My Coronary Risk profile

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by [email protected], Sep 6, 2003.

  1. I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;

    Total Cholesterol 142
    LDL 75
    HDL 52
    triglycerides 74

    Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    >
    > Total Cholesterol 142
    > LDL 75
    > HDL 52
    > triglycerides 74
    >
    > Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    I'm not a Dr. but I'de say those are good numbers. However, the subject of
    your post is misleading. Those are your cholesterol numbers. In a standard
    evaluation, your risk of getting a heart attack depends on a lot more things.
    Do you smoke? What is your age? Height/weight? Do you exercise. Gender? Family
    history? Have you had previous heart problems? etc.

    In short, sometimes even people with good cholesterol numbers get heart
    attacks and you have to watch other things too.

    Bill

  3. Bill wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    > >
    > > Total Cholesterol 142
    > > LDL 75
    > > HDL 52
    > > triglycerides 74
    > >
    > > Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    > I'm not a Dr. but I'de say those are good numbers. However, the subject of
    > your post is misleading. Those are your cholesterol numbers. In a standard
    > evaluation, your risk of getting a heart attack depends on a lot more things.
    > Do you smoke? What is your age? Height/weight? Do you exercise. Gender? Family
    > history? Have you had previous heart problems? etc.
    >
    > In short, sometimes even people with good cholesterol numbers get heart
    > attacks and you have to watch other things too.
    >
    > Bill

    Would add diabetes and hypertension to your list of risk factors.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  4. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote:

    >[email protected] ([email protected]) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    >>
    >> Total Cholesterol 142
    >> LDL 75
    >> HDL 52
    >> triglycerides 74
    >>
    >> Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    >I would say those are excellent numbers and sure wish I had your HDL
    >number. What medication are you taking? What kind of exercise program
    >are you doing? And what kind of eating program are you on? Low-fat
    >High Carb or High-Fat & Low Carb?
    >
    >Mel

    You left out , Low Fat & Good Carbs like the www.southbeachdiet.com.
    I met someone yesterday that dropped 49 pounds on this diet and
    stopped his BP medications and his Cholesterol went from bad to in the
    good range.

    Bob

  5. "Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Those are excellent numbers. To find out your odds of CHD, use
    > www.google.com and search for "heart risk calculators." I believe the
    > AHA site has one.
    >
    > [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    > >
    > > Total Cholesterol 142
    > > LDL 75
    > > HDL 52
    > > triglycerides 74
    > >
    > > Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    Doesn't mean a thing. My wife had equal to or better numbers all her life
    and hand NO other risk factors. She had tripple bypass two years ago at age
    53

    There is an advertisement for "C reactive protein" testing posted at the lab
    where I have my blood test taken for PSA. The sign says that "50 percent of
    the people with heart
    disease have low ot moderate levels of cholesterol" and therefore advise the
    C reactive protein test.

    This means a 50 / 50 correlation with cholesterol; the same odds one would
    get tossing a coin. These are the same conclusions reached by the
    Framington researchers and other studies but not the ones presented by drug
    companies to justify selling cholesterol lowering drugs.

  6. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in part:

    >[email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote:
    >
    >>[email protected] ([email protected]) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    >>>
    >>> Total Cholesterol 142
    >>> LDL 75
    >>> HDL 52
    >>> triglycerides 74
    >>>
    >>> Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    >>I would say those are excellent numbers and sure wish I had your HDL
    >>number. What medication are you taking? What kind of exercise program
    >>are you doing? And what kind of eating program are you on? Low-fat
    >>High Carb or High-Fat & Low Carb?
    >>
    >>Mel

    >You left out , Low Fat & Good Carbs like the www.southbeachdiet.com.
    >I met someone yesterday that dropped 49 pounds on this diet and
    >stopped his BP medications and his Cholesterol went from bad to in the
    >good range.

    The South Beach diet is far from being "low fat."

    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  7. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in part:

    >Jim Chinnis <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in part:

    >>>You left out , Low Fat & Good Carbs like the www.southbeachdiet.com.
    >>>I met someone yesterday that dropped 49 pounds on this diet and
    >>>stopped his BP medications and his Cholesterol went from bad to in the
    >>>good range.

    >>The South Beach diet is far from being "low fat."

