My butt's sore and I smell funny... I'm sure all of you have the same problem!

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
I've got a serious question, here. It's a dirty one, too.
My ass is getting really sore from all the riding I'm doing, and I'm wondering if there is a treatment for it. Right on my sit bones... the anatomical place to sit on a bike seat. I've got a specialized body geometry 05 saddle that came stock on my allez sport.
Also... my nether regions have become funny smelling ever since I made the switch to cycling specific shorts in april. I'm talking about the day after cycling, after a good (and I mean good) shower, I get a bad odor in my crotch. This isn't hygeine... it's an accumulation of bacteria that hasn't been killed by conventional methods (and you know what I mean).
So, any suggestions for my ass would be appreciated. I can't be alone in this, I know it.

I'm sure you are washing your shorts after each use. I use baby wipes before and after I ride. Use the flushable kind. Works for me. Chamois lube may help your sore ass. Would you say the pain with your sit bones is friction related or pressure related?

Markz

AmpedCycle said:
My ass is getting really sore from all the riding I'm doing, and I'm wondering if there is a treatment for it. Right on my sit bones... the anatomical place to sit on a bike seat. I've got a specialized body geometry 05 saddle that came stock on my allez sport.
Also... my nether regions have become funny smelling ever since I made the switch to cycling specific shorts in april. I'm talking about the day after cycling, after a good (and I mean good) shower, I get a bad odor in my crotch. This isn't hygeine... it's an accumulation of bacteria that hasn't been killed by conventional methods (and you know what I mean).
So, any suggestions for my ass would be appreciated. I can't be alone in this, I know it.
Try soaking your cycling shorts in bleach and then slip them on before it drains away,that'll cure it for sure :eek: !!
Seriously though ,err dunno :D

I am only going to comment on the sit bone pain. I tried out several bikes and one of them was a Specialized Allez. After fifteen minutes on a trainer pedaling lightly, my sit bones hurt and my scrotum was numb. I bought a Trek 1500 and it doesn't cause any pain and I don't get numb. Maybe you should change the seat. As for the other issue...

duhhuh said:
I am only going to comment on the sit bone pain. I tried out several bikes and one of them was a Specialized Allez. After fifteen minutes on a trainer pedaling lightly, my sit bones hurt and my scrotum was numb. I bought a Trek 1500 and it doesn't cause any pain and I don't get numb. Maybe you should change the seat. As for the other issue...
I agree the super duper thin racing ones ,REALLY thin, are painfull for me , the slightly more padded racing ones are loads better for me,padded shorts are loads better don't overdo the talc if you use it,it can aggrevate chafing ...

Markz said:
I'm sure you are washing your shorts after each use. I use baby wipes before and after I ride. Use the flushable kind. Works for me. Chamois lube may help your sore ass. Would you say the pain with your sit bones is friction related or pressure related?

Markz
The pain in my sit bones is definitely pressure related. Baby wipes, eh? Whatever can kill the bacteria... if you're sure. I was thinking about some kind of seriously antibacterial soap. Are these 100 percent effective? I'm thinking about what my girlfriend will be saying!

maybe you should go and get a doc's oppinion. see, im sure everyone smells after cycling. even if you shower b4 hand, the excersise will make you sweat and as a result, you will not be so fresh and so clean:) However, if you notice bad odor after showering, then you have a problem. if it is bacteria, then you need some kind of anti-biotic or something to kill it, b4 it gets worse. hopefully it wouldnt, and yeah, use the wipes and see wut happens. if nothin, then get it checked out. you neva know!:D

AmpedCycle said:
Am I missing something here? How can you smell your crotch :confused:

Reminds me of the joke: Why does a dog lick his balls? Because he can!! :D

Good luck.

refinnej said:
maybe you should go and get a doc's oppinion. see, im sure everyone smells after cycling. even if you shower b4 hand, the excersise will make you sweat and as a result, you will not be so fresh and so clean:) However, if you notice bad odor after showering, then you have a problem. if it is bacteria, then you need some kind of anti-biotic or something to kill it, b4 it gets worse. hopefully it wouldnt, and yeah, use the wipes and see wut happens. if nothin, then get it checked out. you neva know!:D

Only a doc would be paid enough to sniff someone's crotch. :D
Have you tried anti-bacteria soap (ie Dial)?
And washing your shorts on a daily basis is important.

Well I don't think the odor is bacteria but rather fungi. Try an antimicotic, soap alone just won't work...

Of course its possible to have athlets' crouch!!...
Fungi proliferate under humid conditions like in there...

Use something called Hibiclens, this stuff helped me when i was getting saddle sores, and i use it after most rides of more than 2 hours. Also air dry and then use some powder down there, something like gold bond. As for pressure sores you need a new saddle, or your positioning is off and you have too much weight on your butt and not on your hands.

another thing that works well for those pressure sores is Preparation H, rub it on after you get all cleaned up after a ride. And maybe something antibacterial before a ride.

AmpedCycle said:

Ok try this: After shower on dry ass put some H2O2 (hydro-peroxid) 3% and after H2O2 use baby powder. And all other places where your skin is ok and smell funny use medical alcohol (75%). This method will kill all know bacteria but they can not kill spore. Also use some Antibiotic and Antimicotic creams.
My sugestion also is to put your bike short in medic alcohol after washing, and use sun much as you can for drying the short (ultra-violet ray's are good antibiotic stuff).

Serbian_SPIRIT said:
My sugestion also is to put your bike short in medic alcohol after washing, and use sun much as you can for drying the short (ultra-violet ray's are good antibiotic stuff).
I've heard that women who have certain problems put their underwear in the microwave to kill any remaining microbes that washing alone hasn't taken care of. Cycling shorts unlike cotton underwear shouldn't even be washed in hot water and definitely no bleach so it might be worth a try. It might be easier on the cloth than alcohol, but please note I've never tried this with any clothing much less cycling shorts so, I don't know how they will react -they might get hot and melt!

duhhuh said:
You are sitting on your soft tissue .... change seat angle

AmpedCycle said:
The pain in my sit bones is definitely pressure related. Baby wipes, eh? Whatever can kill the bacteria... if you're sure. I was thinking about some kind of seriously antibacterial soap. Are these 100 percent effective? I'm thinking about what my girlfriend will be saying!
Peroxide and iodine will kill anything without aggravating your skin condition.

Some ppl are lucky (me) and have a very forgiving skin. Chamois have to be padded, washed, rinsed and dried IN THE DRYER!

The heat in the dryer will kill any kind of organism that was left alive by the soap and washing. My chamois have survived such treatment with success after countless wash/dry cycles.

shming123 said:
another thing that works well for those pressure sores is Preparation H, rub it on after you get all cleaned up after a ride. And maybe something antibacterial before a ride.
x2 .... indeed before and after antibacterial will definitevily help to solve the prob.

Canesten anti-fungal topical SOLUTION (not cream). Twice a day, keep going for 2 weeks after smell goes. If you're like me, it'll come back and you'll need to re-treat. Forever. :(