My computer+ Virus = full system boot

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by AngieRose, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. AngieRose

    AngieRose Guest

    So I came home for lunch yesterday and the computer wouldn't do ANYTHING!!!!
    so I tried to run Norton Anti virus but the virus had attacked it so I
    couldn't even do that. I did that thing that the computer goes back a few
    weeks that didn't work. DH called HP support and they worked for hours
    trying to get it to work but couldn't so the guy helped DH to find a way to
    burn some info and we had to reinstall windows :eek:( if this is the worse
    thing that happens around my birthday it just might be a good one.:eek:)

    Angie

    Tags:

  2. Lorelei

    Lorelei Guest

    "AngieRose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So I came home for lunch yesterday and the computer wouldn't do
    > ANYTHING!!!!
    > so I tried to run Norton Anti virus but the virus had attacked it so I
    > couldn't even do that. I did that thing that the computer goes back a few
    > weeks that didn't work. DH called HP support and they worked for hours
    > trying to get it to work but couldn't so the guy helped DH to find a way
    > burn some info and we had to reinstall windows :eek:( if this is the worse
    > thing that happens around my birthday it just might be a good one.:eek:)
    >
    > Angie

    My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have to do
    some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them didn't
    follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the restore
    program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to clean/delete or
    even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a full
    destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to smack
    around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I wish they'd
    go play with fire instead.

    --
    Lori

    (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    restart Jan 1. 2005
    170/160/145

    Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer 12/31/2004
    40 yr and 1 day old
    failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the usual 18-24 mo)
    now on Radiation for pain(done)
    starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical trial
    in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

    Lori

    (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    restart Jan 1. 2005
    170/161/145

    Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer 12/31/2004
    failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the usual 18-24 mo)
    now on Radiation for pain(done)
    starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical trial
    in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

  3. FOB

    FOB Guest

    I am forever preaching the value of having at least a separate petition, if
    not a second physical drive, to keep one's data on. While not a 100%
    protection, it does save it from most reformat situations.

    With regard to the virus in the restore files, what you need to do is turn
    off restore and then turn it on again. Turning it off deletes all the
    restore files. You need to be logged in as administrator to do this.

    In news:[email protected],
    Lorelei <[email protected]> stated

    | My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    | to do some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    | didn't follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in
    | the restore program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    | clean/delete or even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I
    | had to do a full destructive restore and lost all of my photos from
    | the last 2 yrs. thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted
    | but I'd like to smack around one of the those destructive pigs for
    | invading my shit. I wish they'd go play with fire instead.
    |
    | --
    | Lori
    |

    | (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    | restart Jan 1. 2005
    | 170/160/145
    |

    | Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    | 12/31/2004 40 yr and 1 day old
    | failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the usual
    | 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    | starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    | trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller
    |

    | Lori
    |

    | (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    | restart Jan 1. 2005
    | 170/161/145
    |

    | Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    | 12/31/2004 failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the
    | usual 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    | starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    | trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

  4. FOB

    FOB Guest

    I am forever preaching the value of having at least a separate petition, if
    not a second physical drive, to keep one's data on. While not a 100%
    protection, it does save it from most reformat situations.

    With regard to the virus in the restore files, what you need to do is turn
    off restore and then turn it on again. Turning it off deletes all the
    restore files. You need to be logged in as administrator to do this.

    In news:[email protected],
    Lorelei <[email protected]> stated

    | My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    | to do some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    | didn't follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in
    | the restore program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    | clean/delete or even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I
    | had to do a full destructive restore and lost all of my photos from
    | the last 2 yrs. thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted
    | but I'd like to smack around one of the those destructive pigs for
    | invading my shit. I wish they'd go play with fire instead.
    |
    | --
    | Lori
    |

    | (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    | restart Jan 1. 2005
    | 170/160/145
    |

    | Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    | 12/31/2004 40 yr and 1 day old
    | failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the usual
    | 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    | starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    | trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller
    |

    | Lori
    |

    | (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    | restart Jan 1. 2005
    | 170/161/145
    |

    | Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    | 12/31/2004 failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the
    | usual 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    | starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    | trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

  5. sprudil

    sprudil Guest

    Consider Ghosting or mirroring your system on a periodic basis so that you
    can do a complete restore from a previous image. Your computer will be
    exactly as it was on the day you made the image.

