my butt is killing me

HyperPhreak

Jan 24, 2004
what do you all do to cope with a sore butt? i did a pretty hard ride today on a rough road and my butt is killing me right now.

I replaced the narrow seat that come on most bikes like my Swhinn 10speed with a
Bell Full saddle from Walmart

Originally posted by HyperPhreak
what do you all do to cope with a sore butt? i did a pretty hard ride today on a rough road and my butt is killing me right now.

Two ideas:

1) It can't be said enough, "seat height, seat height, seat height..." I would put that puppy up way higher than you think it should be, and if your wrists start hurting, but your derriere much allieved, you know you've got a seat height issue on your hands.

And when it's too late and you're butt is already sore:

2) Massage with Arnica cream(preferably done by someone else, but that's not always as easy as it sounds) ... good for any injuries from muscle sprains to bruises.

I used to have a horrible sore butt problem, so all info comes from experience. Good luck, a sore butt can spoil a ride.

Man, my butt is so sore today...i was starting at a stoplight and i thought that my cleat was in the pedal, but it wasn't...so i stood up and started cranking away and my foot slipped off the pedal on the heel-side and the tip of the seat jammed up into my taint(aka: grundle). I had to take a breather, it was like getting kicked in the balls.

Originally posted by HyperPhreak

My advice:

1) Get a few really good pairs of shorts. I found that spending a little more made a big difference.

2) Go to a bike shop, and see if you can test ride a few different seats. The size and squishyness matters a LOT less than the shape. If you get one that's the right shape for your butt, it will disappear under you, regardless of size. I have a skinny little narrow seat, and this weekend I rode 52mi on Fri, 67 on Sat, and 68 on Sun, and I have no soreness at all.

3) Like less'go said, seat adjustment. The height needs to be right, but also experiment with tilt. The rule of thumb on height is to have a freind ride behind you, and keep raising the seat until your friend notices your hips rocking. When your seat height is right, your hips will stay perfectly level.

Good luck!

Well, one thing, when was the last time you rode? Do you wear biking shorts?

I know for me, if I take some time off, YIKES, my butt is going to hurt for the next 2 days.. Gotta to toughen up those muscles or whatever goes on in that area

Remember , most of your weight is taken on your legs ; as you get stronger then your butt hurts less , if you keep having trouble after setting the saddle correctly then try one of the anti-prostate type saddles but remember just because a strong/pro cyclist can use a minimalist saddle that doesn´t mean that an average joe can . try www.selleitalia.com for some good info also www.sheldonbrown.com

sweet thanks everyone for the great advice. i tilted my saddle some and now takes all the pressure off the inner par of my butt to the cheeks lol. so its cured.