My crotch is on fire!!!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by J . Brian Chamb, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles on
    a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night I
    did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    before, but damn.

    --Brian

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
    > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles on
    > a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night I
    > did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    > before, but damn.

    I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts :).
    Your wife/mistress will thank you :).

    David

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
    | > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    | > on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night
    | > I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    | > before, but damn.
    |
    | I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts :).
    | Your wife/mistress will thank you :).
    |
    | David

    I just returned to riding myself after a long winter off the bikes (due to an injury and work
    schedule) and I found the cutout saddles to be HORRIBLE!!! (specialized Body Geometry) I slapped my
    old skinny leather saddles back on and was fine (it still hurt - it's going to when you first get
    back on even if you mount a cloud to the seatpost)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.wtb.com/laser_v_stealth.html

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:29:32 GMT, D T W .../\... wrote:

    > http://www.wtb.com/laser_v_stealth.html

    I actually WON one of those off a mtbr.com drawing last year. What a fantastic saddle! I thought the
    one I had before that was nice, until I put it on my other bike and ride it awhile. The WTB has
    spoiled me.

  6. David Kunz wrote:
    > J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
    >
    >> I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles on
    >> a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night I
    >> did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    >> before, but damn.
    >

    > I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts :).
    > Your wife/mistress will thank you :).

    talk about having your ife/mistress thank you.... Some folks report to have incredible "staying
    power" after a long bike ride .. ;-)

  7. On 26 Apr 2003 21:59:32 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:29:32 GMT, D T W .../\... wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.wtb.com/laser_v_stealth.html
    >
    >I actually WON one of those off a mtbr.com drawing last year. What a fantastic saddle! I thought
    >the one I had before that was nice, until I put it on my other bike and ride it awhile. The WTB has
    >spoiled me.

    Okay so how much is this puppy? I just ordered a catalog but until then, how much can I expect to
    pay? I've never changed the seat on my bike. How do I know it will fit?

    --Brian

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:49:15 GMT, J Brian Chamberlin wrote:

    >>> http://www.wtb.com/laser_v_stealth.html

    > Okay so how much is this puppy? I just ordered a catalog but until then, how much can I expect to
    > pay? I've never changed the seat on my bike. How do I know it will fit?

    About $90, but you can get a synthetic-cover Speed V or leather-cover SST for about $30. The SST
    doesn't have the channel down the middle, if you're one of those that think it makes a difference.

    Most bikes (unless they're high-end) come with gawd-awful saddles. I spent several years thinking I
    couldn't ride a narrow saddle, until I got a decent one.

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles on
    > a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night I
    > did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    > before, but damn.

    If anything is hurting other than your ass cheeks, try adjusting the seat so the front is lower.
    Nothing should be touching the 'nether regions.

  10. Ruprecte

    Ruprecte Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    > > on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night
    > > I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    > > before, but damn.
    >
    > If anything is hurting other than your ass cheeks, try adjusting the seat
    so
    > the front is lower. Nothing should be touching the 'nether regions.
    >
    > -Try to stand up more often during rides in the mean time, Im a fellow
    victim of burning crotch, and yes the staying power idea is verified, oh and after reading this over
    I should point out that the burning crotch is from riding bikes..not the other. By the way where are
    you riding at? I grew up with a Brian Chamberlin.-Brian

  11. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:
    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
    > | > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    > | > on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last
    > | > night I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to
    > | > it like before, but damn.
    > |
    > | I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts :).
    > | Your wife/mistress will thank you :).
    > |
    > | David
    > |

    > I just returned to riding myself after a long winter off the bikes (due to an injury and work
    > schedule) and I found the cutout saddles to be HORRIBLE!!! (specialized Body Geometry) I slapped
    > my old skinny leather saddles back on and was fine (it still hurt - it's going to when you first
    > get back on even if you mount a cloud to the seatpost)

    I tried a lot of saddles before I found one that fit. I'm guessing that you need a skinny one with
    a cut-out :). I'm that way too. Most of the cut-out saddles are wider and cut into my legs. None of
    the ones recommended here worked for me -- all too wide. I was really happy that my LBS would let
    me try a saddle for a short before buying. This let me weed out the really bad ones and figure out
    what I needed. I ended-up with a terry men's fly trigel (the non-trigel fly's the same size/shape,
    but harder).

    David

  12. On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 23:40:58 -0700, "ruprecte" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    >> > on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last
    >> > night I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it
    >> > like before, but damn.
    >>
    >> If anything is hurting other than your ass cheeks, try adjusting the seat
    >so
    >> the front is lower. Nothing should be touching the 'nether regions.
    >>
    >> -Try to stand up more often during rides in the mean time, Im a fellow
    >victim of burning crotch, and yes the staying power idea is verified, oh and after reading this
    >over I should point out that the burning crotch is from riding bikes..not the other. By the way
    >where are you riding at? I grew up with a Brian Chamberlin.-Brian

    I'm in the Baltimore area.