    >Well South beach Diet recommends protein from Low Fat cuts of meat
    >and fish and using low fat dressings, deserts etc..... as opposed to
    >living on sausages and spare ribs and bacon ala the Atkins Diet. I
    >would consider it low fat. Notice I didn't say "no fat" .
    >

    >Bob

    It's low in saturated and trans fat. But they push olive oil as the main
    dressing, push nuts, fatty fish, etc. On their web site they say: "The South
    Beach Diet is not low-fat or low-carb. It teaches you to rely on the right
    carbs and the right fats."

    Keeping good fats up is part of the healthy part of their plan, I'd say.

    I won't pay them to tell me what the details are, though! ;-)

    I have nothing against what I can see of the SB Diet, and it looks like my own
    way of eating.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  8. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in part:

    >The only thing I don't understand about carbs is why studies seem to
    >show eating a high carb diet lowers HDL for men?

    A high percentage of carbs seems to boost triglycerides at the expense of HDL.
    But the studies have not looked at effects of the glycemic index of the diet.
    IOW, they looked very coarsely at the effect of more carbs, usually meaning
    more refined carbs, I'd bet.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  9. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    Jim Chinnis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in part:
    >
    >>Jim Chinnis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>The South Beach diet is far from being "low fat."

    >>Well South beach Diet recommends protein from Low Fat cuts of meat
    >>and fish and using low fat dressings, deserts etc..... as opposed to
    >>living on sausages and spare ribs and bacon ala the Atkins Diet. I
    >>would consider it low fat. Notice I didn't say "no fat" .
    >>

    >>Bob

    >It's low in saturated and trans fat. But they push olive oil as the main
    >dressing, push nuts, fatty fish, etc. On their web site they say: "The South
    >Beach Diet is not low-fat or low-carb. It teaches you to rely on the right
    >carbs and the right fats."
    >
    >Keeping good fats up is part of the healthy part of their plan, I'd say.
    >
    >I won't pay them to tell me what the details are, though! ;-)
    >
    >I have nothing against what I can see of the SB Diet, and it looks like my own
    >way of eating.

    Well , as you said, you don't know the details so there is no point in
    debating it I guess. The Olive oil and nuts and fatty fish are used
    for a specific reason . The food generally is low fat, as I originally
    said.

  10. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in part:

    >Jim Chinnis <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in part:

    >>>Well South beach Diet recommends protein from Low Fat cuts of meat
    >>>and fish and using low fat dressings, deserts etc..... as opposed to
    >>>living on sausages and spare ribs and bacon ala the Atkins Diet. I
    >>>would consider it low fat. Notice I didn't say "no fat" .
    >>>

    >>>Bob

    >>It's low in saturated and trans fat. But they push olive oil as the main
    >>dressing, push nuts, fatty fish, etc. On their web site they say: "The South
    >>Beach Diet is not low-fat or low-carb. It teaches you to rely on the right
    >>carbs and the right fats."
    >>
    >>Keeping good fats up is part of the healthy part of their plan, I'd say.
    >>
    >>I won't pay them to tell me what the details are, though! ;-)
    >>
    >>I have nothing against what I can see of the SB Diet, and it looks like my own
    >>way of eating.

    >Well , as you said, you don't know the details so there is no point in
    >debating it I guess. The Olive oil and nuts and fatty fish are used
    >for a specific reason . The food generally is low fat, as I originally
    >said.

    OK. They say it isn't low-fat in the first sentence on their web page that you
    cited, and you say it is. We'll leave it that way.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  11. High carbs means lower fats. "Good" fats can raise HDL. "In studies
    in which polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats were eaten in place
    of carbohydrates, these good fats decreased LDL levels and increased
    HDL levels. " See http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html
    Mel, are you having your drink a day yet? You should really read
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol.html Statins
    don't preclude moderate drinking. BTW - with my new diet my blood
    pressure has dropped from 127/80 to 110/70 now. I wasn't expecting
    that. Tomorrow is Crestor day!

    [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote:

    > > >I would say those are excellent numbers and sure wish I had your HDL
    > > >number. What medication are you taking? What kind of exercise program
    > > >are you doing? And what kind of eating program are you on? Low-fat
    > > >High Carb or High-Fat & Low Carb?
    > > >
    > > >Mel

    > > You left out , Low Fat & Good Carbs like the www.southbeachdiet.com.
    > > I met someone yesterday that dropped 49 pounds on this diet and
    > > stopped his BP medications and his Cholesterol went from bad to in the
    > > good range.
    > >
    > > Bob

    > Just an oversight since I only eat good carbs. :)
    >
    > The only thing I don't understand about carbs is why studies seem to
    > show eating a high carb diet lowers HDL for men?
    >
    > Mel, eating good fats and good carbs. :)

  12. M. Schwartz

    M. Schwartz Guest

    [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    Brad, the question is why have some studies shown that a high carb
    diet lowers HDL for men?