    The suggestion of separate partitions is a good one. It makes it easier to
    create a ghost image and easier to backup data. You don't have to create a
    ghost image as often as you would back up data. When you reinstall a ghost
    image all your software is installed and updated and the settings are the
    same as the day it was made.

    Having to reinstall everything from scratch is a pain in the but because of
    extra hardware configuration, service packs, security updates, configuring
    printers, routers etc all has to be done.

    You can store your image on a separate partition, a DVDRW or CDRW (bootable
    is nice) depending on the size or elsewhere on your network.

    I like Norton ghost.

    Sid...

  6. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Partition!!! How did I do that?

    In news:[email protected],
    FOB <[email protected]> stated
    | I am forever preaching the value of having at least a separate
    | petition, if not a second physical drive, to keep one's data on.
    | While not a 100% protection, it does save it from most reformat
    | situations.
    |
    | With regard to the virus in the restore files, what you need to do is
    | turn off restore and then turn it on again. Turning it off deletes
    | all the restore files. You need to be logged in as administrator to
    | do this.
    |
    | In news:[email protected],
    | Lorelei <[email protected]> stated
    || My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    || to do some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    || didn't follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in
    || the restore program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    || clean/delete or even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I
    || had to do a full destructive restore and lost all of my photos from
    || the last 2 yrs. thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted
    || but I'd like to smack around one of the those destructive pigs for
    || invading my shit. I wish they'd go play with fire instead.
    || --
    || Lori
    || (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    || restart Jan 1. 2005
    || 170/160/145
    || Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    || 12/31/2004 40 yr and 1 day old
    || failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the usual
    || 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    || starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    || trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller
    || Lori
    || (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    || restart Jan 1. 2005
    || 170/161/145
    || Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    || 12/31/2004 failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the
    || usual 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    || starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    || trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

  7. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:07:57 GMT, sprudil <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Consider Ghosting or mirroring your system on a periodic basis so that
    > you
    > can do a complete restore from a previous image. Your computer will be
    > exactly as it was on the day you made the image.
    >
    > The suggestion of separate partitions is a good one. It makes it easier
    > create a ghost image and easier to backup data. You don't have to
    > create a
    > ghost image as often as you would back up data. When you reinstall a
    > ghost
    > image all your software is installed and updated and the settings are the
    > same as the day it was made.
    >
    > Having to reinstall everything from scratch is a pain in the but because
    > of
    > extra hardware configuration, service packs, security updates,
    > configuring
    > printers, routers etc all has to be done.
    >
    > You can store your image on a separate partition, a DVDRW or CDRW
    > (bootable
    > is nice) depending on the size or elsewhere on your network.
    >
    > I like Norton ghost.
    >
    > Sid...

    I'm also using Norton Ghost, although I use a second hard drive. I may
    also start using CDs.

    --
    Bob in CT

  8. sprudil

    sprudil Guest

    > > is nice) depending on the size or elsewhere on your network.
    > >
    > > I like Norton ghost.
    > >
    > > Sid...
    > >

    > I'm also using Norton Ghost, although I use a second hard drive. I may
    > also start using CDs.
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT

    Removable mobile racks are cheap and make swapping hard drives easier. I
    have some older hard drives that I keep around for data backup or ghost
    storage. You can even get adapters that would allow you to use a laptop
    hard drive in the desktop. I have one.

    Sid...

  9. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:52:33 GMT, Carmen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 4-Feb-2005, "Lorelei" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    >> to do
    >> some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    >> didn't
    >> follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the
    >> restore
    >> program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    >> clean/delete or
    >> even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a
    >> full
    >> destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    >> thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to
    >> smack
    >> around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I
    >> wish they'd
    >> go play with fire instead.

