My Commute

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cletus D . Lee, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. It is not as nice as Beth's and there are no moose. (unless you count the guy on the 'bent tandem)
    But here are some pic of my ride home from work Monday and Tuesday evening. BTW the emp was ~65.

    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Commute/index.htm

    This was an exercise to see how well my camera worked with the RAM mount on the H/B.
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tags:

  2. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is not as nice as Beth's and there are no moose. (unless you count the guy on the 'bent tandem)
    > But here are some pic of my ride home from work Monday and Tuesday evening. BTW the emp was ~65.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Commute/index.htm
    >
    > This was an exercise to see how well my camera worked with the RAM mount on the H/B.

    Looks like alot of nice deserted bike trails!

    does that open grate bridge make you freak out?

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > It is not as nice as Beth's and there are no moose. (unless you count the guy on the 'bent tandem)
    > But here are some pic of my ride home from work Monday and Tuesday evening. BTW the emp was ~65.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Commute/index.htm

    With temps and trails like that, you leave me envious...<sigh>

    rorschandt it snows every other day, current temp 15F, wind 9mph

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Looks like alot of nice deserted bike trails!

    What can you expect to find in the middle of winter? Wait 'til Spring when all the jigglers are out.

    > does that open grate bridge make you freak out?

    It makes a really cool humming sound when you cross it. And (as I found out once when I had a MTB),
    it can be quite treacherous in the early morning dew.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Cletus, I KNOW AND REMEMBER THAT AREA WHERE YOU COMMUTE! Thanks for bringing back Great Memories for
    this Native Houston person!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta
    Aero Pilot)

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is not as nice as Beth's and there are no moose. (unless you count the guy on the 'bent tandem)
    > But here are some pic of my ride home from work Monday and Tuesday evening. BTW the emp was ~65.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Commute/index.htm
    >
    > This was an exercise to see how well my camera worked with the RAM mount on the H/B.
    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. PS: GREAT picts Cletus! What kind of camera were you using? EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti,
    Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is not as nice as Beth's and there are no moose. (unless you count the guy on the 'bent tandem)
    > But here are some pic of my ride home from work Monday and Tuesday evening. BTW the emp was ~65.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Commute/index.htm
    >
    > This was an exercise to see how well my camera worked with the RAM mount on the H/B.
    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "EZ Biker :-\)"
    <[email protected]> says...
    > PS: GREAT picts Cletus! What kind of camera were you using? EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR
    > Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    Canon Powershot S45 (4meg). Photos on the web have been reduced in resolution from 2272X1704 to
    1024X768. When I get back from a weekend trip, I will post a picture of the RAM Mounted Camera.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  8. Crispy

    Crispy Guest

    Wow! So that's what green trees look like! How soon we forget. Still in the grips of deep winter
    here in northern Illinois. Thanks for the promise of Spring.

    crispy

  9. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Ken, thank you so much for showing us! It reminded me of my 3-week stay in Japan and especially the
    Tokyo suburb where the glass art school was, the train station there with all the bikes. Are those
    streets as clean as they look in your photos? And do they still sell miso soup at McDonald's?

    C.C.

    > From: Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> Organization: Airnews.net! at Internet
    > America Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:42:24 +0900 Subject:
    > Re: My Commute
    >

    > That reminds me, I took some photos of my commute last fall but never posted it. Here it is:
    >
    > http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/bent/commute/
    >
    > Click on each photo to get larger versions. Actually it's not my commute but a 3-mile trip from my
    > work (very close to where I live) to the nearest train station. This place is in the Mitaka area,
    > about 20 miles west of central Tokyo.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  10. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Thanks for the mainphoto of your shadow. I like the implication of the presence of the observer, the
    ghost on the machine. Good art.

    C.C.

    > From: Cletus Lee <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003
    > 07:04:57 -0600 Subject: Re: My Commute

    >> Looks like alot of nice deserted bike trails!
    >
    > What can you expect to find in the middle of winter? Wait 'til Spring when all the jigglers
    > are out.
    >>
    >> does that open grate bridge make you freak out?
    >
    > It makes a really cool humming sound when you cross it. And (as I found out once when I had a
    > MTB), it can be quite treacherous in the early morning dew.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  11. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Mmmm, McSeaweed. Carol Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA712ECB.4486E%[email protected]...
    > Ken, thank you so much for showing us! It reminded me of my 3-week stay
    in
    > Japan and especially the Tokyo suburb where the glass art school was, the train station there with
    > all the bikes. Are those streets as clean as
    they
    > look in your photos? And do they still sell miso soup at McDonald's?
    >
    > C.C.
    >
    > > From: Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> Organization: Airnews.net! at Internet
    > > America Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:42:24 +0900 Subject:
    > > Re: My Commute
    > >

    > > That reminds me, I took some photos of my commute last fall but never posted it. Here it is:
    > >
    > > http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/bent/commute/
    > >
    > > Click on each photo to get larger versions. Actually it's not my commute but a 3-mile trip from
    > > my work (very close to where I live) to the nearest train station. This place is in the Mitaka
    > > area, about 20 miles west of central Tokyo.
    > >
    > > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  12. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...

