shops do.
and then adjust the seat until it's just right. and then you might want to mark with a pencil where that is just in case it ever gets moved. good luck!

mingcat9 said:
my new bike came with a mens seat, I think. I good seat...but not for me, a woman. it was too narrow at the sit bones and caused soreness. I put the seat I had gotten a year ago, a specialized women's body geometry one, and it's perfect.
try different seats and get fitted at your LBS, mine does it free as all good shops do.
and then adjust the seat until it's just right. and then you might want to mark with a pencil where that is just in case it ever gets moved. good luck!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up ordering a Brooks Champion Flyer "S" and, although I've only used it for one 20-mile ride so far, I have had NO soreness whatsoever (and I used to have soreness in my sit-bones after just 5 miles on my selle seat). The seat felt great right away and I'm looking forward to future rides.

If anyone is interested in checking out the Brooks, I highly recommend Wallingford Bikes -- www.wallbike.com. The owner, Bill Laine, is very knowledgeable about Brooks and very helpful with questions. Most importantly, he offers an unconditional 6-month return on all Brooks saddles. I have no relationship with them, just a very satisfied customer!

I had the same problem originally with my Fuji Team Bike a number of years ago, when I first got it.

I check out what the other women in my bike club were using. We do road riding of about 40-50 miles/ride at our B pace.

Many were using the Terry Butterfly and loved it. I got it and the love it. If you are doing road 'riding' you won't want a wide soft saddle. Some others got the Liberator and didn't like it. Hope this helps.

Bikingbabe said:
I had the same problem originally with my Fuji Team Bike a number of years ago, when I first got it.

I check out what the other women in my bike club were using. We do road riding of about 40-50 miles/ride at our B pace.

Many were using the Terry Butterfly and loved it. I got it and the love it. If you are doing road 'riding' you won't want a wide soft saddle. Some others got the Liberator and didn't like it. Hope this helps.

Just to clarify, for people who are looking for a new saddle and might consider a Brooks -- it is neither soft nor particularly wide (well, they have wide ones, but also narrow, also standard -- depends on the model). It's true that people who are primarily focused on racing will probably not want a Brooks, because they tend to be heavier than "modern" plastic-based saddles, and the weight trade-off may be too great (although I think Brooks may have a saddle or two meant for racers -- I'm just not sure). But if you don't care about racing or are willing to consider some extra weight, it can be a great option. Seems like Brooks is most popular with touring cyclists -- travel with (usually) loaded bikes, with 40-60 mile days, with little emphasis on speed, but a need for comfort for long, consecutive days on the bike (which made it a good choice for me).