My commuter is (mostly) complete *VIDEO*

the cyclops

Jul 25, 2010
Wanted to have a safe,very visible and practical commuter.I think I accomplished this with out much involved.The flashlight mount isn't painted yet,and I am thinking on adding a front rack,but not really sure yet...discuss?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZMgjF2MJWs]YouTube - 2010 Jamis Allegro 1 super duper cyclops commuter[/ame]

tumbleweed2_001.gif

Well I guess I will keep posting in this thread, because no one else is, LMAO! I would love to see some other commuters and hear any more ideas on how you guys are packing and carrying stuff to and fro. I took mine out today on a 42 mile ride from the house (round trip) to the park in Newton,NC and then back home. Had a blast but a little sun-burnt :eek:

the cyclops said:
Well I guess I will keep posting in this thread, because no one else is, LMAO! I would love to see some other commuters and hear any more ideas on how you guys are packing and carrying stuff to and fro. I took mine out today on a 42 mile ride from the house (round trip) to the park in Newton,NC and then back home. Had a blast but a little sun-burnt :eek:

Holy Grail, Batman! That suitcase is big enough to pack everything you need to survive a multi-year quest for biblical dinnerware! Was that just for today's 42 mile ride? What all did you have in that steamer trunk?

For my commutes in the last few years--17 miles each direction--I put books, snacks, sometimes clothes (explanation in a few moments), and usually some sort of device with buckles, leather, and holsters that sharply increases the sexual tension in a room, whilst giving off the odor of wanton perversions and questionable decision making. I typically take a week's worth of clothes to my destination, although sometimes I does forget. Once I arrive there are showers so that I can perform my daily ablutions. Everything goes in a book bag.

alienator said:
Holy Grail, Batman! That suitcase is big enough to pack everything you need to survive a multi-year quest for biblical dinnerware! Was that just for today's 42 mile ride? What all did you have in that steamer trunk?

For my commutes in the last few years--17 miles each direction--I put books, snacks, sometimes clothes (explanation in a few moments), and usually some sort of device with buckles, leather, and holsters that sharply increases the sexual tension in a room, whilst giving off the odor of wanton perversions and questionable decision making. I typically take a week's worth of clothes to my destination, although sometimes I does forget. Once I arrive there are showers so that I can perform my daily ablutions. Everything goes in a book bag.
Well...Im not sure where to begin w/that post :confused:...But in the pic,it was actually a small camera bag,(Filled w/a peanut butter sandwich,almonds,energy gels,and a camera)2 powerades in a blue plastic bag and an extra shirt.It was really hot,so wanted to make sure I didnt dehydrate,or ruin my shirt,lol...So please elaborate on the wanton perversions and questionable decision making :p

the cyclops said:
Well...Im not sure where to begin w/that post :confused:...But in the pic,it was actually a small camera bag,(Filled w/a peanut butter sandwich,almonds,energy gels,and a camera)2 powerades in a blue plastic bag and an extra shirt.It was really hot,so wanted to make sure I didnt dehydrate,or ruin my shirt,lol...So please elaborate on the wanton perversions and questionable decision making :p

Maybe I should have added a ";)" or a ":D" to my post as a clue to my inclusion of sophisticated humor. What kind of shirt was it that you didn't want to ruin?

alienator said:
Maybe I should have added a ";)" or a ":D" to my post as a clue to my inclusion of sophisticated humor. What kind of shirt was it that you didn't want to ruin?
LOL,No I got the humor, and I too have a "charming smile and a rapist wit":)...I am a sweater man,I sweat like a crackhead at a road block,so I brought an extra shirt because I can literally wring my shirt out after a ride like that..

Well thanks to the advice of alienator,I have done away with the giant ugly rack on the back,and opted for a backpack(which is also reflective,as well as reflective gloves and helmet)...Here is the way she looks under lights...too much?

the cyclops said:
Well thanks to the advice of alienator,I have done away with the giant ugly rack on the back,and opted for a backpack(which is also reflective,as well as reflective gloves and helmet)...Here is the way she looks under lights...too much?

