My clipless pedals are hard to get out?

Peppy Tri Mom

Apr 6, 2005
I have a pair of Look Clipless pedals. I keep thinking they will break in and get easier to get out of. I've had them for almost a year. I feel like I wratchet my knee trying to twist my foot out each time. I was wondering if it was because I'm shorter and a female without as much leg strength? I think I have all the tension off of them, which didn't really seem to make any difference that I could tell.

Any Advice?

Virtually all clipless pedals are adjustible tension. There is a screw next to the clamping spring, and sometimes they make it even easier by printing a +- on it.

As far as I know, I have them set to the easiest exit. I turned the dial the other way just to make sure. When it was all the way "+", I couldn't even step into them.

Even at the easiest setting, it just seems I have to twist my foot so far out and so hard to release them. Maybe this is just the way they work? I kept thinking that it would get easier. I also have a dial on mine that says 0, 3,6, and 9. I set it to 0 today. It was set on 3. But I think that has to do with the amount of freedom your foot has on the pedal.

Peppy Tri Mom said:
As far as I know, I have them set to the easiest exit. I turned the dial the other way just to make sure. When it was all the way "+", I couldn't even step into them.

Even at the easiest setting, it just seems I have to twist my foot so far out and so hard to release them. Maybe this is just the way they work? I kept thinking that it would get easier. I also have a dial on mine that says 0, 3,6, and 9. I set it to 0 today. It was set on 3. But I think that has to do with the amount of freedom your foot has on the pedal.

Try kicking your heel inward toward the frame instead of out. I believe if you get use to this it will solve your problem.
If it does, tighten your setting a little more so you will get a crisp release instead of a mushy one.

Also, what colour cleats do you use with them? The black cleats are a firmer fit in the pedal due to having less float (lateral movement) but the red ones have a bit more side to side movement (to allow for shifts in knee position etc to prevent sore knees). I have found that they are a bit easier to unclip.

I had the opposite problem, that even with new red cleats I was tending to pull my foot. Mind you that was for track sprinting, so I should have been using a different pedal system anyway. So I switched to black cleats.

Also, maybe your pedals need a bit of lubrication? Try spraying some WD40 (using the long nozzle) into the bits that open up slightly to receive the cleat.

If all that fails... do some leg presses :rolleyes: jks
Best of luck with it.

Peppy Tri Mom said:

If this is still an issue after you have tried all the recommendations you may want to consider switching pedals. Find a friend with a different pedal system and shoes close to your size and try them out on a trainer. My first alternate recommendations would be Speedplay and Time.

Thanks for all the great tips, actually each one of them helped. I lubricated the pedals with bike oil, took out some float and kicking your heels in works GREAT. Its not a natural movement, so it takes some time to get used to.

I didn't try the black clips yet, but I'm going to pick some up. I'm also looking at a new bike that comes with speedplay pedals standard, so I guess I'm going to get to try them too.

Thanks!

Peppy Tri Mom said:
I have a pair of Look Clipless pedals. I keep thinking they will break in and get easier to get out of. I've had them for almost a year. I feel like I wratchet my knee trying to twist my foot out each time. I was wondering if it was because I'm shorter and a female without as much leg strength? I think I have all the tension off of them, which didn't really seem to make any difference that I could tell.

Any Advice?
Do you lubricate your cleats regularly? You are supposed to give them a spray of dry lubricant every other ride. I spray mine every ride to be on the safe side as I already have one bum knee. If I hadn't I may have two bum knees after todays ride. I turned a corner and a van seemed to come from noplace. When I slammed on the brakes I was in sand and the bike came out from under me but unclipped from my cleats. I'm a little cut up but i"ll live.

Another vote for Speedplay here. I have the Frogs, and they're pretty well idiot proof. I haven't fallen over yet, and that is saying something!

One caveat--with the Frogs, your foot isn't really "clipped" in, as your heels can swing out without any resistance whatever. Swing them out past 20 degrees, and you're out of the pedal. So if you want a rock-solid, secure feeling when clipped in, Frogs aren't for you. However, since swinging your heels out that far isn't a normal cycling manuver, I don't see it as a problem.

tinuvielberen said:
Another vote for Speedplay here. I have the Frogs, and they're pretty well idiot proof. I haven't fallen over yet, and that is saying something!

One caveat--with the Frogs, your foot isn't really "clipped" in, as your heels can swing out without any resistance whatever. Swing them out past 20 degrees, and you're out of the pedal. So if you want a rock-solid, secure feeling when clipped in, Frogs aren't for you. However, since swinging your heels out that far isn't a normal cycling manuver, I don't see it as a problem.
I was back and forth for a while on which type pedals to get as I have limited sideward mobility of my left leg to begin with. I had done some research and decided Speedplay would be the best choice but ultimately left my fate in the hands of the bike shop owner who seemed very knowledgable once I described the nature of my previous injury. I'm very glad I did! :)

UPDATE: I switched to Shimano SPD's. I tried the regular SPD cleats and the multi directional cleats. Although the multi directional ones were really easy to get out of, they were almost too easy. So I went to the regular ones. They are really easy to get out of, haven't fallen yet. On the negative side: I would prefer more float and I have a hard time getting one foot IN vs. the other. I still like the way my "look" pedals felt, but these have released every near miss accident.

To do over again, I would have started with speedplay first. They sound nice and after questioning every rider, they are all happy with them. The girls with SPD"s seem to all like the easy release though.

If I switch AGAIN...I'll update my thread.

Peppy Tri Mom said:
UPDATE: I switched to Shimano SPD's. I tried the regular SPD cleats and the multi directional cleats. Although the multi directional ones were really easy to get out of, they were almost too easy. So I went to the regular ones. They are really easy to get out of, haven't fallen yet. On the negative side: I would prefer more float and I have a hard time getting one foot IN vs. the other. I still like the way my "look" pedals felt, but these have released every near miss accident.

To do over again, I would have started with speedplay first. They sound nice and after questioning every rider, they are all happy with them. The girls with SPD"s seem to all like the easy release though.

If I switch AGAIN...I'll update my thread.
I would definetly recommend switching to speedplay if you have the means. I can say with some certainty that they literally saved my life from a speeding, swerving, more than likely drunk driver last week when they came unclipped as I slid in a sand pile after slamming on the brakes. I walked away with only cuts and scrapes. You'll also get the float you've been missing and have no trouble getting them in or out as long as you give your cleats a spray of dry lube before riding.