    > These are Curt's daughters you're referring to? I hope like hell he
    > doesn't ever read your messages on Usenet. That would hurt any decent
    > parent.
    > It can't be good for those girls to be around you.
    >
    > Carmen

    I thought she meant the virus writers, not the stepdaughters.

    --
    Bob in CT

  10. Carmen

    Carmen Guest

    On 4-Feb-2005, "Lorelei" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    > to do
    > some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    > didn't
    > follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the
    > restore
    > program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    > clean/delete or
    > even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a
    > full
    > destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    > thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to
    > smack
    > around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I
    > wish they'd
    > go play with fire instead.

    These are Curt's daughters you're referring to? I hope like hell he
    doesn't ever read your messages on Usenet. That would hurt any decent
    parent.
    It can't be good for those girls to be around you.

    Carmen

    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  11. Wysong *~

    Wysong *~ Guest

    "Lorelei" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have to do
    > some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them didn't
    > follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the restore
    > program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to clean/delete or
    > even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a full
    > destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    > thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to smack
    > around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I wish

    they'd
    > go play with fire instead.

    =============================
    You should have a CD-R/CD-RW burner on your HP PC to do BACKUPS with. Buy
    the CDs when they're on sale and do monthly or bi-monthly backups. Or
    backup everything new and of value daily. Just add them to the same CD. In
    an emergency you can even back things up to floppies.

    Also use the free Adaware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster and keep your antivirus
    program updated.
    --
    Wysong
    Age 60. Height 5'6"

  12. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Carmen wrote:
    :: On 4-Feb-2005, "Lorelei" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
[...]

    I *assumed* the comment was in reference to the virus writers. Maybe not.

    However, aside from that, whose fault is it for not having a backup of one's
    data? Computers crash, lightning strikes, HDs go bad, shit happens.
    Putting blame on the kids or the virus writers is folly. If something is
    important to you - make a backup. CD and DVD media and drives are *very*
    inexpensive.

  13. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    So did I. I could be wrong.

    --
    Cheri

    Bob M wrote in message ...

    >I thought she meant the virus writers, not the stepdaughters.
    >
    >--
    >Bob in CT

  14. "However, aside from that, whose fault is it for not having a backup of
    one's
    data? Computers crash, lightning strikes, HDs go bad, shit happens.
    Putting blame on the kids or the virus writers is folly. If something
    is
    important to you - make a backup. CD and DVD media and drives are
    *very*
    inexpensive"

    DVD's and CD's are relatively inexpensive, but they aren't very good
    backup solutions, as they are very small compared with typical hard
    drives today. I know someone will say that you only have to back up
    your data, which takes a small amount of space, but from a practical
    standpoint, that's nearly impossible and won't get done if you rely on
    that type of media. It's too hard to figure out where data is stored
    by various programs, plus lots of important config information is
    stored God only knows where by the various programs and O/S components.
    The only practical backup IMO, is either a seperate hard drive,
    either std or a USB one, together with a good backup program, like
    Ghost. I use a USB one which can contain a few complete backup images
    of both my desktop and notebook drives.

  15. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have to do
    > some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them didn't
    > follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the restore
    > program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to clean/delete or
    > even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a full
    > destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    > thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to smack
    > around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I wish they'd
    > go play with fire instead.

    Losing the photos must have been HORRIBLE! Along with keeping stuff
    like that on a separate drive from the OS, I also write them to CDs.
    Most of my photo files are from photos I scanned in, so if you printed
    them, you can get a scanner and scan them back in (and save them to a
    CD/DVD). It will be time-consuming, but then you'll HAVE them if
    something happens to either the hardcopy photos or the PC.

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"

  16. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > On 4-Feb-2005, "Lorelei" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    > > to do
    > > some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    > > didn't
    > > follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the
    > > restore
    > > program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    > > clean/delete or
    > > even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a
    > > full
    > > destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    > > thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to
    > > smack
    > > around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I
    > > wish they'd
    > > go play with fire instead.