    > That reminds me, I took some photos of my commute last fall but never posted it. Here it is:
    >
    > http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/bent/commute/
    >
    > Click on each photo to get larger versions. Actually it's not my commute but a 3-mile trip from my
    > work (very close to where I live) to the nearest train station. This place is in the Mitaka area,
    > about 20 miles west of central Tokyo.

    Hey! WAY COOL! I love the underground bike storage place. I need one!

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Cletus Lee wrote:

    > ... What can you expect to find in the middle of winter? Wait 'til Spring > when all the jigglers
    > are out....

    "Jigglers" = flabby joggers?

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  14. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

  15. Here is my 55km / ~34miles exercise route : http://www.hpv-klub.dk/turforslag/arresoe_55/default.asp
    Temp -5 C / 23F (= cold feet, everything else OK) Wind : a little. Canon PowerShot S40 - pic's
    resized to max 600 pix width or height.

    Disregard the painting - just trying to remember summer. Torben

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It is not as nice as Beth's and there are no moose. (unless you count the guy on the 'bent tandem)
    > But here are some pic of my ride home from work Monday and Tuesday evening. BTW the emp was ~65.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Commute/index.htm
    >
    > This was an exercise to see how well my camera worked with the RAM mount on the H/B.
    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Here is my 55km / ~34miles exercise route :
    > http://www.hpv-klub.dk/turforslag/arresoe_55/default.asp Temp -5 C / 23F (= cold feet, everything
    > else OK) Wind : a little. Canon PowerShot S40 - pic's resized to max 600 pix width or height.
    >
    > Disregard the painting - just trying to remember summer. Torben

    It was _that_ L. A. Ring painting recently on tour at the Houston MFA that decided for me that a
    bike tour in Denmark was in my future!!!

    BTW What is that white dusting that shows up in all your photos?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  17. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > From: "BethF" <[email protected]>

    >> http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/bent/commute/
    >>
    >> Click on each photo to get larger versions. Actually it's not my commute but a 3-mile trip from
    >> my work (very close to where I live) to the nearest train station. This place is in the Mitaka
    >> area, about 20 miles west of central Tokyo.
    >

    > Hey! WAY COOL! I love the underground bike storage place. I need one!

    They won't let you dig down through the permafrost, will they?

    BTW I heard it's 50 degrees up there and they've postponed the Iditarod? Take my weather - PLEASE -
    thermometer read zero this morning.

    C.C.

  18. "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It was _that_ L. A. Ring painting recently on tour at the Houston MFA that decided for me that a
    > bike tour in Denmark was in my future!!!
    >
    > BTW What is that white dusting that shows up in all your photos?

    I dunno - maybe some chernobyl leftovers. Or cotton from heaven. Pretty slippery BTW. It has a bad
    effect from children : http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/images/Sports.gif so keep your kids
    away, mind you.

  19. On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:48:24 -0500, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are bents catching on there?

    Bents are still very rare in Japan, but the number is definitely growing. There is now a full-time
    recumbent-only shop in Kyoto, a couple of part-time (i.e. appointment only) shops in/near Tokyo, and
    some mail order companies/shops. If I ride on the Tama River trail (one of the two major bike paths
    in the Tokyo area) on Sunday I meet maybe one recumbent an hour, though most of the time it's
    someone I already know. Recumbents used to be more expensive than in the US but recently affordable
    Taiwanese recumbents from China Mascot Products became available:

    http://www.cm-tw.com/05.html http://homepage1.nifty.com/ct-seizan/subrec0.html

    The cheapest model is 59,000 yen ($500). I haven't tride them out yet but I hear they are very well
    designed and made.

    By the way, McDonalds in Japan no longer serves Japan-specific items, at least not around here. I
    hear they are trying to standardize all their menu for efficiency even if it means ignoring regional
    differences in taste.