    Zocor and booze? My information is that taking a drink a day and Zocor
    increases the possibility for liver damage. Who or what is saying
    taking a drink every day and a statin drug is okay?

    Mel

    > High carbs means lower fats. "Good" fats can raise HDL. "In studies
    > in which polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats were eaten in place
    > of carbohydrates, these good fats decreased LDL levels and increased
    > HDL levels. " See http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html
    > Mel, are you having your drink a day yet? You should really read
    > http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol.html Statins
    > don't preclude moderate drinking. BTW - with my new diet my blood
    > pressure has dropped from 127/80 to 110/70 now. I wasn't expecting
    > that. Tomorrow is Crestor day!
    >

    > [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > You left out , Low Fat & Good Carbs like the www.southbeachdiet.com.
    > > > I met someone yesterday that dropped 49 pounds on this diet and
    > > > stopped his BP medications and his Cholesterol went from bad to in the
    > > > good range.
    > > >
    > > > Bob

    > > Just an oversight since I only eat good carbs. :)
    > >
    > > The only thing I don't understand about carbs is why studies seem to
    > > show eating a high carb diet lowers HDL for men?
    > >
    > > Mel, eating good fats and good carbs. :)

  13. Mu_n River

    Mu_n River Guest

    >> [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote in message

    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    >> >
    >> > Total Cholesterol 142
    >> > LDL 75
    >> > HDL 52
    >> > triglycerides 74
    >> >
    >> > Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:35:48 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Doesn't mean a thing. My wife had equal to or better numbers all her life
    >and hand NO other risk factors. She had tripple bypass two years ago at age
    >53

    I guess those numbers of hers meant ONE thing.

    She had serious cardiac disease.

  14. Mel,

    re: why low hdl with high carbs? since unsaturated fat consumption
    will be lower with high carb diets it follows that HDL will be lower.
    A lower carb, higher "good" fat diet should raise HDL

    re: Zocor and moderate drinking. The prohibition is against any
    statin and heavy drinking, not moderate drinking. See
    http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cach...r+moderate+drinking&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8

    Note: of course, if your liver function tests are poor, don't drink
    alcohol.

    Alconol raises HDL by 10% for a comparison of the benefits of moderate
    drinking VS statin drugs see:
    http://www.acsh.org/publications/priorities/0801/pcyes.html

    BTW - got my Crestor today.

  15. [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I got my Cholesterol profile back today and here are the results;
    > >
    > > Total Cholesterol 142
    > > LDL 75
    > > HDL 52
    > > triglycerides 74
    > >
    > > Are these results fair,good or excellent?

    > I would say those are excellent numbers and sure wish I had your HDL
    > number. What medication are you taking? What kind of exercise program
    > are you doing? And what kind of eating program are you on? Low-fat
    > High Carb or High-Fat & Low Carb?
    >
    > Mel

    I eat low fat..I also smoke(3 of 4 a day) and use Androgel.The
    Androgel can raise both total cholesterol and the Ldl numbers and
    lower the HDl.I've read smoking also lowers HDL.Maybe the excellent
    profile numbers will counteract the smoking and testosterone.

  16. Bill

    Bill Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> I eat low fat..I also smoke(3 of 4 a day) and use Androgel.The

    > Androgel can raise both total cholesterol and the Ldl numbers and
    > lower the HDl.I've read smoking also lowers HDL.Maybe the excellent
    > profile numbers will counteract the smoking and testosterone.

    That's a very common trap. It's like saying I did not have anything to drink,
    so it is OK to speed. Somehow the odds will even out. If you only have 3 or 4
    cigarettes a day (I assume you mean that and not packs) why not give it up?
    You are at risk of the number increasing when you go through a tough time.
    Until you quit completely, they are much more likely to go up than down.

    Bill

  17. M. Schwartz

    M. Schwartz Guest

    [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    Brad, have you been able to get a copy of the literature from Crestor
    showing the side effects and their frequency? I am speaking of that
    little brochure or folding paper that manufacturers supply.