    --Brian

  13. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    The Selle Italia Max Flite TransAm rides really well.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
    > | > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    > | > on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last
    > | > night I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to
    > | > it like before, but damn.
    > |
    > | I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts :).
    > | Your wife/mistress will thank you :).
    > |
    > | David
    > |

    > I just returned to riding myself after a long winter off the bikes (due to an injury and work
    > schedule) and I found the cutout saddles to be HORRIBLE!!! (specialized Body Geometry) I slapped
    > my old skinny leather saddles back on and was fine (it still hurt - it's going to when you first
    > get back on even if you mount a cloud to the seatpost)
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 4/24/2003

  14. Gazoo

    Gazoo Guest

    two words...

    . .bag balm

    "ruprecte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    > > > on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last
    > > > night I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to
    > > > it like before, but damn.
    > >
    > > If anything is hurting other than your ass cheeks, try adjusting the
    seat
    > so
    > > the front is lower. Nothing should be touching the 'nether regions.
    > >
    > > -Try to stand up more often during rides in the mean time, Im a fellow
    > victim of burning crotch, and yes the staying power idea is verified, oh
    and
    > after reading this over I should point out that the burning crotch is from riding bikes..not the
    > other. By the way where are you riding at? I grew up with a Brian Chamberlin.-Brian

  15. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Try to spend a large amount of time out of the saddle. Plus find a saddle that you can live easier
    with. It may take some time.

    Fire up MTB 03

  16. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    Yes, it does!

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | The Selle Italia Max Flite TransAm rides really well.
    |
    | --
    | - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)
    |

    | "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > |
    | > | I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts
    | > | :). Your wife/mistress will thank you :).
    | > |
    | > | David
    | > |

    | > I just returned to riding myself after a long winter off the bikes (due
    | > an injury and work schedule) and I found the cutout saddles to be HORRIBLE!!! (specialized Body
    | > Geometry) I slapped my old skinny leather saddles back on and was fine (it still hurt - it's
    | > going to when you
    first
    | > get back on even if you mount a cloud to the seatpost)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  17. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    J. Brian Chamberlin said...

    > I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles on
    > a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night I
    > did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    > before, but damn.
    >
    > --Brian

    A new saddle might help a lot, but another thing to try would be some decent cycling shorts, if you
    aren't using them already. They will keep the nads out of the way and the extra padding will let you
    ride longer more comfortably. I just bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts and two pairs of Fox
    High Frequency shorts. The padding on the Fox shorts is so thick, it feels like I am wearing a
    diaper, but you can't see it from the outside. They are some serious cycling equipment. The Fox
    shorts are on sale now at Supergo for a mere $55 (sarcasm intended). The Canyons are $60 just about
    everywhere. But they do make long rides a much more pleasant experience, so I think they are worth
    the expense.

  18. On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:59:33 GMT, SuperSlinky <[email protected]il.net> wrote:

    >J. Brian Chamberlin said...
    >
    >> I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles on
    >> a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last night I
    >> did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it like
    >> before, but damn.
    >>
    >> --Brian
    >
    >A new saddle might help a lot, but another thing to try would be some decent cycling shorts, if you
    >aren't using them already. They will keep the nads out of the way and the extra padding will let
    >you ride longer more comfortably. I just bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts and two pairs
    >of Fox High Frequency shorts. The padding on the Fox shorts is so thick, it feels like I am wearing
    >a diaper, but you can't see it from the outside. They are some serious cycling equipment. The Fox
    >shorts are on sale now at Supergo for a mere $55 (sarcasm intended). The Canyons are $60 just about
    >everywhere. But they do make long rides a much more pleasant experience, so I think they are worth
    >the expense.

    Yeah, as much as I get teased about it, I use the cycling shorts. I think I'll live through this
    tenderness. I remember going through it once before when I first started riding.

    --Brian

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > David Kunz wrote:
    > > J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just got back into mountain biking after taking 2 years off. The other night I rode 10 miles
    > >> on a flat trail just to start building some leg strength and to get my heart working. Last
    > >> night I did 20 miles. I forgot how hard this shit is on your crotch. I know I'll get used to it
    > >> like before, but damn.
    > >

    > > I'd look into one of the newer seats with a cutout to reduce crotch pressure -- no numb nuts :).
    > > Your wife/mistress will thank you :).
    >
    > talk about having your ife/mistress thank you.... Some folks report to have incredible "staying
    > power" after a long bike ride .. ;-)

    Penis desensitisation will do that to a man. Capsaicin cream has the same effect, heheheheheh.......

    Shaun aRe - never tried the cream, but I've had Hunan Bell one time too many.............

  20. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:
    > Yes, it does!

    I've got one sitting here -- it's too wide for me. Cuts into my legs.

    David