Oh, man. Now I'll be the escape goat (;)) if you don't like the backpack option.

Your bike looks like it will be very visible.

alienator said:
Oh, man. Now I'll be the escape goat (;)) if you don't like the backpack option.

Your bike looks like it will be very visible.
Well I just took it off,I didnt have it melted down or anything lol,and by GOAT,do you mean Greatest Of All Time :D

Nice flashlight mount :) I've been looking into adapting my bike for night commuting (I get out of class at 10pm and don't really like having to waste money on bus fare :p). So far I've got the flashlight (well, a Fenix Flashlight mount and my regular flashlight =P) and... that's all I could think of until I stumbled upon this thread =P now these items are in the soon-to-buy list:
-Rear light (to replace reflector)
-Tire ring reflecting thingies... =P

I'm also looking for a rear rack and a basket. I know you mentioned you'll do without those now and just carry a backpack but I have to say I strongly advice against that if you are going to commute. I commute 5 miles from my home to my college and I carry my stuff on a backpack (only a couple notebooks, a binder, my nook, and about 10 lb of supplies) and it leads to some really annoying (although not unbearable... yet) lower back pains after 20 minutes of riding. I'll be purchasing a rear rack + wire baskets to carry my load from now on. I saw this other bike with them, and they folded into a really compact position when unused and did not look clunky at all.

The Wald 520 Rear Twin Bicycle Carrier Basket looks big enough to fit my backpack and it's only just over $30 on amazon so I'll be getting that one.

None of my equipment is reflective, I have a regular bell helmet and black gloves and usually ride in street clothes (bike clothes will come when I can afford them :p), but I think with the two lights and the reflective tires I should be visible plenty. What do you think?

sahcnam said:
Nice flashlight mount :) I've been looking into adapting my bike for night commuting (I get out of class at 10pm and don't really like having to waste money on bus fare :p). So far I've got the flashlight (well, a Fenix Flashlight mount and my regular flashlight =P) and... that's all I could think of until I stumbled upon this thread =P now these items are in the soon-to-buy list:
-Rear light (to replace reflector)
-Tire ring reflecting thingies... =P

I'm also looking for a rear rack and a basket. I know you mentioned you'll do without those now and just carry a backpack but I have to say I strongly advice against that if you are going to commute. I commute 5 miles from my home to my college and I carry my stuff on a backpack (only a couple notebooks, a binder, my nook, and about 10 lb of supplies) and it leads to some really annoying (although not unbearable... yet) lower back pains after 20 minutes of riding. I'll be purchasing a rear rack + wire baskets to carry my load from now on. I saw this other bike with them, and they folded into a really compact position when unused and did not look clunky at all.

The Wald 520 Rear Twin Bicycle Carrier Basket looks big enough to fit my backpack and it's only just over $30 on amazon so I'll be getting that one.

None of my equipment is reflective, I have a regular bell helmet and black gloves and usually ride in street clothes (bike clothes will come when I can afford them :p), but I think with the two lights and the reflective tires I should be visible plenty. What do you think?

I had alot of fun trying to get my bike visible,so just be creative and think BRIGHT,lol...The tires came with the reflective strips already on them as do alot of tires.I might add the rack again,who knows? but I can say that these two things are seriuosly peaking my interest...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Bicycle-Cargo-Trailer-yellow-Black/dp/B0029KBA26]Amazon.com: Aosom Bicycle Bike Cargo Trailer-yellow and Black: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Burley 2009 Nomad Cargo Trailer from ModernBike.com

Hey guys! I may be late into this thread but have you considered a versatile and easy to use trailer? There's a brand new one on the market, the Maya Cycle (www.mayacycle.com). It has a kickstand that holds the trailer and bicycle upright and it converts into a wheelbarrow. You don't need tools to put it on and take it off the bicycle. It's actually pretty awesome and it comes with a bag! Let me know your thoughts on the design. Check out the site and let me know what you think :)