My daughter is a finalist in a national cooking contest

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by eunbee, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. eunbee

    eunbee Guest

    Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their creations
    have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize. My
    daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    helping out by voting, go to the site.

    Tags:

  2. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    eunbee wrote:
    > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their creations
    > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize. My
    > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > helping out by voting, go to the site.

    Funny, the voting is supposed to be for children. Are you trying to spam
    a win for yours?

    From the site:

    The judges have selected the Top 10 Finalist. Now it's up to your child
    to vote for his or her favorite!

    jim

  3. Sorry, I voted for the hedgehog cake.
    Lynn from Fargo

  4. JimLane wrote:

    > eunbee wrote:
    > > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    > > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their creations
    > > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    > > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize. My
    > > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > > helping out by voting, go to the site.
    > >

    > Funny, the voting is supposed to be for children. Are you trying to spam
    > a win for yours?

    I've heard about parents being dragooned into selling Girl Scout cookies but
    *really*...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  5. TheAlligator

    TheAlligator Guest

    "eunbee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >If you are interested in
    >helping out by voting, go to the site.

    Eunbee, I'm happy for you and very proud of your daughter (by
    long-distance, of course). But I don't think I can vote if I haven't
    tasted it and wouldn't normally have seen the site. Possibly just a
    hair over-the-line, don't you think? I mean, when my daughter was
    little she asked me to take her sales sheet to work. I explained to
    her that it would be cheating, and she understood. Personal
    responsibility and all that. She's now 16 and little lessons like
    that one made some small contribution to her being the wonderful,
    independent non-conformist that she is now.

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:45:24 GMT,
    [email protected] (TheAlligator) wrote:

    > I mean, when my daughter was
    > little she asked me to take her sales sheet to work. I explained to
    > her that it would be cheating, and she understood. Personal
    > responsibility and all that.

    You mean you weren't competing with all the other parents in
    your office? Wow! That's unusual. LOL

    sf

  7. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    TheAlligator wrote:
    > "eunbee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> If you are interested in
    >> helping out by voting, go to the site.

    > Eunbee, I'm happy for you and very proud of your daughter (by
    > long-distance, of course). But I don't think I can vote if I haven't
    > tasted it and wouldn't normally have seen the site. Possibly just a
    > hair over-the-line, don't you think? I mean, when my daughter was
    > little she asked me to take her sales sheet to work. I explained to
    > her that it would be cheating, and she understood. Personal
    > responsibility and all that. She's now 16 and little lessons like
    > that one made some small contribution to her being the wonderful,
    > independent non-conformist that she is now.

    Thank you for encouraging her to do her own "sales". I don't understand the
    parents who do the selling for their kids. Of course, I come from a time
    when we didn't have to sell stuff to have school band equipment, etc. But
    my other objection is, if I bought from one I'd feel I had to buy from them
    all and I haven't figured out how to grow a money tree yet ;)

    Jill

  8. "jmcquown" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >Thank you for encouraging her to do her own "sales". I don't understand the
    >parents who do the selling for their kids.

    I appreciated it when people would bring order forms to work. The kids
    don't usually go around door-to-door anymore, and the only way I could
    score Girl Scout cookies was to order them from Momma Bear.

    Most of the cookies now have clones on the market, so it's not such a big
    deal anymore.

    Carol

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    eunbee wrote:
    > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    creations
    > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    My
    > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > helping out by voting, go to the site.

    Why are you teaching your daughter that's it's admirable to stuff a
    ballot box?

  10. sf

    sf Guest

    On 13 Feb 2005 13:55:52 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > eunbee wrote:
    > > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    > > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    > creations
    > > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    > > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    > My
    > > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > > helping out by voting, go to the site.

    > Why are you teaching your daughter that's it's admirable to stuff a
    > ballot box?

    She didn't ask anyone to vote for her daughter and one
    poster who responded didn't vote for sushi. Personally, I
    thought 3 others were much cuter and more kidlike...
    although my 3 year old grandson does like sushi from "the
    boat place". Hmmm. Maybe it's not as weird as I thought.
    Nah, sushi cake is weird.

    sf

  11. Sheldon wrote:

    > eunbee wrote:
    > > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    > > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    > creations
    > > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    > > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    > My
    > > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > > helping out by voting, go to the site.

    > Why are you teaching your daughter that's it's admirable to stuff a
    > ballot box?

    Mom's trainin' the lil' tyke so when she gets older she won't be shy about
    asking men to "stuff" her "box"...heehee...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  12. -L.

    -L. Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Thank you for encouraging her to do her own "sales". I don't

    understand the
    > parents who do the selling for their kids. Of course, I come from a

    time
    > when we didn't have to sell stuff to have school band equipment, etc.

    But
    > my other objection is, if I bought from one I'd feel I had to buy

    from them
    > all and I haven't figured out how to grow a money tree yet ;)
    >
    > Jill

    What I hated about it when I worked is that inevitably, it was a boss
    or big boss whose kid wanted the corporate sales. You kinda hate not
    to participate.