    Mel

    > Mel,
    >
    > Glad your liver is ok. Too bad your doc isn't up to snuff about
    > moderate drinking - which has more proven benefits than statins
    > according to several sources. I've started on my 5 mg Crestor today.
    > Just found out my drug card is going up 20% for next year! The cost
    > of health insurance is going through the roof, and I'm not going to
    > take it anymore! I'm going to drop my drug card, get the 40 mg
    > Crestor, and split it into eight parts - that is if my doc ever runs
    > out of samples.
    >
    > [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Brad, I have seen reports of studies with results showing a high carb
    > > diet lowers HDL in men.
    > >
    > > About drinking alcohol, my cardiologist said just one or two drinks a
    > > week. I don't have a problem with my liver.
    > >
    > > Mel
    > >
    > > > Mel,
    > > >
    > > > re: why low hdl with high carbs? since unsaturated fat consumption
    > > > will be lower with high carb diets it follows that HDL will be lower.
    > > > A lower carb, higher "good" fat diet should raise HDL
    > > >
    > > > re: Zocor and moderate drinking. The prohibition is against any
    > > > statin and heavy drinking, not moderate drinking. See
    > > > http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cach...r+moderate+drinking&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8
    > > >
    > > > Note: of course, if your liver function tests are poor, don't drink
    > > > alcohol.
    > > >
    > > > Alconol raises HDL by 10% for a comparison of the benefits of moderate
    > > > drinking VS statin drugs see:
    > > > http://www.acsh.org/publications/priorities/0801/pcyes.html
    > > >
    > > > BTW - got my Crestor today.

  18. Mel,

    I didn't get that in my free 30 day sample (in a nice bag with an
    offer). I looked over the side effects on
    http://www.crestor.com/c/crestor/sideeffects.asp
    and they look very mild. I didn't compare it to Lipitor, tho. It's a
    little bit of a nuisance to split the 10 mg into 5 mg, the pills have
    no notch.

    [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Brad, have you been able to get a copy of the literature from Crestor
    > showing the side effects and their frequency? I am speaking of that
    > little brochure or folding paper that manufacturers supply.
    >
    > Mel
    >
    > > Mel,
    > >
    > > Glad your liver is ok. Too bad your doc isn't up to snuff about
    > > moderate drinking - which has more proven benefits than statins
    > > according to several sources. I've started on my 5 mg Crestor today.
    > > Just found out my drug card is going up 20% for next year! The cost
    > > of health insurance is going through the roof, and I'm not going to
    > > take it anymore! I'm going to drop my drug card, get the 40 mg
    > > Crestor, and split it into eight parts - that is if my doc ever runs
    > > out of samples.
    > >
    > > [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > Brad, I have seen reports of studies with results showing a high carb
    > > > diet lowers HDL in men.
    > > >
    > > > About drinking alcohol, my cardiologist said just one or two drinks a
    > > > week. I don't have a problem with my liver.
    > > >
    > > > Mel

  19. M. Schwartz

    M. Schwartz Guest

    [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    Brad, I clicked on your link but nothing happened. I also went to
    Crestor's website and tried to get that pdf info but again nothing
    happened. I have Adobe 6.0 and just can't understand the problem.

    Mel

    > Hi Mel,
    >
    > The material you'd get with the drug is all on their website in pdf
    > form: http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/cgi-bin/az_pi.cgi?product=crestor&country=us
    >
    > It's over 25 pages long and gives you the complete info. "Clinical
    > adverse reactions" - the chart you're looking for, is on pg 17.
    >
    > [email protected] (M. Schwartz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Brad, the Crestor website doesn't provide detailed information
    > > regarding side effects. The information I am seeking is the studies
    > > done that give various side effects and their frequency.
    > >
    > > Mel
    > >
    > > > Mel,
    > > >
    > > > I didn't get that in my free 30 day sample (in a nice bag with an
    > > > offer). I looked over the side effects on
    > > > http://www.crestor.com/c/crestor/sideeffects.asp
    > > > and they look very mild. I didn't compare it to Lipitor, tho. It's a
    > > > little bit of a nuisance to split the 10 mg into 5 mg, the pills have
    > > > no notch.

  20. Mel,

    Sorry - try this link: http://www.astrazeneca-us.com/pi/crestor.pdf
    So, Mel, how's your blood pressure? Ideal is now 115/75 - mine is
    110/65 - 30 days ago it was 127/80. Are you getting a new blood test
    for your HDL soon? I'll find out my lastest lipid profile this
    Monday. I'm expecting another boost in my HDL, but we'll see.