My dad needs a road bike I need help.

hitman0628

Mar 19, 2014
I need help finding a road bike for my dad. I don't know anything about road bikes, all I can say is he is 5.9 and budget is 1000 and under.

I will ask the obvious question:

Why are you choosing? At a $1k budget you should be able to find something nice at a shop; why not just take him to a bike shop and try some out?

Reactions: hitman0628
Originally Posted by hitman0628

eBay 281286099547 that looks like a really good deal?
I think that blows your budget, eh?

It works if 2500 < 1000 and your dad is 5'5" to 5'8" tall.

I suggest you and your dad visit a bike shop and have him try out a couple entry-level bikes for size. The quality is very good and the advice you'll get will be priceless.

Quote: Originally Posted by hitman0628

I need help finding a road bike for my dad. I don't know anything about road bikes, all I can say is he is 5.9 and budget is 1000 and under. Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman0628

eBay 281286099547 that looks like a really good deal?
Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I think that blows your budget, eh?

It works if 2500 < 1000 and your dad is 5'5" to 5'8" tall.

I suggest you and your dad visit a bike shop and have him try out a couple entry-level bikes for size. The quality is very good and the advice you'll get will be priceless.

FWIW. While the rider's height IS a necessary consideration, his/(her) age & fitness level are currently unstated unknowns which should-or-will ultimately be factors which a good bike shop can definitely assist with ...

BUT, be aware that the people in some bike shops may have a bias which excludes the optimal "fit" for a given type of rider(s) ...

For example, a bike which caters to mountain bikers may not be as familiar with fitting a non-Mountain bike and/or be fully versed in the pluses-and-minuses of various Road bike component brands, and vice versa.

The Cervelo could be a good deal for someone who is 5'9" & 22-to-32 years old & who doesn't mind not having the latest & greatest because he wants a "spare" training bike if his other bike has SRAM components, otherwise I believe that oldbobcat is correct when he suggests that it is (beyond being $1500+ over budget) better sized for someone who is shorter.