    > These are Curt's daughters you're referring to? I hope like hell he
    > doesn't ever read your messages on Usenet. That would hurt any decent
    > parent.
    > It can't be good for those girls to be around you.

    I think she was referring to the virus authors.

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"

  17. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Most data isn't stored by programs, it's stored by users. Just because a
    program defaults to My Documents doesn't mean you have to put your stuff
    there. Reconfiguring is a pain but losing photos is a lot more painful.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    DVD's and CD's are relatively inexpensive, but they aren't very good
    backup solutions, as they are very small compared with typical hard
    drives today. I know someone will say that you only have to back up
    your data, which takes a small amount of space, but from a practical
    standpoint, that's nearly impossible and won't get done if you rely on
    that type of media. It's too hard to figure out where data is stored
    by various programs, plus lots of important config information is
    stored God only knows where by the various programs and O/S components.
    The only practical backup IMO, is either a seperate hard drive,
    either std or a USB one, together with a good backup program, like
    Ghost. I use a USB one which can contain a few complete backup images
    of both my desktop and notebook drives.

  18. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:48:09 GMT, FOB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Most data isn't stored by programs, it's stored by users. Just because a
    > program defaults to My Documents doesn't mean you have to put your stuff
    > there. Reconfiguring is a pain but losing photos is a lot more painful.
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > DVD's and CD's are relatively inexpensive, but they aren't very good
    > backup solutions, as they are very small compared with typical hard
    > drives today. I know someone will say that you only have to back up
    > your data, which takes a small amount of space, but from a practical
    > standpoint, that's nearly impossible and won't get done if you rely on
    > that type of media. It's too hard to figure out where data is stored
    > by various programs, plus lots of important config information is
    > stored God only knows where by the various programs and O/S components.
    > The only practical backup IMO, is either a seperate hard drive,
    > either std or a USB one, together with a good backup program, like
    > Ghost. I use a USB one which can contain a few complete backup images
    > of both my desktop and notebook drives.

    Ok, where are your settings for your browser stored? Your email? The
    financial data you have? Your settings for your email account, your usnet
    access settings, etc.? Your phone numbers, addresses, and other contact
    information? I find it too hard to put this on a data disk, especially
    since it's a pain the butt to figure out where half this stuff is stored.
    Just backup your entire drive to another drive. I used to keep a tape
    backup, and I was able to restore my entire hard drive when it went down.
    Believe me, it can take days to restore all of your programs and settings.

    --
    Bob in CT

  19. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
[...]

    I personally use a HD over a firewire connection on all of my machines.
    However, for those who are somehow challenged to keep an active backup, a CD
    and/or DVD can work to prevent loss of important data. Most folkds don't
    have nearly as much stuff to protect as i do, so again, a DVD can work just
    fine.

    Also, I avoid the use of software that hides my data.

  20. Lorelei

    Lorelei Guest

    "Carmen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > On 4-Feb-2005, "Lorelei" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    >> to do
    >> some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    >> didn't
    >> follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the
    >> restore
    >> program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    >> clean/delete or
    >> even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a
    >> full
    >> destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    >> thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to
    >> smack
    >> around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my shit. I
    >> wish they'd
    >> go play with fire instead.

    > These are Curt's daughters you're referring to? I hope like hell he
    > doesn't ever read your messages on Usenet. That would hurt any decent
    > parent.
    > It can't be good for those girls to be around you.
    >
    > Carmen
    >
    > --
    > Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    > Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

    OMG!!!!! when I read this just a min ago I realized that it could be taken
    wrong. I meant the people who write these invasive programs NOT MY
    STEPDAUGHTERS!!

    do you think I lost my mind? I have never posted bad things about them on
    the net!! They are nice girls. I pick them up and drive them home most of
    the time. we talk about girl stuff and curt and I am their advocate in this
    house.

    I see how you COULD have misinterpreted my post by the way I wrote it, but
    did that SOUND like me??
    Lori