    What I totally *don't* understand are the kids from the schools in the
    tony 'burbs who are selling stuff for football, cheerleading, band,
    etc, yet they have the poshest digs, latest equipment, etc., in their
    schools, and the kids live in million dollar houses, and their parents
    drive Beemers, etc. Pay for your own kid's damn football activites!

    When I live in the city where the schools were poor and parents have
    literally nothing, I understood and donated.

    -L.

  13. -L.

    -L. Guest

    eunbee wrote:
    > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    creations
    > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    My
    > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > helping out by voting, go to the site.

    I think Ma or Pa helped the little tykes with most of them. The only
    one that looks like a kid really did it was the "Shopt til you gumdrop"
    cake.

    -L.

  14. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > eunbee wrote:
    > > Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called

    the
    > > Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    > creations
    > > have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use

    the
    > > voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    > My
    > > daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > > helping out by voting, go to the site.

    > Why are you teaching your daughter that's it's admirable to stuff a
    > ballot box?

    She lives in Florida.

    -L.

  15. "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >eunbee wrote:
    >> Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called the
    >> Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    >creations
    >> have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use the
    >> voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    >My
    >> daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    >> helping out by voting, go to the site.

    >I think Ma or Pa helped the little tykes with most of them. The only
    >one that looks like a kid really did it was the "Shopt til you gumdrop"
    >cake.

    I finally got around to going to the site. Those kids did NOT make those
    cakes on their own! I do agree with you on the gumdrop cake, though. I
    voted for the caterpillar.

    Some people will do anything for money. Including using their children to
    commit fraud. Disgusting.

    Carol

  16. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > "-L." <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    > >eunbee wrote:
    > >> Pillsbury is sponsoring a national baking contest for kids called

    the
    > >> Kids Bake It Fun contest. 10 finalists were chosen and their

    > >creations
    > >> have been posted to www.pillsburybaking.com. The judges will use

    the
    > >> voting results in determing the winner of the 25,000 dollar prize.

    > >My
    > >> daughter came up with silly sushi cakes. If you are interested in
    > >> helping out by voting, go to the site.

    > >I think Ma or Pa helped the little tykes with most of them. The

    only
    > >one that looks like a kid really did it was the "Shopt til you

    gumdrop"
    > >cake.

    > I finally got around to going to the site. Those kids did NOT make

    those
    > cakes on their own! I do agree with you on the gumdrop cake, though.

    > voted for the caterpillar.
    >
    > Some people will do anything for money. Including using their

    children to
    > commit fraud. Disgusting.

    Then mostly you need to blame Pillsbury for their patent duplicity, all
    their contests are rife with fraudulent redolence... likely the OP
    (eunbee) is not only the bad mother of that child (if s/he really is)
    but also a Pillsbury shill. Any low IQ pinhead should be capable of
    realizing that Pillsbury runs contests primarily for product exposure
    and tax benefits and ultimately it's the consumer who foots the bill
    for all product promotions.

  17. Default User

    Default User Guest

    TheAlligator wrote:

    > I mean, when my daughter was
    > little she asked me to take her sales sheet to work. I explained to
    > her that it would be cheating, and she understood. Personal
    > responsibility and all that. She's now 16 and little lessons like
    > that one made some small contribution to her being the wonderful,
    > independent non-conformist that she is now.

    I disagree with this. For many of us, the only opportunity to buy GS
    cookies is the sheets at work. As long as the parent merely makes it
    available and doesn't go around asking people, I don't see a problem.

    Brian

  18. One time on Usenet, "Default User" <[email protected]> said:

    > TheAlligator wrote:
    >
    > > I mean, when my daughter was
    > > little she asked me to take her sales sheet to work. I explained to
    > > her that it would be cheating, and she understood. Personal
    > > responsibility and all that. She's now 16 and little lessons like
    > > that one made some small contribution to her being the wonderful,
    > > independent non-conformist that she is now.

    > I disagree with this. For many of us, the only opportunity to buy GS
    > cookies is the sheets at work. As long as the parent merely makes it
    > available and doesn't go around asking people,

    Very important distinction, Brian.

    > I don't see a problem.

    Neither do I -- and it's not as if the kids can just sell
    door-to-door anymore...

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is

  19. sf

    sf Guest

    On 13 Feb 2005 23:36:28 -0800, "-L." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I think Ma or Pa helped the little tykes with most of them. The only
    > one that looks like a kid really did it was the "Shopt til you gumdrop"
    > cake.
    >
    > -L.

    Was that the purse? To me it was the most fake.

    sf

  20. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:46:17 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I finally got around to going to the site. Those kids did NOT make those
    > cakes on their own! I do agree with you on the gumdrop cake, though. I
    > voted for the caterpillar.
    >
    > Some people will do anything for money. Including using their children to
    > commit fraud. Disgusting.

    Frankly, I didn't think for a minute that kids actually made
    the cakes on display! They were obviously "styled". I
    think the ideas came from kids, but a lot of the ideas were
    very, very old and the ones that were new weren't very
    kid-like.

    sf